New enhancements coming to WDW's Haunted Mansion for the 50th anniversary?

Imagineer999

Original Poster
According to several sources I know, the Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom is likely to get some enhancements for WDW's 50th anniversary celebration. It won't be as significant as the 2007 Re-Haunting, but some new magic could materialize. No details have been provided to me, but they've all hinted at the addition of the Hatbox Ghost.

Imagineer999

Original Poster
I would imagine the Hatbox Ghost is a sure thing. Imagineers have explicitly said in public forums that they intend on installing him at WDW’s Mansion. It does need a quality refresh. Nothing major, just a return to form. Especially for a flagship attraction.

Yes. Being an annual passholder who visits the Mansion all the time, I guarantee you that the attraction is not in good shape right now. It's in need of a good and lengthy refurbishment.

Kamikaze

According to several sources I know, the Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom is likely to get some enhancements for WDW's 50th anniversary celebration. It won't be as significant as the 2007 Re-Haunting, but some new magic could materialize. No details have been provided to me, but they've all hinted at the addition of the Hatbox Ghost.

I would say sprucing up the HM is a certainty. Same with most of the 'classic' attractions at MK.

Imagineer999

Original Poster
Having the Hatbox ghost, but not her, is dumb. The whole gag is that the heart beat is synced with the head switch.

Exactly, but I doubt Constance will get the boot anytime soon. Many diehard mansion fans including myself can't stand her, but she is beloved by a lot of other people. She's become an iconic character of the attraction at this point. I see her on soooooo much merchandise.

Imagineer999

Original Poster
They fix that one stretching room portrait yet? Wasn’t there a rip in one or something?

They patched up the tears above the elderly woman portrait, but you can tell that it's a temporary fix.

Both stretching rooms are in need of new wallpaper...

Attachments

• IMG_20190315_203853.jpg
    IMG_20190315_203853.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 610

Dragonman

As some people on here know WDW had a Hatbox Ghost situation in itself, the infamous web man (removed very early on due to being “too scary” and was stored under the graveyard by the omnimover motors for a while. Not sure what happened to him after that). I’d like to see him finally see the light of day but I doubt that will ever happen. WDW was to originally receive a Hatbox Ghost in 1971 but we all know how that went.

Also here is the original WDW bride. I’d love to see her return and kick chatty Connie out.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
My hope is that the enhancements to the mansion include more removals than additions. The current attic scene is an "Imagineered dumpster fire" - a disharmonious spectacle of over-stimuli presented like a special effect demo reel. I think less is more, especially for an attic. Conny's removal would be such a boon to the mansion. Understated, IMO is more creepy.

Imagineer999

Original Poster
My WDW Haunted Mansion wish list:

- make the interactive queue more creepy and less silly. The entire first half of the attraction is supposed to be foreboding. You're not supposed to know that these are good-natured ghosts until you get to the ballroom.
- adjust the timing of Master Gracey's portrait transformation so everyone can see it
- restore the "moving eyes" effect to the Sinister 11 portraits in the Load Area. I doubt they will ever restore the original Portrait Corridor, but getting those stares back would make up for it
- restore the deep red lighting to the Corridor of Doors and the pair of hands prying the last door open
- restore the original attic
- restore the original hitchhiking ghost effect

If they could make those changes, I would be so happy.

Imagineer999

Original Poster
The best thing TDO could do for the Mansion is get rid of the new queue. It's an narrow, ugly, claustrophobic nightmare.

I agree. It ruins the creepy atmosphere of entering the mansion. It's loud, cartoony, and immediately spoils that these ghosts are good-natured, which you are not supposed to know until you enter the ballroom. The queue makes the Ghost Host's hanging corpse less intimidating because it told you not to take anything seriously. Also, the Ghost Host, imo, was always meant to be the first ghost you meet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom