New England/East Coast Destination Ideas?

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Hey friends,

My family and I just took an awesome trip to Ocean City NJ. So beautiful and fun there with lots to do and see. We're looking for a new adventure for next years summer vacation. We all live in CT so we're looking for a New England/Upper East Coast trip (north of Virginia). We went to many places when I was a kid and don't mind repeating as an adult. I'd love to hear your ideas and experiences with destinations in this region!

Thanks!

Nemo14

We used to take our kids to Chincoteague Island,VA in the Spring. You have to go before mosquito season, but there's lots of places to ride bikes and see the wild ponies on the beach.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
We used to take our kids to Chincoteague Island,VA in the Spring. You have to go before mosquito season, but there's lots of places to ride bikes and see the wild ponies on the beach.
Thanks for the idea however we have to do summer due to all of our schedules.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
We've been thinking of Lake George NY. We went once or twice when I was a kid but I don't remember much. My mom says we had fun. Any one been there recently and have suggestions for fun things to do there?

NeedMoreMickey

We live in Maryland and try to spend a long weekend in Gettysburg every year, usually in October to catch the fall weather. Since it's only 90 minutes away we also go up around July 4th weekend. The store owners say this weeken is the busiest since it is around the anniversary of the battle. We love going on the battle field Devils Den & Roundtop during a full moon since the park is open until 10 pm.

epcotisbest

We spent a week in Stowe, VT a few years ago and it was a wonderful trip. We stayed at the Trapp Family Lodge because my wife is a huge fan of The Sound of Music.
It is a beautiful area, with lots of picture postcard small communities to visit. We took the tour of Ben and Jerry's a couple of times, explored several local waterfalls, had some delicious apple cider at Cold Hollow Cider Mill, and much more.
One day we bought a guidebook to covered bridges and spent a full day driving around and taking photos of covered bridges.
Went to Smugglers Notch then on over to Burlington one day.
So much to see and do, so little time.
We will go back someday.

njDizFan

It really depends on the type of vacation you prefer and the age of your kids. But here are a few of my favs.
Cape Cod-stay at the beach-day trips to P-town, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket
Williamsburg VA-trips can range from Virginia beach(or nearby bay), Busch Gardens, Wet N' wild and of course the colonial areas. We can Usually do all of these several times in 1 week.
Beach trip-anywhere from Ocean City, Wildwood, Point Pleasant, Belmar, Atlantic City, NJ, Rehoboth Beach DE
Pennsylvania Trip- Hershey Park, Amish Country, Crayola Factory, Sesame Place, Delaware River, New Hope(Artsy Town)
Niagara Falls-hitting up New Paltz area on the way for the FOOD and Niagara by the Sea for a wine tour
City tour-NYC museums and sightseeing
Washington DC-monuments, museums etc
Woodsie-Upstate NY or Pennsylvania for some hiking and camping(Poconos, Lake George, anywhere in the Adirondacks/Appalachian Trail).

prberk

I know that you said "north of Virginia," but I strongly recommend Colonial Williamsburg. Of course Busch Gardens and Virginia Beach are also nearby, but the spending time to actually go in and see the nation's largest living history museum (town really) is wonderful. www.colonialwilliamsburg.com will have info. You can actually stay in the colonial houses.

And, of course, Jamestown is nearby as well -- the first successful English settlement, as is Yorktown (where the final battle was won of the American revolution). Civil war sites are also an hour away, in Richmond and Petersburg. But definitely consider Colonial Williamsburg.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
If you ever venture into Maryland for a mini vacation, there's always Ocean City, and the Inner Harbor in downtown Baltimore. The National Aquarium's one of the best tourist attractions that isnt a theme park on the east coast.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input. We booked Rehoboth Beach for next summer. And it also looks like DH and I will go to WDW in May. So excited!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom