New direct from Disney DVC prices to exceed $200 per point

nickys

Premium Member
Disney is pretty passive aggressive when dealing with guests who misbehave. I don’t think they would remove items without the guest present. They probably just delay the checkin for the next guest and then give them some free stuff to compensate. I’d love to see them gather up all the person’s stuff and throw it in garbage bags to be picked up later, but they’d probably never do it.

I agree. But I suspect the owner may be charged an extra night's points if they weren't out by around 3or 4pm.

WWWD

This situation is one of the reasons I would fear listing my points on rental sites and having someone I don’t know rent my points. I’m sure buried deep in the DCV contract the owner is on the hook for this and any other damages.

nickys

Premium Member
This situation is one of the reasons I would fear listing my points on rental sites and having someone I don’t know rent my points. I’m sure buried deep in the DCV contract the owner is on the hook for this and any other damages.

Absolutely the owner would be liable. It even says as much in the deeds and such like. DVC allows renting as a way to share your membership with family and friends. They are well aware of the rental market, but will not get involved in any disputes and will hold the owner liable for any damage.

There has to be trust on both sides in renting. I've never rented my points out yet either, nor rented from someone else, either directly or through a broker.

But if I ever do, then I would only rent to someone I felt comfortable with, so someone who had a long established posting record on an owners' forum where other people could also vouch for them.

As a renter you need to use due diligence in checking the owner out.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I had a Grand Villa that was not ready until 6:30 pm, rather awkward since we were a party of 12. In compensation, Disney gave us $20 per person for our dinner. Two others where the room was not ready until 5 pm.

I had a separate trip where the washing machine was not working, another where the freezer was not working.
Exactly the issues I was experiencing and yes they centered around 2br and GV rooms, i never had a problem when staying in a studio

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have yet to experience rooms not being available as late as you posted. But I think that is completely unacceptable. What kind of value is a person getting from their room when they only have access to it for 15-16 hours. I would think that some type of refund of points(or cash) should be issued for your loss of use.

Dream on WRT Disney giving DVC owners any compensation when Disney fails to deliver the services they contracted with you to deliver.

It's in large part why I sold because the attitude has changed towards the DVC guest - we are seen as a nuisance and an impediment to higher resort profitability.

When we started DVC we were seen as 'WDW's' best customer's because we committed to decades of WDW vacations. Now with the emphasis on 'one and done' and dynamic pricing driven by yield management metrics we are seen as a 'drag' on WDW's business.

The only thing Disney likes about DVC members these days is the buy in cash.

I really thought I would miss my prepaid WDW vacations, Sadly I don't and we've returned to our pre-DVC pattern DW goes somewhere nice for vacation and I skip vacation entirely.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think I would be looking around the villa trying to find where the dead body was;). You don’t want to think about it, but the person who had the room before you must have really messed it up.

If it’s an hour or maybe even 2 late it’s still annoying and they should still throw you a bone but after 8PM is 4+ hours after checkin time and officially bed time for some kids and possibly older people. Unacceptable.

An hour is annoying but understandable especially during busy times of the year, Multiple hour waits are unacceptable yet all too common RECENTLY before 2012 I never remember late checkins as a thing. In fact having rooms ready at 1-2 pm was not unusual.

correcaminos

Exactly the issues I was experiencing and yes they centered around 2br and GV rooms, i never had a problem when staying in a studio
I've not had a problem with a 2 bedroom honestly. That's what we do mostly now. The snotty attitude I got was at check in but we still had our room at 4pm. The 5pm wait was a studio.

So not sure it's room type.

Sorry you apparently had it so bad, but others have had compensation when rooms were *that* late. What you stated IMO is not the norm. I do wonder if you sold, why do you bother to post on DVC? Our experiences are current where yours are not... which really doesn't help.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I've not had a problem with a 2 bedroom honestly. That's what we do mostly now. The snotty attitude I got was at check in but we still had our room at 4pm. The 5pm wait was a studio.

So not sure it's room type.

Sorry you apparently had it so bad, but others have had compensation when rooms were *that* late. What you stated IMO is not the norm. I do wonder if you sold, why do you bother to post on DVC? Our experiences are current where yours are not... which really doesn't help.

Ever hear this bit of advertising wisdom, A satisfied customer on average tells 3 people, A dissatisified customer tells 9.

At one time DVC was the best value and customer satisfaction leader. Now they are racing to the bottom of the barrel. Before the DVC cuts began in 2012 I recommended DVC to anyone who liked to stay in the orlando area. Now i tell people to stay away from DVC because it's gone bad

correcaminos

Ever hear this bit of advertising wisdom, A satisfied customer on average tells 3 people, A dissatisified customer tells 9.

At one time DVC was the best value and customer satisfaction leader. Now they are racing to the bottom of the barrel. Before the DVC cuts began in 2012 I recommended DVC to anyone who liked to stay in the orlando area. Now i tell people to stay away from DVC because it's gone bad

I don't live my life like a living advertisement as you seem to be doing. I actually tell more when I'm happy about service than unhappy but yes, most people only post when unhappy. So I truly take all complaints with a hug grain of salt. Just like honestly I am doing with yours. Especially since you just admitted you are only here to be negative.

DVC is not perfect and I will never claim they are. I'm actually not rushing to stay at BWV after repeated issues there. However I realize a few bad people do not make up the whole. So you hated it and sold, I think it's time to move on from this because it makes you sound like a very unhappy person. Not to mention slightly rude to anyone who questions you.

I would say things have improved for DVC as a whole in the last 3-4 years, but again you wouldn't know because you've been out of it long enough not to know. Like many things there are ups and downs. I choose to focus on the over all, not just one moment of time that has long passed.

dennis-in-ct

I saw on DVCNews.com that DVC is going to raise prices for direct purchases of current DVC resorts on January 17, 2018. With these rumored price increases several resorts will be priced above $200 per point. Only Vero Beach has had a price decrease with Grand Californian going up $50:greedy::greedy::greedy: Here’s the list:

Resort Current Price Price Effective 1/17/18
Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas $176 $182
Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort $185 $191
Boulder Ridge Villas (VWL) $165 $171
Copper Creek Villas & Cabins $176 $182
Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas $165 $171
Disney's Beach Club Villas $165 $185
Disney's BoardWalk Villas $165 $171
Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort $115 $121
Disney's Old Key West Resort $145 $151
Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows $176 $220
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa $145 $151
Disney's Vero Beach Resort $115 $100
Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel $185 $235
Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa $185 $220

While the price increases overall are not huge, breaking the psychological barrier of $200+ seems significant. I also wonder where the new construction resorts will be priced. How high is too high? This should in theory drive up resale prices again as the resale prices become an even better value. What does everyone else think of this?

http://dvcnews.com/index.php?option...es-coming-for-many-resorts&catid=32:financial

I am curious as to why VERO seems like an "outcast" resort and is always cheaper on the resale market. What is wrong with it? Also, if a person was interested in buying into DVC, why wouldn't they just buy the cheapest points and take their chances with random availability at the Disney resorts?

Minthorne

I am curious as to why VERO seems like an "outcast" resort and is always cheaper on the resale market. What is wrong with it? Also, if a person was interested in buying into DVC, why wouldn't they just buy the cheapest points and take their chances with random availability at the Disney resorts?

It has high maintenance fees in relation to other resorts due to storm damage being in the coast. Over the life of the contract it will cost a lot more than say SSR.

nickys

Premium Member

Many probably do just buy the cheapest points they can.

You'd need to be flexible in when you could travel if you wanted certain resorts and room types. No use if you simply have to travel at certain times and really want to stay at certain resorts in a studio, for example.

Also there are a lot of members who bought years ago, who used to be able to book a trip at the last minute. Say book today to go next weekend or next month. They got into that habit, and now find they can't do that so much, or need to piece together a stay at different resorts. Probably, in part at least, something to do with a lot of people buying smaller number of points.

DVC works best for those who can book at least 7 months ahead, even better if you can book 11 months ahead.

correcaminos

Nothing is wrong with it really except that it's pretty far from Disney and not many think of (like HI or HHI) for a desitination in itself. The MFs are very high as well which will cause you to spend a ton in the long run.

Not to say that you should buy just the cheapest MFs as they will vary throughout time, but it is something to look at. Paying $8 vs $6 per point will add up quickly.

If you want studio only stays I'd say this isn't wise either. It's getting harder and harder to do studios now. People want to save points and we have many people buying in at very low amounts keeping them to studio only stays. Which means you'll have to fight more so to speak to get rooms even at 7 months.

dennis-in-ct

Nothing is wrong with it really except that it's pretty far from Disney and not many think of (like HI or HHI) for a desitination in itself. The MFs are very high as well which will cause you to spend a ton in the long run.

Not to say that you should buy just the cheapest MFs as they will vary throughout time, but it is something to look at. Paying $8 vs $6 per point will add up quickly.

If you want studio only stays I'd say this isn't wise either. It's getting harder and harder to do studios now. People want to save points and we have many people buying in at very low amounts keeping them to studio only stays. Which means you'll have to fight more so to speak to get rooms even at 7 months.

All good point that I had not considered.
The major negative would be to SPLIT resorts for a stay. THAT would annoy me. I really don't care where I stay so I am happy to stay in Saratoga or Old Key West - I just want a room. I would not want to move midway through my vacation.

And the point about the studios filling up first and having to spend point for a 1-bedroom is another consideration for sure.

The time of year I would be interested in would be Oct. I was thinking that is not a *busy* time of the year.

So, to better understand how DVC works, if I have a small contract of 30 points at a high-demand DVC (like Copper Creek), I could use the small contract to hold the ressie and use my cheaper bulk points at VERO (if I were to buy "cheap" DVC points such as VERO) to fill-in the rest of the ressie?

Is that how it works?

I have heard the words "creep" the ressie but not 100% clear what all that means.

nickys

Premium Member
All good point that I had not considered.
The major negative would be to SPLIT resorts for a stay. THAT would annoy me. I really don't care where I stay so I am happy to stay in Saratoga or Old Key West - I just want a room. I would not want to move midway through my vacation.

And the point about the studios filling up first and having to spend point for a 1-bedroom is another consideration for sure.

The time of year I would be interested in would be Oct. I was thinking that is not a *busy* time of the year.

So, to better understand how DVC works, if I have a small contract of 30 points at a high-demand DVC (like Copper Creek), I could use the small contract to hold the ressie and use my cheaper bulk points at VERO (if I were to buy "cheap" DVC points such as VERO) to fill-in the rest of the ressie?

Is that how it works?

I have heard the words "creep" the ressie but not 100% clear what all that means.

Oct through to Dec is peak time for DVC. You'd really want to be booking at 11 month for then, but could only book for CC using those 30 points.

At 7 months you could use your VB points to book further nights. At that time of year your options could be limited. Currently for example, for a week 7 months from now (16th Sept) for a studio there is availability at Saratoga, Kidani, BLT and OKW. Crucially not CC, so if you had booked a couple of nights at CC you would either need to move resorts or cancel CC and book one of the other resorts.

Walking a reservation is basically starting earlier than you actually want and moving the start and end dates forward until you reach the dates you really want.

dennis-in-ct

Walking a reservation is basically starting earlier than you actually want and moving the start and end dates forward until you reach the dates you really want.

Thank you for replying .... sounds like voodoo ressies ! lol
the "walking" is still confusing to me.

I would have to see it done and then I would understand it sounds complicated

correcaminos

Walking would be this. let's say you want to go Dec 7-14, you actually book starting for a December 1st date and book through the 8th. Every day or two you call and drop the first day and add the next. You rinse and repeat until you get the days you want.

I do not recommend getting only 30 points unless that is what you need for an entire stay. Also right now the minimum for CCV is 50. Starting next week you will need 75 to be considered a full memeber too. If you want fall trips I think you need a WDW resort to be effective. I do not think VB is s smart move.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster

You can book up to 7 days in a row at the 7 month date. So let’s say you wanted to book a week from 10/7 to 10/14. If you wait until the exact 7 month day (let’s say it’s 3/7) you could book the full week 10/7 to 10/14. Someone who just wants to book 10/8 cannot book that 1 night until 3/8 or a day after you already booked it but someone who booked 10/1 to 10/7 a week earlier on 3/1 could have taken out the last room of the type you want for the night of 10/7 and you are on the waitlist.

Walking a reservation would mean you go in on 3/1 and book 10/1 to 10/7. Then on 3/2 you call and change your reservation to cancel 10/1 and add 10/8. You do that each day moving your reservation back a day until you have the week of 10/7 to 10/14 you originally wanted. The advantage is you booked 10/7 on 3/1 instead of having to wait until 3/7 to book it.

It’s a big deal for popular weeks and room types. I used it to get a few nights at HH in August since the weekday nights are real popular but the weekends are not at all due to double the points. I booked Sat to Mon at the 7 month mark and then the next day changed to Sun to Thurs for the same points. When I called to change it, Monday was already sold out so if I waited to book it the “right way” I wouldn’t have gotten in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom