New Disney Signature Services Department

Tony the Tigger

Not sure how noteworthy this is, but thought I might as well share. A quick search did not bring up any matches.

A couple of days ago, I received a voicemail from a 407 area code. It turned out to be a CM from Disney Signature Services. I called back today and they said this is a new department to help planning your trip when you are staying on a concierge level. Since we have a concierge room booked for just a few nights in September for our anniversary, we can use this service. They said it takes the place of calling the individual hotel's concierge.

They can help with ADR's (but still have to wait until 180 days out, and they pointed out that we can book our own ADR's at 7AM that day, but their department doesn't open until 9AM, so it's actually better to do it myself if it's a tough ADR.) And they can help with VIP tours (which we aren't going to do) and other aspects of planning.

So I guess I would call them if I miss any of my important ADR's and might need a little pixie dust.

menotyou21

Not sure how noteworthy this is, but thought I might as well share. A quick search did not bring up any matches.

A couple of days ago, I received a voicemail from a 407 area code. It turned out to be a CM from Disney Signature Services. I called back today and they said this is a new department to help planning your trip when you are staying on a concierge level. Since we have a concierge room booked for just a few nights in September for our anniversary, we can use this service. They said it takes the place of calling the individual hotel's concierge.

They can help with ADR's (but still have to wait until 180 days out, and they pointed out that we can book our own ADR's at 7AM that day, but their department doesn't open until 9AM, so it's actually better to do it myself if it's a tough ADR.) And they can help with VIP tours (which we aren't going to do) and other aspects of planning.

So I guess I would call them if I miss any of my important ADR's and might need a little pixie dust.

I received the same phone call and took the call. The CM said all the same things you mentioned above. She did mention she may be able to provide park hours a day or two prior to release. There was almost nothing she could answer that I didn't already know. I did send her an email today with a list of 9 questions, we will see how they respond to that. I too will be staying on concierge level early September at WL.

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I received the same phone call and took the call. The CM said all the same things you mentioned above. She did mention she may be able to provide park hours a day or two prior to release. There was almost nothing she could answer that I didn't already know. I did send her an email today with a list of 9 questions, we will see how they respond to that. I too will be staying on concierge level early September at WL.

We have GF booked for the 6,7,8th. Might stay at Caribbean Beach a day or two sooner.

Let me know how it goes with the questions!

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I'm sure it's helpful for people who aren't so on top of things, or who might use a travel agent, etc.

I was actually relieved to get the call because I had heard different things from different CMs (surprise.)

When I originally booked, they said a dedicated concierge CM would call me 180 days out to make reservations, etc.

In the interim, another CM basically told me don't count on that because, I'm paraphrasing here, that department didn't have it's act together.

So it's nice to know there is someone on the odd chance I do need help, since this one is an "important" trip.

And I suspect this frees up the hotel counterpart to focus on guests in the hotel.

Upvote 0

menotyou21

I definitely can see this as both a positive and negative. My concern here is that this model is geared towards increased revenue (I know....laugh it up....but Disney is a business and Disney is expensive). Is the new DSS truly designed to help us or is it designed to give us quick access to book additional items. I do plan on renting a boat, so we will see how well DSS helps with that.

@Tony the Tigger - It's been nearly 24 hours and no response. Once I have one, I'm happy to share. Am I asking too much for a reply within 24 hours? At least a simple acknowledgment...."I'm working on your answers".....

Upvote 0

rob0519

I'm sorry, but WDW has NO idea what Concierge Service is, other than providing a few snacks several times a day in Club Level locations. They cannot do much of anything you cannot do yourself. As noted, they can't make reservations until 180 days out and they start 2 hours after you have the availability to book them yourself. They cannot magically get you a last minute ADR.

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
In WDW there is no advantage having their Concierge do any reservations for you. I kinda feel sorry for the cast members who get stuck at those desks as they use antiquated systems and are the victims of frequent screen/system freezes. They do thier best, but they are not given the resources to actually be Concierges (aside from keeping the free booze stocked).

Upvote 0

AndrewsJ

I'm sure it's helpful for people who aren't so on top of things, or who might use a travel agent, etc.

I was actually relieved to get the call because I had heard different things from different CMs (surprise.)

When I originally booked, they said a dedicated concierge CM would call me 180 days out to make reservations, etc.

In the interim, another CM basically told me don't count on that because, I'm paraphrasing here, that department didn't have it's act together.

So it's nice to know there is someone on the odd chance I do need help, since this one is an "important" trip.

And I suspect this frees up the hotel counterpart to focus on guests in the hotel.
I think this will mean doing away with a lot of hotel counterparts

Upvote 0

cupcake__

This is the new version of what used to be called the Itinerary Planning Office (IPO). In the past, after booking a club level stay you'd be contacted via email by the IPO with a letter welcoming you and explaining their services. They would provide a form for you to fill out with all of your desired itinerary items. You could then communicate with them via email, fax, or phone. The services were basically the same as mentioned above- ADRs, FPs, and booking of upcharge excursions etc., nothing that someone familiar with Disney couldn't do for themselves. They had/have no magical power to get you anything you can't get yourself by being vigilant with the general procedures for reserving tables, attractions, tours, etc. My understanding is that the main difference between the old service and the new is that in the past each deluxe resort (or in some cases multiple resorts if close in proximity (like YC/BC)) had their own IPO onsite at the resort, whereas with this new version there is one central office serving all club level guests.

Upvote 0

cupcake__

Am I asking too much for a reply within 24 hours? At least a simple acknowledgment...."I'm working on your answers".....
No, you're not asking too much. Under the old system an email would get as a minimum an acknowledgement within a few hours (it might have to wait until first thing in the morning if late at night), then a detailed response in far less than 24 hours. Also, upon your first contact with them you'd be assigned one person who would work with you throughout your planning and then follow up in person or by phone once you checked in.

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I definitely can see this as both a positive and negative. My concern here is that this model is geared towards increased revenue (I know....laugh it up....but Disney is a business and Disney is expensive). Is the new DSS truly designed to help us or is it designed to give us quick access to book additional items. I do plan on renting a boat, so we will see how well DSS helps with that.

@Tony the Tigger - It's been nearly 24 hours and no response. Once I have one, I'm happy to share. Am I asking too much for a reply within 24 hours? At least a simple acknowledgment...."I'm working on your answers".....

I guess it's 48 hours now - any word, @menotyou21? If not, I think a follow-up call is reasonable to make sure they received it.

I'm sure part of the reason for having this at all is to upsell. I guess they figure people paying for concierge are more likely to pay for other extras. Sometimes just a personal recommendation can "close the deal" vs. just reading about a tour on the WDW site.

I'd probably consider this more of a personal customer service rep vs. "concierge" but I don't want to make a judgment until after the experience.

I'm sorry, but WDW has NO idea what Concierge Service is, other than providing a few snacks several times a day in Club Level locations. They cannot do much of anything you cannot do yourself. As noted, they can't make reservations until 180 days out and they start 2 hours after you have the availability to book them yourself. They cannot magically get you a last minute ADR.

Yeah, the ADR thing kinda doesn't make sense.

As for magically getting you a last minute ADR - if we are going on the premise that they can do what we can already do - we all know we have gotten last minute ADR's. I've walked up to BoG twice when it first opened, no ADR's available on MDE, but we were seated within 10 or 15 minutes. If they can do that for me from the hotel and I have the certainty of the ADR before traveling to MK and waiting to see what happens, that's worth a little something to me.

We'll see how it goes. I don't have high expectations. But the free booze & snacks sounded good lol.

Upvote 0

menotyou21

A response was FINALLY received. I was about to call Sarah this afternoon. Here are a few items to note (nothing incredibly valuable):
1. DSS confirmed DSS is replacing IPO. CM emphasized they are available to assist and offer "expanded knowledge of Enchanted Extra's and VIP Tours" - so yes....a money grab for their "premier" customers in my opinion.
2. Regarding the text message for FP+ ability (mentioned in another CL post) - this is not offered anymore and DSS suggest calling the actual Club (Old Faithful @ WL) for assistance with additional FP+) - I would believe the Disney App to be easier for adding additional FP+.
3. IPO PIP (Persona Itinerary Planner) is gone. CM recommended calling to put CC on file for bookings prior to 180 window.
4. CM confirmed booking begins at 7AM CST on your "Magic Day" and the DSS will not book for you, based on an email alone. CM recommended calling prior and discussing your desired reservations. They open @ 9AM and CM said before they book any experiences for the guest, their process is to check to see what we may have booked ourselves in the 2 hour window. They then will book for you (based on a prior email or phone call). They will then send a confirmation letter with the updated itenerary.
5. A FUN ONE - she confirmed the "Grey Stuff" is available at every meal at BoG, but only on "The Master's Cupcake" for B/L.
6. She confirmed they are not bringing back the "Flag Family" tradition at WL
7. She confirmed she is unable to access park hours any earlier than the website. But is willing to email them to me as they become available (no need for that).

Upvote 0

menotyou21

I have to admit.....Concierge can be lacking no matter where you go. I was at a high end hotel in Times Square over Christmas and used their Concierge to book a window seat at a tough to get in steakhouse (for my wife and I). When we showed up....no reservation. Thankfully, the house manager was very kind and "fit" us into their schedule.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom