New DAK Cast Member

DAKStarter

Original Poster
Evening Magic Makers,

My name is Kimberly and I was recently hired by the Walt Disney World Company
in a Merchandise role (part-time) at DAK (Disney's Animal Kingdom). I've been reading up
on Facebook groups and message boards a lot since being accepted and just have a
few questions that maybe you guys will be able to help with. Any advice and input is
greatly welcomed and thanked in advance.

1) Since I am a part-time cast member I understand that only 2-3 days will be gaurenteed
by the company. I understand that extra shifts can be picked up from cm to cm and through
EHH on The Hub. My question is, how long after being in my role am I able to pick up these
types of shifts and if my home area is DAK would I be able to pick up in MK & DHS for example,
as long as I have the correct training.

2) Since joining one of the shift exchange groups, I see a lot of shift giveaways with abbrev. which
for a new cm can be a little overwhelming and confusing to say the least. I'll list a few below that
I'm really curious about.

- MK MS East Zone 3
- MK ADV HOH
- MK ADV Glow
- MK ADV Zone 1

Etc, if anyone has/or knows about a cheat cheat to this type of lingo please let me know!

3) This question is more for present or past merchandise cm's. Does merchandising in Disney still run off
of the rotation schedule? I used to work for one of their third parties many years ago and I remember my
fellow merch cm's receiving a slip with their new rotation location every 45 minutes or so.

4) During the holidays, can any cm pick up holiday shifts or is it still based off of the training you are certified for?

I think I covered everything I wanted to for now. More tips and inside knowledge is always encouraged!

Liberty6

Evening Magic Makers,

My name is Kimberly and I was recently hired by the Walt Disney World Company
in a Merchandise role (part-time) at DAK (Disney's Animal Kingdom). I've been reading up
on Facebook groups and message boards a lot since being accepted and just have a
few questions that maybe you guys will be able to help with. Any advice and input is
greatly welcomed and thanked in advance.

1) Since I am a part-time cast member I understand that only 2-3 days will be gaurenteed
by the company. I understand that extra shifts can be picked up from cm to cm and through
EHH on The Hub. My question is, how long after being in my role am I able to pick up these
types of shifts and if my home area is DAK would I be able to pick up in MK & DHS for example,
as long as I have the correct training.

2) Since joining one of the shift exchange groups, I see a lot of shift giveaways with abbrev. which
for a new cm can be a little overwhelming and confusing to say the least. I'll list a few below that
I'm really curious about.

- MK MS East Zone 3
- MK ADV HOH
- MK ADV Glow
- MK ADV Zone 1

Etc, if anyone has/or knows about a cheat cheat to this type of lingo please let me know!

3) This question is more for present or past merchandise cm's. Does merchandising in Disney still run off
of the rotation schedule? I used to work for one of their third parties many years ago and I remember my
fellow merch cm's receiving a slip with their new rotation location every 45 minutes or so.

4) During the holidays, can any cm pick up holiday shifts or is it still based off of the training you are certified for?

I think I covered everything I wanted to for now. More tips and inside knowledge is always encouraged!
1) As soon as you complete your assessment at the end of your training you’ll be able to pick up shifts that only require basic merchandise training. Be aware you have a limit on how many “costumes” you can have signed out at a time. When picking up shifts at another location you will have to “sign” out that costume. Also the costuming locations have pretty standard business hours 9-6 so you have to plan according as shift vary. I would recommend working to first few months learning your role at your location before branching out.
Also being part time your max hours is 24 a week. You can only go over that amount 26 weeks a year. After that your capped and not allowed to work more then the 24.
2) “MS” is Main Street USA. East is the Ice cream parlor side of the street. It is divided by zones from Main Entrance to the Hub.
“ADV” is Adventureland merchandise.
3) Rotations drop at the top of the hour. Time in position could vary depending on breaks and task assignments.
4) Even during holidays you still work your “bid” schedule. You may opt for a paid holiday but it’s based on seniority and being part time you may not be eligible. Holidays are paid time and a half so they are very popular to work.

HauntedMansionFLA

1) As soon as you complete your assessment at the end of your training you’ll be able to pick up shifts that only require basic merchandise training. Be aware you have a limit on how many “costumes” you can have signed out at a time. When picking up shifts at another location you will have to “sign” out that costume. Also the costuming locations have pretty standard business hours 9-6 so you have to plan according as shift vary. I would recommend working to first few months learning your role at your location before branching out.
Also being part time your max hours is 24 a week. You can only go over that amount 26 weeks a year. After that your capped and not allowed to work more then the 24.
2) “MS” is Main Street USA. East is the Ice cream parlor side of the street. It is divided by zones from Main Entrance to the Hub.
“ADV” is Adventureland merchandise.
3) Rotations drop at the top of the hour. Time in position could vary depending on breaks and task assignments.
4) Even during holidays you still work your “bid” schedule. You may opt for a paid holiday but it’s based on seniority and being part time you may not be eligible. Holidays are paid time and a half so they are very popular to work.
What’s a bid shift??

HauntedMansionFLA

Every three months you go through a “schedule bid” where you state your preferred work location, days off, morning or night shifts in favorite to least preference. Then the manager meet with the cast member in rank of seniority. More senior cast get there preferences while newer cast may not.
That seems fair Do the college program cm’s rank higher than part time?

HauntedMansionFLA

Yes. They schedule Full-Time, CP, CR (Part-Time), CT (Seasonal). CP’s do not have any imput or bid for their schedules. They are scheduled when and where as needed.
I have a friend who is hired seasonal - hopefully she will get some hours if that’s the order. Thanks for the information

WDW862

1)
Also being part time your max hours is 24 a week. You can only go over that amount 26 weeks a year.

Is that true? I've known "part time" people who got full time hours and often times overtime.

Also, I plan on applying late this year, how hard is it to get a full time position vs part time?

Last edited:

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Is that true? I've known "part time" people who got full time hours and often times overtime.

Also, I plan on applying late this year, how hard is it to get a full time position vs part time?

You can go over 24 hrs 26 weeks, or 6 Months of the year. If you choose to do this the first 26 weeks you will be unable to pick up shifts the rest of the year. FT vs PT all depends on what your are looking to do, availability, and the time of year you are hired. If you are looking at merch it is likely you will likely start PT. If you are looking for a more specialized position the FT chances go way up.

WDW862

You can go over 24 hrs 26 weeks, or 6 Months of the year. If you choose to do this the first 26 weeks you will be unable to pick up shifts the rest of the year. FT vs PT all depends on what your are looking to do, availability, and the time of year you are hired. If you are looking at merch it is likely you will likely start PT. If you are looking for a more specialized position the FT chances go way up.

Ill probably apply for house keeping as they seem to always be hiring. I would prefer attractions, but attractions seems to only have part time positions.

Dasnowz

Theres probably not too much left for the seasonal after FT, PT and CP are scheduled. I assume seasonal fill in the holes in the schedule.
they schedule seasonal before part time. Seasonal tell Disney when they are open to work and Disney works around that. When I worked in parking the seasonal people would have full schedules and we were scrambling for a few hours. I asked why and was told part time are lowest priority. There are no hours guaranteed. Typically in January and September I would not see any hours.

HauntedMansionFLA

they schedule seasonal before part time. Seasonal tell Disney when they are open to work and Disney works around that. When I worked in parking the seasonal people would have full schedules and we were scrambling for a few hours. I asked why and was told part time are lowest priority. There are no hours guaranteed. Typically in January and September I would not see any hours.
Wow - I would have thought it the other way around. How long do the seasonal employees work? June to August ? November to January 1st? @Dasnowz

Tinkrbell

They got rid of capping about 3 years ago. I was really close to getting capped again after working a lot over the summer, but it went away that fall. They called people so they didn’t have to give part timers benefits. Cuz of the changes with the healthcare laws, they now offer benefits to part timers before getting to that point.

citrus.swirl

Hi! I just got hired too but I still haven't gotten the e-mails for onboarding/traditions... I was just wondering how long did you wait for your e-mails

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom