New Destinations coming to Star Tours

BrianLo

Can they just stop taking me to the Wookie planet everytime?

I've actually never been there, I go to Tatooine nearly every freaking time. Maybe about 7 of 8 rides between DL/MK/TDL.

I'm glad they are upping it, I don't mind repeats but there is something incredibly disappointing about seeing the exact same intro + 2 locations on the same visit when you are expecting a 'randomized' attraction.

I'll verify with Jim. My understanding of the math was that there would possibly be 1 new scene segment added to the show (so intro/scene/scene/message/scene), with no particular link between any of the scenes.

But in actually doing the calculations now, I don't see how they'd get to that many combinations unless they have a total of like 35-40 scenes to choose from. They could shoot more intros and messages to bring the scene number down, but they'd still need a few dozen scenes. I'll check with Jim.

I'd forgive Jim on that bad math. Without properly thinking it through I figured there were more combinations than there actually are.

*Q*

So... What are the new locations? Lothal, maybe?

I would be mighty impressed if they took the initiative to recreate Lothal as a destination. I don't think there's much chance of that happening, considering I don't think it's supposed to be featured in any of the new movies, and will probably only be on Rebels. If that's the case, they'd have to be creating all of the live-action design of the planet from scratch. As for what planet they might choose from Force Awakens, I couldn't begin to guess, because the locations we've seen in the trailers so far all look similar to planets from the other movies that Star Tours already visits.

Matt_Black

I wouldn't think that it would be that hard as most of Lothal, at least what we've seen, is wheat fields and grasslands, which I can't imagine to be THAT hard to recreate in live action.

*Q*

I wouldn't think that it would be that hard as most of Lothal, at least what we've seen, is wheat fields and grasslands, which I can't imagine to be THAT hard to recreate in live action.

I mean, yeah, that part would be easy, but there would still be a lot more work in creating the city, and you'd presumably want the Ghost, too, all of which would have to be built from the ground up, as opposed to whatever pre-existing CGI resources they had access to for Coruscant, Geonosis, Kashyyyk, etc. I'd love to see it (although I'd be super annoyed if they added that before Cloud City), but I just don't think it's likely.

Cosmic Commando

If they really are going to try to get hundreds of thousands of combinations, it's possible that they could change other things besides the ride film (C-3PO's dialogue, for example). Indy at DL has 160,000 different combinations due to various effects that come and go.

*Q*

Was this "hundreds of thousands of combinations" thing that I've seen people say something that was said in the presentation at the Expo, or is this a rumor coming from somewhere?

That Guy

It wouldn't take as much as you think over the next few years to get the possibilities into the 1,000's. If one new scene and character was added to each segment for each movie VII, VIII, IX, there could be over 1,000 combinations.

5 intros X 6 first scenes X 6 holograms X 6 end scenes = 1,080 combinations.

That does not include additions for Rebels or Rouge One or the other Disney additions to the universe.

I think it is more likely we will get one new segment for each movie, but here is to hoping.

WhatJaneSays

Playing with the math and configurations I feel that the ‘journey paths’ could reasonably expand to over 9000 by just adding a new destination slot and a few new scenes for the existing slots (doubling the # of holograms), and allowing for the shuffling of the order where applicable.

The 54 existing ‘paths’ are pretty set:
Start(2) → Destination A(3) → Holo(3) → End Destination(3)

The only way they could up it by that kind of factor would be with a new version that resembles this pattern:
Start(2+2 new) → [Shuffle-able selection of Destination A(3+1 new), Destination B(4 new), and Holo(3 + 3 new)] → End Destination(3 +1 new)

That version could produce 9216 paths by adding 8 scenes and 3 holograms. However there is one major detriment to this ... it would lengthen the ride cycle time by whatever the Destination B bit would be. Even in a perfect load/unload, no-flub, no-errors world this would reduce the number of maximum cycles a simulator could make in a day. Adding just 30 seconds to every cycle can drop enough rides per day to lose a good number of throughput.

RSoxNo1

I'll verify with Jim. My understanding of the math was that there would possibly be 1 new scene segment added to the show (so intro/scene/scene/message/scene), with no particular link between any of the scenes.

But in actually doing the calculations now, I don't see how they'd get to that many combinations unless they have a total of like 35-40 scenes to choose from. They could shoot more intros and messages to bring the scene number down, but they'd still need a few dozen scenes. I'll check with Jim.

Here's the thing the three current 2nd destinations all end in a hangar of some sort while the three first destinations are a bit more flexible. Currently the 54 combinations are derived from:
2 Intros
3 First Destinations
3 Messages
3 Second Destinations

Let's say they make the ride longer and somehow modify it so the now 7 destinations can all end anywhere in the sequence, and they add a 3rd destination you're still short. You would have to add 13 more messages as a transition between First destination and second destination and second destination and third destination in order to crack 100K ride combinations.

2 Intros
7 First Destinations
16 Messages
6 Second Destinations (We've visited one already)
15 Messages (We've seen one already)
5 Third Destinations (We've visited two already)

That combination gets you to 100,800 combinations. I don't think that's what's happening at all. I think they're adding a new destination to the grouping of 1st or 2nd destinations and I wouldn't be surprised if they add another transition message as well. So that's going to make it 72 or 96 different combinations. Still pretty impressive for a ride.

I just can't see them lengthening the ride at all. I'm guessing if the ride is longer it's going to make more people sick. Keep in mind it was the same ride system that they cut out a few seconds from in Body Wars because they found that to be a significant drop in upset stomachs.

Maybe if you figure in the number of the seat selected by Yoda/Leia/whoever as an additional permutation?

If you're talking about each individual making it a unique experience, then every ride is a unique experience. I'd say that's a stretch. But if you're going be seats, that's only a single multiplier of 40 and if we're assuming 72 or 96 different ride combinations that's still well below 100K.

AEfx

I mean, yeah, that part would be easy, but there would still be a lot more work in creating the city, and you'd presumably want the Ghost, too, all of which would have to be built from the ground up, as opposed to whatever pre-existing CGI resources they had access to for Coruscant, Geonosis, Kashyyyk, etc. I'd love to see it (although I'd be super annoyed if they added that before Cloud City), but I just don't think it's likely.

I don't so much see Rebels being added, only because it wouldn't fit in visually with the rest of the pieces.

As to the rest of the topic, as others have pointed out, it wouldn't be difficult to get it into thousands of combinations with relatively few additions, because, math.

Jones14

It's been a month, so:

1) When will this addition hit? I know we're talking before the end of the year, but do we have close to an exact date yet?
2) Do we know whether it will consist of a new intro, destination, character, or some combination of the sort?
3) Will they close the attraction for a few days to implement the change, or will it pop up overnight?

YodaMan

Based on what's happening with Disneyland, it sounds like it will be a new scene related to TFA that occurs before the beginning of every ride. Same scene, every time. It basically seems like they will add it overnight with no downtime, and hopefully around November (that's when DL gets it).

Jones14

Based on what's happening with Disneyland, it sounds like it will be a new scene related to TFA that occurs before the beginning of every ride. Same scene, every time. It basically seems like they will add it overnight with no downtime, and hopefully around November (that's when DL gets it).
By before the beginning, do you mean while riders are still in the queue or after they're seated in the actual ride vehicle?

Jones14

Seated in the vehicle.
I'm having a hard time figuring out any sort of scene that could take place before the ride actually begins that wouldn't throw off the storyline of the attraction. Are we sure this couldn't be a third possible introduction scene?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom