New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But that's the point, isn't it? If you aren't paying livable wages and you need to fill literally thousands of positions you need to offer as many scalable perks as possible. A free shuttle to/from the employee parking lot is a convenience that any worker would appreciate, especially in car-centric Orange County.

It is not Disney's responsibility to make sure their front-line employees are making a living wage. Their wages are comparable to workers in other jobs with the same skill level.

@Dr. Hans Reinhardt you should know this better than anyone living here in the Bay Area. We have tech workers that make a whole lot more than Disney employees and are homeless. So this is not a Disney issue but rather an issue with a housing market that is out of control in terms of values.

D

Deleted member 107043

Why do you keep talking about shuttles, when they already offer them? lol

Because @Ismael Flores said, "I really never understood the argument about CM’s having to be compensated for their commuting time or their time from parking to punching in. What makes this so different to any other job that thousands of other people do and have to commute, park and then many of times have to prepare for work with a uniform."

I was simply responding that it's a perk they're offering to attract workers. That's it.

D

Deleted member 107043

It is not Disney's responsibility to make sure their front-line employees are making a living wage.

Good Lord of course it isn't. Apparently they have decided that this is something they want to do in order to make working there more enticing. It's that simple.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Good Lord of course it isn't. Apparently they have decided that this is something they want to do in order to make working there more enticing. It's that simple.

This again goes back to what I said, this isn't an issue of Disney offering said perk. The issue is when those employees that take advantage of a perk that isn't offered outside of Disney believe it to be a right and state its not enough.

Curious Constance

Front line employees at Disneyland aren't supposed to be a typical career jobs. Just like most people don't plan on working at the McDonald's counter their whole life. Those are typically taken by teenagers, people just starting out who still live at home or with multiple roommates, husband's or wives whose spouse makes nearly enough to live off of but you just want a bit more in supplemental income but don't want the stress or hassle of a full time career, etc. But if you choose to work at Disneyland or McDonald's in So Cal, knowing that it is basically a job anyone can do, and you're not going to make a ton of money, why is it Disney's problem when you obviously don't earn enough to pay your mammoth rent?

People think Disney should just raise wages, and then everything would be fine. What happens when people make more money? Prices of everything else goes up too. Not everyone can afford to live in Southern California, in the house of their dreams. ESPECIALLY if you're choosing a job that requires no skill. That's just the way it is. I've faced that fact, everyone else should be able to too.You either live there and make sacrifices, like roommates, living in an apartment, get a better job, or move out.

D

Deleted member 107043

All this because Disney is paying workers for their time between the employee parking lot and their workplace? Interesting. Who would have thought this would be something people would have such strong feelings about?

Old Mouseketeer

It is not Disney's responsibility to make sure their front-line employees are making a living wage. Their wages are comparable to workers in other jobs with the same skill level.

@Dr. Hans Reinhardt you should know this better than anyone living here in the Bay Area. We have tech workers that make a whole lot more than Disney employees and are homeless. So this is not a Disney issue but rather an issue with a housing market that is out of control in terms of values.

Well, I believe it IS Disney's responsibility. I'm fed up with mega-companies like Disney and Walmart being subsidized by the government. There are thousands of employees at Disney on public assistance because they aren't receiving a living wage, despite having (impotent) union representation. And the fact that it is legal or competitive is irrelevant. People can't live on the wage they are getting. This is not the free market at work. This is a weaponized form of capitalism. Companies aren't going to pay a living wage until the government stops giving them incentives not to do so.

That may be good enough for you, but it isn't for me. I worked at Disneyland in the '70s when it was an attractive place to work for college students and you could have a life if you made permanent full time. The perks were better, management was better, the guests were better.

jmuboy

At this point give Anaheim what they want on the damn bridge and get the Eastern Gateway and Cast Deck on Ball built. It's eating crow on Disneys part now for the positive gain of losing a major headache - parking - for decades to come.

Then we can finally proceed with Marvel, the Fantasyland expansion and the 4th hotel.... things that will keep the money flowing decades to come. DL is such a cash cow it's not worth the games.

TROR

Well, I believe it IS Disney's responsibility. I'm fed up with mega-companies like Disney and Walmart being subsidized by the government. There are thousands of employees at Disney on public assistance because they aren't receiving a living wage, despite having (impotent) union representation. And the fact that it is legal or competitive is irrelevant. People can't live on the wage they are getting. This is not the free market at work.
You're right, it's not the free market at work. In a free market, there is no such thing as a minimum wage. #AbolsihTheMinimumWage

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well, I believe it IS Disney's responsibility. I'm fed up with mega-companies like Disney and Walmart being subsidized by the government. There are thousands of employees at Disney on public assistance because they aren't receiving a living wage, despite having (impotent) union representation. And the fact that it is legal or competitive is irrelevant. People can't live on the wage they are getting. This is not the free market at work. This is a weaponized form of capitalism. Companies aren't going to pay a living wage until the government stops giving them incentives not to do so.

That may be good enough for you, but it isn't for me. I worked at Disneyland in the '70s when it was an attractive place to work for college students and you could have a life if you made permanent full time. The perks were better, management was better, the guests were better.

So lets say you are right, then the question is what do you consider a living wage? Because your definition and the definition of someone else may differ.

For example based on the labor statistics in LA metro area which includes Anaheim the living wage for a single adult is $13.41 per hour. Is that enough to live on for a single CM anywhere in LA? What about if that adult has a child the living wage goes up to $27.94 per hour. Should Disney pay that CM different because they have a child? Is that fair to the CM that doesn't have a child?

http://livingwage.mit.edu/metros/31080

Now flip that, everyone complains about how expensive it is to go to DLR now. Imagine if Disney had to pay all their CMs a living wage, those prices would skyrocket even more. Is it fair that a guest should pay even more because the front-line CMs, who are mostly just barely high school graduates or are in college without any marketable skills, want to make more than minimum wage?

So as you can see above its not just straight cut and dry. The living wage changes based on the individual circumstances. And then that cost of the wage gets passed onto the consumer. Who then has to make more money to get that service, etc. Its a vicious cycle.

I'm all for people making more money. But at some point you have to ask, is this a position that is meant to be temporary or is it meant to a career. I don't think anyone envisions being a front-line CM as a career. So its meant to be temporary until you get into a career. Which means you have to gain marketable skills by going to school so you can get into that career. Until then you work those minimum wage jobs and do what you can to get by.

disneylandcm

Thank you, sir! I have a degree and have been successful in the workplace for many years. However my former career is not an option any longer so I had to start over. I’ve been at the Disneyland Resort now for several years and I love it. I love Disney, I love my job, and I love creating happiness! But it is a challenging place to work. In my opinion it does not equate to employment at a fast food restaurant. Disney has very high expectations of CMs. (Higher than anywhere else I’ve been employed.) So do Guests! I am happy to meet those expectations and prefer to work at that level. I went in knowing this and agreeing to the pay offered and the late hours. Still, I wish that I earned something closer to what I need to pay my bills. I need the cast shuttle given how far away from my work location I am required to park. I accept that when Guests need the spaces I will be parking twice as far that distance. I am grateful for the paid walk time and consider it a privilege. At the same time in all my working years I have never parked so far from my location. I don’t think I am spoiled in receiving partial compensation for the time it takes to get to and from my car to where I work, which takes far more than twenty minutes. (How much time I spend commuting to the lot is entirely separate and on me.) All I ask of the online community is respect for the experience of Cast Members and reserve judgement if you haven’t been one yourself.

Curious Constance

You guys can talk all you want about how cast members shouldn’t ask for any compensation beyond the minimum (or in some of your cases, below minimum), but just remember you said that next time you expect some extraordinarily “magical” or even pleasant interaction with a CM. You get what you pay for.

Obviously Disney will need to pay their workers a wage that equates to the type of person they want representing their business. If they don't get it with what they pay, they will raise their wages until they do.

Government assistance is needed not because Disney doesn't pay a livable wage, but because people think they should be able to have it all and if they can't, someone else should pay for them to do so.

You can't make a career out of an entry level job and live in one of the most expensive cities in the country. You can't. You must either gain more skill and obtain a better job, or move somewhere you'll be able to make it on the entry job you prefer to work.

Simply giving them more money will only over inflate the cost of living, and what incentive is there for someone to better themselves and move up, if you're going to just give them more money doing jobs that require no special skill?

TROR

You guys can talk all you want about how cast members shouldn’t ask for any compensation beyond the minimum (or in some of your cases, below minimum), but just remember you said that next time you expect some extraordinarily “magical” or even pleasant interaction with a CM. You get what you pay for.

I actually do believe that CM's deserve to be paid more but the "living wage" argument is irrelevant. The problem is CM's aren't being paid what's fair to the work they put out. However, someone working at McDonald's is getting paid more than what's fair to the work they put out. It's all relative to the job.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

RemorsefulShoddyAppaloosa-small.gif

...walks away slowly...

Curious Constance

RemorsefulShoddyAppaloosa-small.gif

...walks away slowly...

Something has switched inside me lately. I used to just sit back and keep my mouth shut when I didn't agree with things, but no more. I've already called my son's teacher out twice so far for her BS. I'm sure plenty more will be forthcoming! Of course I'm not rude, and I do it in a respectful way, so that goes a long way, but no more sitting by and privately stewing for me!

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Something has switched inside me lately. I used to just sit back and keep my mouth shut when I didn't agree with things, but no more. I've already called my son's teacher out twice so far for her BS. I'm sure plenty more will be forthcoming! Of course I'm not rude, and I do it in a respectful way, so that goes a long way, but no more sitting by and privately stewing for me!
Hey, I'm in full support of voicing your opinion and not letting it stew.
I tried reading and digesting the past couples pages of this thread though and just thought...hey, let's add some levity!

D

Deleted member 107043

Hey, I'm in full support of voicing your opinion and not letting it stew.
I tried reading and digesting the past couples pages of this thread though and just thought...hey, let's add some levity!

I try not to take any of it too seriously, so for me the levity is much appreciated.

Obviously I enjoy vigorous debate, but only as long as the conversation is respectful and consideration is shown for everyone's opinion. I am frank and not shy about expressing my opinion, but in doing so I make an effort to go with the flow, add substantively to the discussion, and acknowledge when I'm wrong. I consider the majority of posters in the Disneyland section of WDWMagic as my virtual friends, and like "real life" friends we aren't always going to agree, and that's OK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom