New DME departure protocol

Maccabee18

MCO is like 2 T meeting together with each top of the T being side A or B. They all interlink together on the main concourse. It's not terribly too far because of how the setup of the airport is. Disney has no control of MCO parking which is pretty much controlled by Homeland Security so they just go along with what the airport wants. As far as the construction for the airport its mostly limited to the new transportation hub which will link together current and future rail systems being built in the Orlando area. I don't think any terminal construction is slated until 2017.

Tom

Beta Return
MCO is like 2 T meeting together with each top of the T being side A or B. They all interlink together on the main concourse. It's not terribly too far because of how the setup of the airport is. Disney has no control of MCO parking which is pretty much controlled by Homeland Security so they just go along with what the airport wants. As far as the construction for the airport its mostly limited to the new transportation hub which will link together current and future rail systems being built in the Orlando area. I don't think any terminal construction is slated until 2017.

This brings up a good point. If you've used Resort Airline Check-In, it doesn't matter which side the bus drops you off, because you just head up to the center of the airport to go through security, which is the same distance from either side. The only time it would make a difference is if you actually need to go to your airline's check-in counter, in the airport.

Figaro928

Original Poster
Which, in my experience, is unlike Mears drivers. Even if there's often a language barrier, they've all been very nice and professional.

Either this story is a bit exaggerated, or this specific driver has gone a little rogue.

Not exaggerated at all. Promise. In fact, I'm probably downplaying his part. I will say he was nice about - hard to explain - a pleasant grumble? But it was awkward for us - especially when he announced that the Disney Rep was "now coming on the bus and that she was the one to say something to." Very awkward - we even shared a glance/eye roll with another guest. We were in the front seats of the bus, so maybe we heard the grumbles a little more than any other guest.

From what he said and what I had gathered, only guest complaints would change the policy - so he was, I guess, pointing out what we should be complaining about.

dreamscometrue

No - all of our checked luggage was checked and left at the hotel. We did have our carry-ons, strollers and kids to lug around - but nothing we couldn't handle.
I hope that your next DME experience is better. As I noted in an earlier post, we've done 12 'round trips' on DME, and have always enjoyed the convenience of service. You'll just have to go back to WDW really soon, and try it again for yourself. :)

DisneyJill

Having never used DME, I have no idea if this is complain-worthy or not. I'm guessing no. But I don't see what you mean by saying it's a free service. It's a service that's included in the cost of a room, which isn't the same thing. One does pay Disney for it. Complaining about a decline in DME would be no different than complaining about any other hotel amenity. Again, not saying this particular issue is worth anyone getting upset about. To be honest, I don't like hearing that the driver made this into a big deal. I don't have a problem with another voicing their honest opinion when asked, but I don't think it's professional to publicly and voluntarily broadcast negative opinions of one's employer in this way.

While I completely agree that you pay for DME :D, I think the perception to most guests is that it is a free service, which Disney wants you to believe. But, I think that you absolutely should be able to voice your opinion about it if it didn't meet expectations, even if you perceive it to be free. I was sweating bullets on our last trip back to the airport on DME. I thought they were cutting it close with our pick up time, and the bus was late picking us up at POR, and then we had to stop at 3 other resorts for guests, and then we went about 35 mph the whole way to MCO. We made it...but I needed a cocktail when we arrived.

Figaro928

Original Poster
I hope that your next DME experience is better. As I noted in an earlier post, we've done 12 'round trips' on DME, and have always enjoyed the convenience of service. You'll just have to go back to WDW really soon, and try it again for yourself. :)

Honestly, I still think it was a great service and will use it for our next visit. Again, I wouldn't have known that there was a change in policy or that I was being more inconvenienced than I should have been. This thread was created moreso to let others be aware that, for some reason, the departure policy for DME may have changed. I was not at all complaining about the bus driver or DME in any way. But yes, I think I'll just have to go back to WDW really soon and try it again. I think this is a great excuse to start planning another vacation:p:p:p:p

216bruce

I dunno, hearing griping about lines, walking, waiting and general grumpiness is a nice wrap-up to hearing about the same from folks in line for things at WDW. Seems fitting and just more of the same.
If the luggage is checked 'to your final destination', then it's just a bit of a walk and you've likely put in a lot of miles on foot anyway on your stay. No biggie.
As far as "professionalism" goes. That's the most misused word in the English language already. Was he voicing an opinion? Yep. And so should you as long as you don't go overboard with it. Was he abusive? Nope. Doesn't sound like it.

Ben_since_1971

I really don't see what the issue is, unless (as others have pointed out) you are schlepping your own bags and your airline is on the other side. When we used DME, our airline was always second stop, but because we had used airline check-in at our resort, we got off at first stop, took escalator and off we went.

Must be more than what the bus driver was letting on. And his behavior was odd. I never had a problem with the DME drivers - some were really good at interacting with the passengers.

dvitali

What did exactly did the Disney rep said? Never have one get on the bus when we were departing WDW.
How many people was there for each terminals? Jet blue and Delta are the two airline I use. One of them is on side A and other is on side B. Only one time did I get off on wrong side but was no problem because I had three hours before my flight.
My take about the rude driver is that maybe he wanted to do the whole route on both side but do to a shortage of buses was directed to drop off and pick up peoples on one side of the airport on his phone from a Disney DME rep.

Figaro928

Original Poster
What did exactly did the Disney rep said? Never have one get on the bus when we were departing WDW.
How many people was there for each terminals? Jet blue and Delta are the two airline I use. One of them is on side A and other is on side B. Only one time did I get off on wrong side but was no problem because I had three hours before my flight.
My take about the rude driver is that maybe he wanted to do the whole route on both side but do to a shortage of buses was directed to drop off and pick up peoples on one side of the airport on his phone from a Disney DME rep.

Not sure how many people for each side - we were in the front of the bus, so if anything we led the pack.

It was really strange and awkward. She got on the bus's speaker. Thanked everyone for visiting WDW, hoped we all had a great trip. Then she proceeded to tell us that the driver was unloading the whatever we had stored underneath the bus (which we knew because he told us). When we get off the bus, where to go and how to get there (which we also knew, because he had told us that too). Asked if anyone had any questions before we departed the bus. She seemed to be stalling while waiting for the DME driver to finish unloading the bus. It wasn't a planned speech or anything like that, more like a rambling. At one point she even said she was trying to talk slow to buy some time - but she definitely was a Disney Rep, and there were at least three other reps waiting to board busses.

WendyTinkerbell

After having a few items, including a camera, taken from our bags a few years ago, we don't use the luggage portion of the DME. Many people don't realize that Disney has contracted out that portion of the service. If your bags end up at your room with missing items, there is next to nothing that you can. Disney blames the luggage service which in turn blames the baggage handlers at the airport. Everyone points fingers at each so that no one is held responsible.

In the past, people would usually get off the bus on the appropriate side. If you didn't have bags, they would go directly into the terminal. If you had bags under the bus, then you would wait for driver to pull out the bags from underneath the bus. Maybe now they would like people to wait on the bus for everything to be retrieved from the bus, as there were often kids wandering around the area while parents wait for bags and things.

Figaro928

Original Poster
After having a few items, including a camera, taken from our bags a few years ago, we don't use the luggage portion of the DME. Many people don't realize that Disney has contracted out that portion of the service. If your bags end up at your room with missing items, there is next to nothing that you can. Disney blames the luggage service which in turn blames the baggage handlers at the airport. Everyone points fingers at each so that no one is held responsible.

In the past, people would usually get off the bus on the appropriate side. If you didn't have bags, they would go directly into the terminal. If you had bags under the bus, then you would wait for driver to pull out the bags from underneath the bus. Maybe now they would like people to wait on the bus for everything to be retrieved from the bus, as there were often kids wandering around the area while parents wait for bags and things.

Side Note/Tangent - On our last trip in Sept 2013, We used DME to get to AoA resort. When our luggage arrived in our room one piece was badly damage - the wheel was completely ripped off and there was a huge hole. I called the resorts baggage number NOT to complain, but moreso to see if we could somehow fix it enough to make it home (I was thinking ducttape :)). I knew darn well that it could have gotten damaged anywhere, at any time in route. But the nice people at Disney didn't even blink an eye at it and completely replaced the luggage for a similar one; same in size. I WAS FLOORED. Disney didn't pass the buck at all and truly impressed by going above and beyond!!! Sorry you had such an opposite experience!

dvitali

Why would I want to wait or stay on the bus if DISNEY gonna check in / handle my luggage for me. Only reason I see to for a Disney rep coming on the bus if they planned to remove that Mickey video they play on the way to airport about the airport features. Also I now remember that arrivals in on level two and departures is on level one in both terminal A and B. with MDE being on the B side level one. Jet blue terminal is on the A side and Delta on B side.
My only guess is that Disney hire more cast members with no real reason for the job.

Tom

Beta Return
While I completely agree that you pay for DME :D, I think the perception to most guests is that it is a free service, which Disney wants you to believe. But, I think that you absolutely should be able to voice your opinion about it if it didn't meet expectations, even if you perceive it to be free. I was sweating bullets on our last trip back to the airport on DME. I thought they were cutting it close with our pick up time, and the bus was late picking us up at POR, and then we had to stop at 3 other resorts for guests, and then we went about 35 mph the whole way to MCO. We made it...but I needed a cocktail when we arrived.

Nothing at Disney is actually free - including bus and monorail service. Via room and ticket prices, it's all in there. But that's the same case at an "all inclusive" resort, cruise or other vacation. It's all-inclusive, because you pre-paid for all of it.

Disney offers DME for the SOLE purpose of deterring guests from renting cars. Because if you don't rent a car, it's extremely inconvenient to leave property. Same goes for Resort Airline Check-In and Disney Transport buses. It's all "free" because it's Disney's investment in keeping guests on property and spending money there.

This certainly does not mean guests can't complain about a "free" service, because it IS a service that needs to be enticing enough for guests to want to use it. When you start making it less enticing, you lose people to the rental car services.

I still wonder if this is something beyond Disney's control, OR is something that's just not fiscally feasible. The Airport could have decided to up the fees significantly for use of bus spots, and it could easily amount to millions of dollars a year for Disney.

Sure, some will jump on this and say how cheap they are for pocketing the money instead of providing the service to their guests, but on the flip side, it would just mean an even higher increase in room and ticket rates. Every cost gets passed along in the end.

My personal opinion is that if this turns out to be a real thing - and not just one driver going rogue, or a temporary situation due to airport operations - guests should complain....if it really affects them. For me, I don't care where they drop me off. The airport isn't that big, and we always do resort check-in, so we just go to the main terminal and head through security.

Not sure how many people for each side - we were in the front of the bus, so if anything we led the pack.

It was really strange and awkward. She got on the bus's speaker. Thanked everyone for visiting WDW, hoped we all had a great trip. Then she proceeded to tell us that the driver was unloading the whatever we had stored underneath the bus (which we knew because he told us). When we get off the bus, where to go and how to get there (which we also knew, because he had told us that too). Asked if anyone had any questions before we departed the bus. She seemed to be stalling while waiting for the DME driver to finish unloading the bus. It wasn't a planned speech or anything like that, more like a rambling. At one point she even said she was trying to talk slow to buy some time - but she definitely was a Disney Rep, and there were at least three other reps waiting to board busses.

Sounds like the Disney person said absolutely nothing to either confirm or deny that things had changed.....just acted as though they were offering assistance to guests. No explanation or confirmation that something had indeed changed, or why, or if it was permanent.

Did they drop you off at the DME pick-up area, or a bit further down at that same area?

dstrawn9889

OMG, who is complaining about not being dropped off closer to the terminals??? MCO is TINY, just look at ATL

MCO:
level_3_layout.jpg

where the longest travel distance is little more than half a mile to the gates

ATL:
Hartsfield-Jackson-Atlanta-Airport-ATL-Terminal-map.jpg

where each concourse is a Half MILE in length and from cab parking to F is 1.63 miles

::::edited once i got onto Google earth pro and ran some length measurements --- measurements taken from center of main building to hub of terminals at MCO, taken from terminal to concourse F; and also the concourse length from end to end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom