New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

TP2000

Seems like sometime during all this conversations, someone mentioned that Anaheim wanted to get the pedestrian traffic off of Harbor and was using the Disney project to accomplish it. Now that the neighbors are fighting back, that issue seems to have dropped off the radar. Or was I just mistaken on what I remembered?

You're not mistaken. Anaheim politicians used to talk about Las Vegas style pedestrian bridges over major intersections. That concept has gone quiet now that politicians in Anaheim, mostly the same names who used to talk up the bridges, now trip over themselves to hate Disneyland more than the other.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There just has to be a more elegant and more aesthetically pleasing skybridge design than the one Disney came up with.

What about bridges like this...
C3450CA6-BA85-4C62-A9D0-16328E6CA1D2-1221-0000014562D589AD.jpeg

D

Deleted member 107043

Or, another option would be for the pedestrian bridge to actually not draw attention to itself.

I think some classy place-making on Harbor wouldn't be a bad thing. A commercial strip like Harbor that funtions as Disneyland Resort's "front door" might benefit from having a more striking pedestian overpass to give the Anaheim Resort district more of a unique identity. Lord knows high design isn't going to come from the businesses across the street from Disneyland.

Millennium-Bridge.jpg

666f4a99b67f66c633f9005b320b7dab--coimbra-portugal-tower-bridge.jpg

worlds-best-pedestrian-bridges03.jpg

TP2000

I think some classy place-making on Harbor wouldn't be a bad thing. A commercial strip like Harbor that funtions as Disneyland Resort's "front door" might benefit from having a more striking pedestian overpass to give the Anaheim Resort district more of a unique identity. Lord knows high design isn't going to come from the businesses across the street from Disneyland.

Millennium-Bridge.jpg

666f4a99b67f66c633f9005b320b7dab--coimbra-portugal-tower-bridge.jpg

worlds-best-pedestrian-bridges03.jpg

Gosh, yes! Modern architecture today has gotten very elegant and pleasing, with awesome night effects available with all the new LED lighting technologies. Harbor Blvd. shouldn't be defined by the cinder block International House of Pancakes and Panera Bread #873.

There's so much Disney could do with their skybridge concept, if they weren't so cheap and predictable. A poured concrete slab with abstract Mickey heads stuck to the sides? Gawd, how dreary. :rolleyes: There are so many interesting ways they could go with this concept.

Modern-Footbridge-Wrapped-in-Futuristic-Spiral-Structure-600x399.jpg

2e1cfeaf9fbbb337256be62f71f841b9.jpg

D

Deleted member 107043

This is Disneyland. With the exception of SW Galaxy's Edge most of the truly cool stuff gets built elsewhere.

George Lucas on a Bench

Yes, I know. According to every Disney person on the internet, the Monorail is too expensive to do anything with. Poor Disney. How will they ever afford it? Might as well just get rid of it then!

shortstop

Gosh, yes! Modern architecture today has gotten very elegant and pleasing, with awesome night effects available with all the new LED lighting technologies. Harbor Blvd. shouldn't be defined by the cinder block International House of Pancakes and Panera Bread #873.
I think the overpass bridge should be designed to match Captain Kidd's Family Dining. Who's with me?

nevol

If the bridge is too cool, I fear it'll overshadow Tomorrowland. Bad show encouraging bad show. A bad cycle that ought to be broken, sure. It should be beautiful and comfortable, whether that means contemporary or neutral victoriana like some other resorts around the globe. Contemporary is of equal neutrality to victoriana, so that works. But from a comfort perspective, lush landscaping can control temperatures and provide shade, and most modern/contemporary architecture lacks elements that aren't hard surfaces. They 150% need to be improving the resort grounds. But they also need to ensure the neutrality of those resort grounds.

I just really don't like that Disney put a crappy post-modern outlet mall right outside of Disneyland. There should be a clear cut between the outside world and the parks. A clear, obvious beginning to the show. The story and the effort and the careful masterful design that you are paying to experience beginsss HERE. Unlike universal, whose Citywalk is more exciting than half the theme park. It makes no sense that TDA gets a Frank Gehry when park guests see a dilapidated tomorrowland overshadowed by the Anaheim transportation center and pay 400$ a night to stay in the Paradise Pier Hotel. Maybe then tomorrowland ought to seriously break from the routine of updating every 20-30 years to present the "future" through what is just contemporary architecture. Let the bridge be a successful piece of architecture, and go back to the drawing board on Tomorrowland, de-emphasizing architecture altogether.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Remember the Eisner years when Disney prided itself on its architecture but built second rate parks. Now it seems to be the complete opposite.

This came to mind when I posted the bridge examples earlier. Eisner was a fan of statement architecture, and Disney even had a least one celebrity architect, Robert A.M. Stern, on the board.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom