New Early morning Studios upcharge event

21stamps

I hadn't thought about it but Six Flags here does that (I've never been) but it is the same kind of thing.

I suppose I could argue that it seems "less dirty" because it's just an odd pass holder perk and not a $150/head event, but the point is taken.

As a side note: I don't get Six Flags prices. IMO they're way too low and have been that way, well, roughly the same price, for close to 20 years.
I haven't been to a Six Flags since I was a kid. But would like to when kiddo is a little taller.
Ours is a Cedar Fair park.

I don't look at either one as "dirty" I'm looking at the crowds, and how it could potentially disperse them. The Fast Pass at our park costs more than admission itself, every time we're in line and a group of FP people walk up I silently groan.. But then remember that they paid for it. My son begs me all of the time to buy one- I told him when he reaches 54" we will- once, just as a special celebration for a milestone mark ;) (he just hit 48" 2 weeks ago, so we have awhile before that lol)

Point being- a paid "fast pass" actually does make standby lines longer at times. But early entries should not, they should actually help the lines, and I haven't seen a negative effect from them. I don't think there is any good or realistic price point for WDW to offer a paid FP option, so early mornings are the closest thing- with the huge benefit of making potentially less wait times for all.

seabreezept813

I hadn't thought about it but Six Flags here does that (I've never been) but it is the same kind of thing.

I suppose I could argue that it seems "less dirty" because it's just an odd pass holder perk and not a $150/head event, but the point is taken.

As a side note: I don't get Six Flags prices. IMO they're way too low and have been that way, well, roughly the same price, for close to 20 years.

Six flags probably gets away with low admission because they charge for everything else. Parking, lockers in front of individual attractions, etc. I paid $40 for a pass that is good all summer. It was an upgraded AAA ticket. We don't use their parking lot and bring food so it's awesome. Around the NE, Canobie Lake Park is wonderful. Free parking and $35 ticket. To bring this back to Disney, they charge sky high prices because they can, they could set more manageable prices or simply not raise prices so dramatically every year. But they offer a unique product, so they know people will pay.

21stamps

Six flags probably gets away with low admission because they charge for everything else. Parking, lockers in front of individual attractions, etc. I paid $40 for a pass that is good all summer. It was an upgraded AAA ticket. We don't use their parking lot and bring food so it's awesome. Around the NE, Canobie Lake Park is wonderful. Free parking and $35 ticket. To bring this back to Disney, they charge sky high prices because they can, they could set more manageable prices or simply not raise prices so dramatically every year. But they offer a unique product, so they know people will pay.
Is six flags really that cheap? Our passes were @ $110 each, which is still a great deal compared to single day admission which I think is around $65 + $15 parking, $20 for preferred parking. I think the add on option of a fast pass is another $90 but don't quote me there. - but that's an expensive day. Then add the mandatory locker rental for certain rides and it could get ridiculous for a family. Yet there are a lot of people who buy the fast pass, and I get it- if you only have one day or friends in town etc then why not maximize it.

Parks can keep adding up charge options, and people will keep paying for them. Disney actually at least offers to feed you during an up charge event lol

I just checked- Fast Lane pass is $90 + admission. Editing. Crazy.lol

Last edited:

seabreezept813

Is six flags really that cheap? Our passes were @ $110 each, which is still a great deal compared to single day admission which I think is around $65 + $15 parking, $20 for preferred parking. I think the add on option of a fast pass is another $70 but don't quote me there. - but that's an expensive day. Then add the mandatory locker rental for certain rides and it could get ridiculous for a family. Yet there are a lot of people who buy the fast pass, and I get it- if you only have one day or friends in town etc then why not maximize it.

Parks can keep adding up charge options, and people will keep paying for them. Disney actually at least offers to feed you during an up charge event lol

Super cheap early in the season. Bought a pass at AAA for 30 in April and at the end of the day upgraded it to a thrill pass. The thrill pass is only good for your local park and they don't advertise it. I think it's a bonus offer in early spring because they want to make their quota early.

Brad Bishop

Is six flags really that cheap? Our passes were @ $110 each, which is still a great deal compared to single day admission which I think is around $65 + $15 parking, $20 for preferred parking. I think the add on option of a fast pass is another $70 but don't quote me there. - but that's an expensive day. Then add the mandatory locker rental for certain rides and it could get ridiculous for a family. Yet there are a lot of people who buy the fast pass, and I get it- if you only have one day or friends in town etc then why not maximize it.

I don't think I've paid more than $70/pass in more than 25 years.

My last pass was $55 w/tax (bought a few weeks ago).

Generally, you can get good deals on Six Flags passes based on when you buy:
- If you buy either just after the season starts and through July sort of into August then that is normally the most expensive time (contradicts my recent deal, I grant you).
- Usually you can buy in August with "Enjoy the rest of this season and all of next" sort of deals and those normally are discounted + you get something like 1.3 seasons out o it.
- Usually if you buy in groups of 4-6 you get a more sizable discount than one pass at a time. It's nearly 1/2 price to buy in groups.
- Also, if you buy in groups you typically get a "combo gold" pass, depending on your park, of course, which will get you into the normal Six Flags park as well as the water park. This also gets you free parking.

You can also get deals at Dollywood and Stone Mountain Park (more of a nature/mixed use sort of park - worth visiting but it's not a theme park) depending on when you purchase and if you have a pass to one it'll get you a discount on a pass or ticket to the other. This very likely works at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO as they're all sister parks. I've never tried it there, though.

21stamps

Super cheap early in the season. Bought a pass at AAA for 30 in April and at the end of the day upgraded it to a thrill pass. The thrill pass is only good for your local park and they don't advertise it. I think it's a bonus offer in early spring because they want to make their quota early.
Wow that's awesome! I buy ours in October of every year, for the following year, because there is usually some perk and they advertise it as "lowest price of the season". I don't buy the platinum pass that includes two parks, mainly bc of height restrictions so not worth it for us to travel 6 hours to get there. I also don't purchase their dining plans- bc they don't work for my family and would be a complete donation of money from us. However- I don't think people who do purchase the dining plan, if it suits them, are stupid.
We all see value in different things.

No good can come from stressing about something that actually doesn't impact you in anything more than a minor way.

21stamps

I don't think I've paid more than $70/pass in more than 25 years.

My last pass was $55 w/tax (bought a few weeks ago).

Generally, you can get good deals on Six Flags passes based on when you buy:
- If you buy either just after the season starts and through July sort of into August then that is normally the most expensive time (contradicts my recent deal, I grant you).
- Usually you can buy in August with "Enjoy the rest of this season and all of next" sort of deals and those normally are discounted + you get something like 1.3 seasons out o it.
- Usually if you buy in groups of 4-6 you get a more sizable discount than one pass at a time. It's nearly 1/2 price to buy in groups.
- Also, if you buy in groups you typically get a "combo gold" pass, depending on your park, of course, which will get you into the normal Six Flags park as well as the water park. This also gets you free parking.

You can also get deals at Dollywood and Stone Mountain Park (more of a nature/mixed use sort of park - worth visiting but it's not a theme park) depending on when you purchase and if you have a pass to one it'll get you a discount on a pass or ticket to the other. This very likely works at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO as they're all sister parks. I've never tried it there, though.
Can they pass their pricing to Cedar Fair? That's a great deal!

Brad Bishop

Can they pass their pricing to Cedar Fair? That's a great deal!

I've yet to hit a Cedar Fair park but have always wanted to go. I think they own Kings Island and Kings Dominion now, if I'm not mistaken.

This $50 deal on the pass I recently got was a single. I didn't have to go into with others.

With the 4-6 group passes you don't have to be all of the same family. I've combined it with some of my single neighbors before so we all got in. Six Flags doesn't care. They just want you to show up and buy soda, T-shirts plush, etc.

Also, if you're looking for some nice parks on the East Coast:
- Busch Gardens Williamsburg
- Dollywood

Both are very woodsy and both are a good experience. Dollywood, in particular has a sort of "folksy" appeal to it with arts/crafts/etc. (it also has large rides but those are the sole focus). For example, at Dollywood you can buy something from a blacksmith. He's there right over the fire pit banging out new creations. You can buy a horse-drawn carriage. You can buy other unique, and really cool, items. The food there is pretty good, too. It's not a 5-star meal or anything but it's good food at a reasonable cost (think mostly "country food" and not "theme park food).

21stamps

I've yet to hit a Cedar Fair park but have always wanted to go. I think they own Kings Island and Kings Dominion now, if I'm not mistaken.

This $50 deal on the pass I recently got was a single. I didn't have to go into with others.

With the 4-6 group passes you don't have to be all of the same family. I've combined it with some of my single neighbors before so we all got in. Six Flags doesn't care. They just want you to show up and buy soda, T-shirts plush, etc.

Also, if you're looking for some nice parks on the East Coast:
- Busch Gardens Williamsburg
- Dollywood

Both are very woodsy and both are a good experience. Dollywood, in particular has a sort of "folksy" appeal to it with arts/crafts/etc. (it also has large rides but those are the sole focus). For example, at Dollywood you can buy something from a blacksmith. He's there right over the fire pit banging out new creations. You can buy a horse-drawn carriage. You can buy other unique, and really cool, items. The food there is pretty good, too. It's not a 5-star meal or anything but it's good food at a reasonable cost (think mostly "country food" and not "theme park food).
We're Kings Island pass holders. The "platinum pass" would include Cedar Point as well.
Banshee and Diamondback are must dos if you get the chance- although my favorite is still a classic wooden coaster called "The Beast"- best when ridden after dark :).

I'm probably the only person in my area who has never taken my kid to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.. Someday we'll make it there. I do think Dollywood would be a neat and different experience.

kevlightyear

This is where they start pushing beyond the boundaries, and hopefully the public will push back by not buying it...We need to demand better quality for the money they are charging...

More likely...
The more people buy into this garbage, the more of this garbage we will see.

I believe these offerings and the pricing are doing long term damage to WDW and the Disney brand.
So this is why the outrage is justified in my opinion...

These are all basically the same argument. These are PREMIUM experiences. They've been offering premium experiences for decades--backstage tours, concierge level accommodations, e-ride nights, parties, sunrise safaris, VIP tour guides (plaids), etc. This is just another in a long line. The difference is your particular perception of value. Disney is catering to a specific type of visitor with these experiences (one with lots of money to burn). If you don't see the value for the cost, then just keep swimming. Experience Disney in your own way.

All this doom and gloom and pessimism is off-putting, really. Complain about cost cutting measures. Complain about things that used to be free but aren't now. Complain that attractions aren't kept up. But don't complain about extra offerings that you just happen to be uninterested in.

*Note, this is not a personal attack on you guys, just a different viewpoint. :)

Biff215

These are all basically the same argument. These are PREMIUM experiences. They've been offering premium experiences for decades--backstage tours, concierge level accommodations, e-ride nights, parties, sunrise safaris, VIP tour guides (plaids), etc. This is just another in a long line. The difference is your particular perception of value. Disney is catering to a specific type of visitor with these experiences (one with lots of money to burn). If you don't see the value for the cost, then just keep swimming. Experience Disney in your own way.

All this doom and gloom and pessimism is off-putting, really. Complain about cost cutting measures. Complain about things that used to be free but aren't now. Complain that attractions aren't kept up. But don't complain about extra offerings that you just happen to be uninterested in.

*Note, this is not a personal attack on you guys, just a different viewpoint. :)
Fair enough, I just don't see these as premium experiences. A tour for example is something special you can't expect to do just by visiting the park. It goes beyond the typical experience.

Regardless of whether someone finds value in this or not, I see it as yet another cash grab. Simply look at the sheer number of these events that have been added in the past few years, and particularly the last twelve months. All while packing on significant increases to park tickets and dining. I always try to see the positive, it's just not happening for me here.

glvsav37

What a great deal. I could be finished up with Hollywood Studios by 10:30 then head over to IoA for some real entertainment.

Exactly what they want (well maybe not the IOA thing) but this way, they get your money for the park admission, then the uncharge cost and now you are out of the way for the other day guest who can go home and say, "wow, you know the park wasn't really that crowded"

Baloo62

Exactly what they want (well maybe not the IOA thing) but this way, they get your money for the park admission, then the uncharge cost and now you are out of the way for the other day guest who can go home and say, "wow, you know the park wasn't really that crowded"
I have no doubt that's true. But I was being sarcastic. In reality my reaction is "You miserable bunch of arrogant, money-grubbing nematodes. I'll pass up your limping, half-closed rat trap entirely (which, btw, is not worth the up-charge price for the whole day) and spend my time and money at IoA". Ditto for Epcot vs. Uni.

Last edited:

VulcanCafe

I have no doubt that's true. But I was being sarcastic. In reality my reaction is "You miserable bunch of arrogant, money-grubbing nematodes. I'll pass up your limping, half-closed rat trap entirely (which, btw, is not worth the up-charge price for the whole day) and spend my time and money at IoA". Ditto for Epcot vs. Uni.

The other option is for Disney to begin charging for any FastPasses like Universal does (ExpressPass). An additional $75-150 to cut the line all day. I remember reading that Disney felt that was too much of a class problem, so they went with something 'more fair.'

asianway

Original Poster
The other option is for Disney to begin charging for any FastPasses like Universal does (ExpressPass). An additional $75-150 to cut the line all day. I remember reading that Disney felt that was too much of a class problem, so they went with something 'more fair.'
Does it really matter at this point? Go all in

Brad Bishop

They'll probably monetize it... and completely miss the original point of it which was to shift the line to being "virtual" for a better guest experience. It wasn't about "paying to cut in line" as some thought early on or how FlashPass is perceived but to shift the whole paradigm of the line from being physical to virtual which is why, at Disney at least, you see the two lines specifically labeled as: FastPass and Standby (like stand by for an airline).

Granted, they goofed it up with FP+.

21stamps

They'll probably monetize it... and completely miss the original point of it which was to shift the line to being "virtual" for a better guest experience. It wasn't about "paying to cut in line" as some thought early on or how FlashPass is perceived but to shift the whole paradigm of the line from being physical to virtual which is why, at Disney at least, you see the two lines specifically labeled as: FastPass and Standby (like stand by for an airline).

Granted, they goofed it up with FP+.
This is why I (my opinion only) don't think they will offer it, and why early mornings or late nights make more sense. Disney isn't about an adrenaline rush or riding the same things repeatedly to experience the first or last seat. It's about the overall experience. A Fast Pass would take away from that, and also at what price point would you place it to not be 'too high' or 'too low'. Instead- they offer extended park hours for a charge. It makes sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom