New DME departure protocol

Figaro928

Original Poster
We left WDW on Wednesday and the DME driver said that it was the first day of a new protocol and that the bus drivers were not happy about it. When departing WDW via DME, the new protocol is that the bus drops everyone and their luggage off at level one (I'm assuming the old way was to do several drops up one floor) We had to wait several minutes for another bus to leave (the driver said, "see! I knew this would happen!!") While the bus driver is unloading the bus, a Disney rep got on the bus and made a little speech thanking everyone for visiting and directing everyone where to go. (the driver told us that a rep would talk to us and said "this is your chance to complain to Disney about the new policy") It took another 10ish minutes for the driver to unload everything and we could depart the bus. We had a flight on jet blue, so from the bus we had to take an elevator and at least about a 5 minute walk to the Jet Blue terminal. The bus driver seemed obviously ticked off about the new policy and continually said "this is what Disney wants" He also said that Disney had tried this policy back in September, and it had failed then, so he wasn't sure why they were trying it again.

Goofyernmost

We left WDW on Wednesday and the DME driver said that it was the first day of a new protocol and that the bus drivers were not happy about it. When departing WDW via DME, the new protocol is that the bus drops everyone and their luggage off at level one (I'm assuming the old way was to do several drops up one floor) We had to wait several minutes for another bus to leave (the driver said, "see! I knew this would happen!!") While the bus driver is unloading the bus, a Disney rep got on the bus and made a little speech thanking everyone for visiting and directing everyone where to go. (the driver told us that a rep would talk to us and said "this is your chance to complain to Disney about the new policy") It took another 10ish minutes for the driver to unload everything and we could depart the bus. We had a flight on jet blue, so from the bus we had to take an elevator and at least about a 5 minute walk to the Jet Blue terminal. The bus driver seemed obviously ticked off about the new policy and continually said "this is what Disney wants" He also said that Disney had tried this policy back in September, and it had failed then, so he wasn't sure why they were trying it again.
I'm not sure what that matters. You do plan on leaving with your luggage, so what difference does it make?

Figaro928

Original Poster
I'm not sure what that matters. You do plan on leaving with your luggage, so what difference does it make?
It didn't matter to us at all. Honestly, since we don't visit often, I wouldn't have even noticed any of the inconveniences if the driver didn't blatantly point them out. It was more interesting that Disney changed a policy that seemed to be working (at least for the drivers)

Goofyernmost

It didn't matter to us at all. Honestly, since we don't visit often, I wouldn't have even noticed any of the inconveniences if the driver didn't blatantly point them out. It was more interesting that Disney changed a policy that seemed to be working (at least for the drivers)
It might have made it inconvenient for people to give them tips, if they were outside the bus working when they disembarked and were in a hurry. I was a bus driver and that is the first thing that crossed my mind. :oops:

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Hmmm...I usually rent a car when I arrive but have on occasion used the DME. I may be mistaken but isn't level one where you board the DME when you arrive? Perhaps loading and unloading in the same spot is less efficient and causes buses to stack up, such as you experienced. I can see that as a source of frustration for the driver but @Goofyernmost may be right about the tip.

Anyone know for sure that the buses load on level one and are now arriving in the same area now?

*1023*

Tom

Beta Return
My guess is that it wasn't really a change made by Disney, per se, unless Disney only made the change because they didn't want to pay the fees anymore for having access to the various other bus stops at the airport.

MCO is about to undergo a major overhaul and expansion. I don't know the timeline at all, but there's a chance it's starting soon, and they'll be losing some of the other drop-off zones.

Or perhaps it's a new TSA rule, to keep vehicles away from certain parts of airports.

Or perhaps MCO just decided Disney doesn't get to drop off in those areas anymore, and is regulated to their one area.

Keep in mind that your information DID come from a bus driver....and not even a Disney employed bus driver.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'm pretty sure I've always been dropped off on Level 1. They always stopped twice, once Side "A" and once "B". Never had a rep board the bus when we got there before though.

It has been a few years but last time I went on DME there were two separate drop offs depending on your airline. I don't remember where or what level we were dropped off on but I remember the two sites because the bus driver kept saying which airlines he was dropping off first and who should stay on the bus.

dreamscometrue

I've taken DME to the airport a dozen times, and I don't understand what has changed. Sorry. We always got off on level 1 (Ground transportation level of MCO) with our bags, either on the 'A' side or 'B' side of the terminal.:confused:

Figaro928

Original Poster
I've taken DME to the airport a dozen times, and I don't understand what has changed. Sorry. We always got off on level 1 (Ground transportation level of MCO) with our bags, either on the 'A' side or 'B' side of the terminal.:confused:
I think the change was there was no A or B side - it was one drop off for everyone. I'm assuming it was closer to the B side - because Jet Blue was on the A side and it was quite a bit away.

Goofnut1980

Our airport -Port Columbus(Cmh) is going thru a major reno and it is a hot mess. So I see if they are gearing up for that.

On a side note, why would people complain? It's still a free service and saves rental car expense. I could see complaining if you paid Disney for it.

MOUSEGIRL

Most of the resorts offer luggage check in. We never have our luggage at MCO Disney always handles it for us. So what if you have to walk 10 minutes and take an elevator.

cspencer96

The driver also shouldn't have been vocally negative about a policy change, regardless of how much he didn't like it. That just makes the departure experience negative for the guests, most of whom, as pointed out, wouldn't have known the difference and expected to be dropped off at the MDE "terminal."

Slowjack

On a side note, why would people complain? It's still a free service and saves rental car expense. I could see complaining if you paid Disney for it.
Having never used DME, I have no idea if this is complain-worthy or not. I'm guessing no. But I don't see what you mean by saying it's a free service. It's a service that's included in the cost of a room, which isn't the same thing. One does pay Disney for it. Complaining about a decline in DME would be no different than complaining about any other hotel amenity. Again, not saying this particular issue is worth anyone getting upset about. To be honest, I don't like hearing that the driver made this into a big deal. I don't have a problem with another voicing their honest opinion when asked, but I don't think it's professional to publicly and voluntarily broadcast negative opinions of one's employer in this way.

dreamscometrue

So true @Tom. We've done 12 round trips on DME, so that's 24 drivers. (See what I did there...math :)) I can't recall one who was unprofessional or not courteous. As you noted, a rogue most likely. Every workplace, even small ones, have disgruntled employees, but complaining to your customers about it is unprofessional.

Plus, I don't want to hear it. I'm paying lots of money for you to be 'magical', so even if you don't feel it, you're paid to fake it. We all do that at our jobs when we have bad days. He should have smiled, treated his guests with respect (who were probably bummed anyway that vacation was ending) and vented to his co-workers and employer.

NYwdwfan

Did you have to transport your own luggage through the terminal?

Tom

Beta Return
So true @Tom. We've done 12 round trips on DME, so that's 24 drivers. (See what I did there...math :)) I can't recall one who was unprofessional or not courteous. As you noted, a rogue most likely. Every workplace, even small ones, have disgruntled employees, but complaining to your customers about it is unprofessional.

Plus, I don't want to hear it. I'm paying lots of money for you to be 'magical', so even if you don't feel it, you're paid to fake it. We all do that at our jobs when we have bad days. He should have smiled, treated his guests with respect (who were probably bummed anyway that vacation was ending) and vented to his co-workers and employer.

It's definitely not going to earn him many tips.

LudwigVonDrake

This same scenario happened to me in July 2014. The bus driver was very strange about it and made more of a big deal about it than it actually was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom