New Enhancements, Dining Options Coming to Disney’s BoardWalk

Rteetz

I was a big fan of ESPN and think sports bars are very lacking at WDW. Every Sunday ESPN was full. I’m not necessarily saying it needs to stay a sports bar either tho.

This cake shop concept should be at Springs or at The Grand. This is not the Boardwalk. What the boardwalk needs IMO is something along the lines of Geyser Point (obviously not in theme) but something that has seating, is more casual for the whole family.

This isn’t something I see people going to every trip. This is a one off special experience which IMO isn’t something this area needs.

UNCgolf

Eh, I just like I can get Beaches and Cream sundaes without the Beaches and Cream nonsense.

And I thought Ample Hills was over-rated.

I meant the lack of theming is awful. That ice cream shop looks like something you'd wander into in a strip mall in the suburbs.

I agree that Ample Hills wasn't anything special, though -- there was (and is) better ice cream and gelato at Disney Springs.

Last edited:

Rteetz

I meant the lack of theming is awful. Ample Hills wasn't anything special either.

That ice cream shop looks like something you'd wander into in a strip mall in the suburbs.
At least it got a permanent sign finally. The inside isn’t much different from what it was with Ample Hills.

LSLS

I'll say this, I'd be more Ok with this if it took over the Boardwalk Bakery (or Deli, it's called Deli now, right?). This is just a HUGE space to offer some sandwiches and baked goods (which are also offered next door). But, even without the deli next door, it's what, a 10 minute walk into France if you are at the Boardwalk? Or, if you aren't in Epcot or at the Boardwalk, a much easier bus ride to Disney Springs to hit one of those 5 places as opposed to bus and transfer (or easier drive as well). All which are probably significantly less expensive. I'm sure Disney doesn't have too large a care as they get their rent either way, but we are losing something decently unique at Disney (a sports bar) for something offered at probably half a dozen places within a 1 mile walk.

ToTBellHop

I meant the lack of theming is awful. That ice cream shop looks like something you'd wander into in a strip mall in the suburbs.

I agree that Ample Hills wasn't anything special, though -- there was better ice cream and gelato at Disney Springs.
Oh absolutely. They were super lazy with that “transformation”.

doctornick

I was a big fan of ESPN and think sports bars are very lacking at WDW. Every Sunday ESPN was full. I’m not necessarily saying it needs to stay a sports bar either tho.

This cake shop concept should be at Springs or at The Grand. This is not the Boardwalk. What the boardwalk needs IMO is something along the lines of Geyser Point (obviously not in theme) but something that has seating, is more casual for the whole family.

This isn’t something I see people going to every trip. This is a one off special experience which IMO isn’t something this area needs.

Isn't that kinda what Big River Grille is? (We don't go to the Boardwalk to eat really, so I'm not that familiar).)

peter11435

Disagree strongly. ESPN fit fine and frankly should still be there or at least some sort of casual dining experience. This fru fry cake shop should be at the Grand. Everything about this upscale white fancy experience screams Grand Flo.
I had no doubt you would. You lost me when you stated “ESPN fit fine.” I think it’s perfectly reasonable to say this would fit better at the Grand. But to say this doesn’t fit thematically but be accepting of ESPN invalidates your argument.

Imagine the horror if ESPN club had never existed and Disney today announced it was being added to Boardwalk 😂

Boardwalk already has a casual dining experience, that’s what Big River is

Rteetz

I had no doubt you would. You lost me when you stated “ESPN fit fine.” I think it’s perfectly reasonable to say this would fit better at the Grand. But to say this doesn’t fit thematically but be accepting of ESPN invalidates your argument.

Imagine the horror if ESPN club had never existed and Disney today announced it was being added to Boardwalk 😂

I would be thrilled if it was announced today. Again WDW lacks sports bars. I don’t think my argument is invalid either. The exterior look of espn was reminiscent of that turn of the century boardwalk feel. This cake shop is not.

I don’t see why another casual place wouldn’t work? They have plenty of upscale or fancier dining already. A large quick service would even be beneficial. The deli is fine but I feel they could do more there. That crescent lake area lacks good fast casual dining.

LSLS

True, but the one time I went, it was food that was pretty equally as bad to ESPN. And if I remember correctly, that place was TINY, so it's tough to get into as well.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Afternoon tea and cake? This looks like something that would fit perfectly... at the Grand Floridian. They could do better than this for the former ESPN Club space. Maybe something that Boardwalk is lacking, like a quick service location? 🤷‍♂️

I don't disagree that the area could use some kind of sports bar, but I'm not sure how it would be a big draw 4 days a week. And unless it was Disney-owned and operated, that's money going into someone else's pocket. I'm sure someone suggested it, but Bob's reaction when he was told about this plan pretty much killed it:

head explode GIF

Rteetz

Afternoon tea and cake? This looks like something that would fit perfectly... at the Grand Floridian. They could do better than this for the former ESPN Club space. Maybe something that Boardwalk is lacking, like a quick service location? 🤷‍♂️

I don't disagree that the area could use some kind of sports bar, but I'm not sure how it would be a big draw 4 days a week. And unless it was Disney-owned and operated, that's money going into someone else's pocket. I'm sure someone suggested it, but Bob's reaction when he was told about this plan pretty much killed it:

head explode GIF
Disney still owns ESPN and sports do happen outside of just weekends. The World Cup is coming up, NFL games are always big. MLB has 162 games. NBA has 82 games. Bob has been adamant about adding sports betting into ESPN too. An updated ESPN could’ve worked.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney still owns ESPN and sports do happen outside of just weekends. The World Cup is coming up, NFL games are always big. MLB has 162 games. NBA has 82 games. Bob has been adamant about adding sports betting into ESPN too. An updated ESPN could’ve worked.

Fair point, I forgot about the billion-plus Disney is giving the NBA every season for broadcast rights. Anything to help make some of that back would be welcome to Bob 2.0. Hey, maybe they could show a hockey game once in a while, too. World Cup... 🤮

Sports betting on WDW property is something I'd never even imagined.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So you still believe that a place with televisions fits into a boardwalk area that is themed to turn-of-the-century Atlantic City? How many televisions were there back then?

I do agree that it would have been better to place a nice quick service restaurant there - to compliment the Flying Fish and Big River Grille, but not a sports bar. To me, that doesn't fit the theme at all.

ETA: Where I could see a sports bar is at Saratoga Springs, but since there is City Walk over at DS, I highly doubt that would happen.

Rteetz

Now, did you think that ESPN was a better fit than what is coming?
Yes
So you still believe that a place with televisions fits into a boardwalk area that is themed to turn-of-the-century Atlantic City? How many televisions were there back then?

I do agree that it would have been better to place a nice quick service restaurant there - to compliment the Flying Fish and Big River Grille, but not a sports bar. To me, that doesn't fit the theme at all.

ETA: Where I could see a sports bar is at Saratoga Springs, but since there is City Walk over at DS, I highly doubt that would happen.
Yes. More so than a swan filled cake shop.

ESPN wasn’t perfect by any means. This is just disney resorting to who will give them money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom