New Enhancements, Dining Options Coming to Disney’s BoardWalk

princess_k

I’ve been to both Cake Bake Shops in Indiana. The decor is so beautiful and the desserts are too. You can either sit down to eat (and reservations go quickly) or there’s a line where you can pickup desserts. To be honest, I‘ve never been terribly impressed in the taste of the cakes (especially for $16 a slice!), but they are made with super high quality ingredients and beautiful to look at. We view it as more of a fun spot for a special occasion - not necessarily somewhere to eat all the time.

WorldExplorer

I’ve been to both Cake Bake Shops in Indiana. The decor is so beautiful and the desserts are too. You can either sit down to eat (and reservations go quickly) or there’s a line where you can pickup desserts. To be honest, I‘ve never been terribly impressed in the taste of the cakes (especially for $16 a slice!), but they are made with super high quality ingredients and beautiful to look at. We view it as more of a fun spot for a special occasion - not necessarily somewhere to eat all the time.

Oh. So it's for social media people.

Jokes on you, Disney; if looks are the draw, I can look for free.

Last edited:

Nubs70

They should really put in a Shapiro's Deli

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

I have loved the Cake Bake shop the two times I've been (once at each shop). Yes, the prices are high, but the cakes I've tasted have mostly been really good and the servings were enough for two people to share. Plus, as was mentioned before, they use the highest quality ingredients and got a huge bump several years ago from Oprah's being a fan, increasing their ability to set themselves apart from other bakeries and thus command higher prices. Oprah's magazine is how my step-mom found and fell in love with them.

Even if I didn't like their cakes, I would still be a huge fan. When my step-mom was ill from cancer, in the last few months of her life, she was craving something from the Cake Bake Shop. My dad called them up and they sent several slices to my step-mom from Indianapolis down to Lanesville, Indiana (close to Louisville, KY). I'm sure he paid well for it, but I also know they sent more than he requested, along with a very sweet note. They'd really have to flub something up bigtime for me to not visit them any chance I get.

That said, I'm not sure how good a fit they are for the Boardwalk, but I guess we'll see!

DCBaker

Premium Member
DFB has a new interview with Gwendolyn Rogers -

"DFB: We’d love to ask about some of the specifics that we’ll see at this new location. Will there be a private event space at The Cake Bake Shop in Disney World?

GR: I will have 2 private rooms. The way I’m designing it, you can take sections of the restaurant and close them off individually. So really, I’ll have 6 different areas where people can have a private event or a party, and I can close off that space to make it more intimate. Or, if I don’t have any parties, I can open it up and it’ll all look like one big, open place. The way I design spaces, I love to have different lighting in each area. I love light fixtures — those are my gig. I’m not a big fan of can lighting, so I never use can lighting anywhere, in any room. It changes the room. To have a light shining right on my head makes me uncomfortable, so I’d rather have warm, soft lighting with chandeliers and sconces. That’s how I design my restaurants. I also change the ceiling heights in every room. So in Carmel, there are beautiful beams across the main dining room with beautiful crystal chandeliers. Then the private rooms have lower ceilings that make the space more intimate. And in those spaces people can have a private bridal shower, a private wine dinner, a private champagne dinner. I’m going to have a champagne bar in the back of the Disney location, which will be different from the regular bar. The new restaurant will look just like the Carmel location in Indiana, just better!

I’m most looking forward to creating spaces for people to bring them together. And I’m also excited about the Afternoon Tea. That’s a very popular event here, and people drive from all over to come to it. They come to The Cake Bake Shop in Carmel from all over the midwest to have Afternoon Tea, and it’s pretty magical."

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I wonder how this place will do during the daytime. The location must seem ideal for prospective tenants and is no doubt sold on its proximity to EPCOT and the prospect of guests leaving EPCOT to eat there. But as we have seen in the past that has not happened.

The private dining area might help with that, if they can push people to book private events, especially things tied to conventions, during the slower times.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Any idea when the lobby and room renovations will be begin?
No changes yet or any signs of construction, but can't be far away.

Here is a photo set from the BoardWalk lobby today.

Disneys-BoardWalk-Inn_Full_47640.jpg

Disneys-BoardWalk-Inn_Full_47641.jpg

Disneys-BoardWalk-Inn_Full_47628.jpg

UNCgolf

Tip: no pizza south of Washington DC 👍🏻

That may have been true 30-40 years ago, but definitely not now. Maybe if you only like NYC style pizza, but even then, there was a pizza place at the beach in NC that had possibly the best pizza in the country (and yes, I've had pizza in NYC etc. many times) 20 years ago. There's also a couple of places here in Atlanta (Antico especially) that are almost as good as pizza in Italy.

Anyways, on topic, I hope they don't ruin this great lobby.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom