New Countries / Attractions for World Showcase (Past Rumors/Announcements)

mm121

Original Poster
Would be great to see new countries/new attractions added to the World showcase.

There are spaces for 21 countries total, 10 on each side of the USA.. though only 11 countries were ever built and most that were built have no attraction, only shopping and dining.

Mexico
Attraction - Boat Ride - Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros
Norway
Attraction - Boat Ride - Maelstrom
Rumor: Update to Frozen Theme
China
Attraction - Circle-Vision 360 Movie - Reflections of China
Germany
Attraction - NONE
Italy
Attraction - NONE
United States
Attraction - Audio-Animatronics stage show - The American Adventure
Japan
Attraction - NONE
Rumor: MT. FUJI ROLLER COASTER
BULLET TRAIN
Morocco
Attraction - NONE
France
Attraction - Panoramic Movie - Impressions de France
United Kingdom
Attraction - NONE
Canada
Attraction - Circle-Vision 360 Movie - O Canada!

Adding attractions to the countries that don't have any or adding countries would be the way to go to improve the WS

Rumored Countries that have been considered over time though most are most likely dead:
Israel Africa Spain Brazil Costa Rica
Switzerland United Arab Emirates Venezuela IRAN SOVIET UNION

One country thats never been mentioned but would be nice would be Australia, considering it is both a Country and a Continent.

If 21 space aren't enough I came up with a plan that would enable the construction of 7 additional countries if it was ever so desired, though seeing how the current empty spaces have never been filled theres really no risk of running out of space.

mm121

Original Poster
Gray - Countries that exist today
Green - Countries that were mentioned in the past
Orange - A country that would be nice to see

if all of these or some of these would have been built it would definitely make for a much more rounded World Showcase as currently the primary emphasis is on the Northern Hemisphere, with NO countries from the southern hemisphere.

Attachments

• epcot countries.jpg
    epcot countries.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 96

mm121

Original Poster
Blue - Current Expansion pads that exist from the original plans
Purple - Expansion pads from the original plans, but should be used last or for small exibits, or an expanded USA pavillion

Attachments

• Epcot World Showcase.jpg
    Epcot World Showcase.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 477

mm121

Original Poster
Plan that would enable the addition of 7 additional countries.

Yellow - New 7 Countries
Orange - existing expansion pads

Attachments

• Epcot World Showcase ultimate.jpg
    Epcot World Showcase ultimate.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 928

mm121

Original Poster
Just saw these ideas elsewhere:

Here now is Epcot (as you can see, many "new" additions will be based on "old" classics):
  • World Showcase
    • Russia - A brand-new pavilion, located between Germany and China! Marqueed by the spectacular onion domes of St. Basil's Cathedral, it will feature the spellbinding attraction, "Reflections of Russia", an innovative theatrical experience that will combine Audio-Animatronics characters, animated sets, film, and a live actor to surround guests with the personalities, achievements and volatile history of this vast land. There are also two restaurants (one is a buffet family restaurant with some sort of a ballet theme and the other is an elegant adult restaurant with sword dancers and opera) and plenty of shops that sell Russian clothes, books, movies, theater stuff, and more.
    • Rhine River Rapids - Located at the Germany pavilion, this is a river rapids ride, the second one at Walt Disney World! It is a new version of an aborted concept for a boat ride through the miniature recreations of Germany, but now really souped up! With its entrance near the Biergarten restaurant, take a thrilling, wet-n-wild river ride down Germany's most famous river!
    • Impressioni dell'Italia - Located at the Italy pavilion (and done in the style of the France pavilion's "Impressions de France"), this is a motion picture that celebrates the beauty of rustic Italy.
    • Mt. Fuji Bullet Trains - Located at the Japan pavilion, this is yet another finally-realized version of an aborted attraction concept, this one of a thrilling roller coaster ride in and around a recreation of Japan's Mount Fuji in miniature bullet trains.
    • Disney character greetings - Different Disney characters will now do meet-n-greets in the pavilions themed to the countries from whence the stories originated! You can meet Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket at the Italy pavilion or Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at the Germany pavilion! This is also an ideal way to find rarer Disney characters, like Bernard and Bianca from "The Rescuers", the title character from "Dumbo" or Panchito and Jose Carioca, as well as Donald Duck, from "The Three Caballeros".

Definitely some great ideas.

mm121

Original Poster
I'd love it if they added Ireland. They could have Irish dancers every day.

And the UK should have a Mary Poppins ride

ireland does have some great scenery and color.. it could be st patricks day year round lol

a mary poppins ride at the UK would be great.. and epcot would definitely be a more approprate place for it than.. MK fantasy land. I mean i know people can't fly, but its much more realistic based than the typical fantasy movies.

mm121

Original Poster
Twilight zone is fine because the ride is awesome but Avatarland isn't necessary

isn't necessary?? AK definitely needs more attractions to make it a full day park.

I"m just surprised they chose an unproven franchise, vs doing the much rumored star wars land at hollywood studios first (though I dont belive they owned star wars when avatar was announced)

Its definitely thoroughly disappointing that the sequels have been pushed back so long.

mm121

Original Poster
DAK is already a full day park if you take advantage of all it has to offer.....

well most peoples day doesn't end at 5pm.. i never said it was a bad park, just nice to have more things to do.

and luckily avatar land is an actual expansion as lion king is being moved so the park is having a net increase in attractions.. vs the net zero attraction increase with 'new fantasyland"

mm121

Original Poster
Some talk on this from elsewhere, just quoting here to keep the discussions in one place

Any rumors on more countries in epcot? I've read that there is room for 2 countries if they want to. Any truth to this? I thought Brazil and Australia would be cool additions.

There is actually room for many more then two, but although there have been a few vague rumors over the years, there has been nothing concrete.

Hopefully they add a couple countries than, if they have plenty of room for it. I also wish they kept the world showcase part of epcot open a little longer than right after the fireworks. I know they experimented with the "extra hours wind down" theme this spring, hopefully they make it year round. I'm going in 2 weeks and have heard they might be extending it, but not sure what days and all.

There's actually room for 8, if need be...
worldshowcase_sites.gif

Map from Yesterland.com

There's space for a bunch of countries, even more if that pavilion was removed that was intended to be temporary from the start.

The issue is they want some type of financial commitment/sponsors from the host countries.

There have been rumors about Brazil which would be appropriate since they have tons of Brazilian tourists.

Australia would also be great as it is a country and a continent.

Previous thread on this topic
New Countries / Attractions for World Showcase (Past Rumors/Announcements)

Officially theres space for 10 as the american pavillion is currently a triple space.

epcot-world-showcase-jpg.49243

If they truly wanted to get ambitious and add more, heres a plan I made that would allow for 7 additional new counties, making for 17 new countries, WOW that would be amazing and would make the showcase truly representative of the WORLD.
epcot-world-showcase-ultimate-jpg.49244

Realistically I can see epcot adding another country or 2 in the next 10yrs. I would also like to see them add a lion king ride. Perhaps in AK in Africa. With how big Frozen is Disney I think will have to make some sort of ride or show permanently at a park. I'd like to see more tangles stuff as well besides just the bathroom area.

Lots 7 and 8 are being used for the indoor convention space and other support facilities. The structures are not temporary trailers and are used fairly heavily throughout the year so I find it unlikely that they would use those locations.

I personally believe they would use lot 1 if they were to add a country with locations 2 and 3 the next most likely. In the case of lot 1 it's mostly out of Convenience as it's mostly empty. In the case of lots 2 and 3 it's mostly because they are so large.

Location 4 is used backstage for a variety of things but most of it is used for storage of festival structures like food and wine so I don't see it getting used. Lots 5 and 6 are kinda needed as visual blocks and are used to a limited degree on stage during Food and wine as well as Flower and Garden much like lot 4 is used for "park space".

World Showplace could be easily destroyed and stored Festival Structures could easily be moved to another backstage area. Your other reasons are rather petty, though I do recommend reading the Yesterland article on the matter.

Showplace is another infamous temporary structure.

Don't conventions have like places called convention centres to go to? And let paying guests use all the facilities of a theme park they've paid to enter?

I realize my reasoning is rather petty but having worked for the company it's these stupid little things that the company pays attention to. Additionally World showplace is used A LOT for private conventions. Everything from Cheer competitions to Gay days private parties are held there. There is little incentive to remove it when they are making tons of money with it.

Yes they do, but there is a huge market for having at least part of them inside a theme park.

What convention would you rather go to?

One with a banquet in a big square room with movable partition walls in some hotel or convention center or one where you get to eat dinner with the Munchkins in the land of Oz?

Another sad truth.

You would hope they would use a bit more finesse, though, by creating a better convention space that doesn't hinder or sacrifice park space... but then it comes down to priorities, and it's very disappointing where those priorities rest in regards to their parks, imo. But, you're absolutely correct.

Oddly enough, the spaces on either side of the American pavilion weren't put in for future countries, but because there was a blue-sky plan to have a second lagoon south of the first one, and those spaces were how you would have reached it. Yes, incredible as it sounds now, Disney at one point thought they might not have enough room for all the pavilions that would eventually reside in World Showcase.

Interesting, to the south would make more sense aesthetically, but not sure thats possible now with the way the road is there etc, though im sure anything could be possible with enough $$$, could tunnel the road under the park or something.

any further info on where you heard that at?

Overall if they added a second lagoon, I'd just move the USA pavillion to the new lagoon, rather than making it an island, as that in my mind just gives the wrong impression that somehow the usa is seperate from the rest of the world.

If they really did add a second lagoon either on the east side as I showed in a photo, or the south side as you suggest, or even BOTH, the world showcase would then be justified as a park completely in its own right.

that would be full 20 plus the USA, plus the 7 to the east, and however many would be in the new southern lagoon (say maybe 10/15, DANG that would be amazing.

It is a shame that they haven't added any countries since the parks been open, epcot really just needs a full makeover,

Lets just hope they dont add DVC to the world showcase like has been rumored.

Lots 7 and 8 while the structure isn't "trailers" it was originally intended as temporary, and though it may be used, it would be better to develop the showcase as countries, as was originally intended, however keeping this in mind, i'm sure they could incorporate convention/event spaces into the new countries, or into the expanded southern lagoon that was a blue-sky project, or an eastern lagoon space.

all the uses your mentioning for lots 4/5/6 are temporary uses, so theres nothing stopping those uses from being moved elsewhere, theres nothing built on any of the expansion pads that can't be relocated

@Slowjack I've heard that before about a second lagoon, but this is the first time I've heard about the spaces at the American Pavilion being reserved as waterways for it.

EC is riddled in mysteries of defunct blue sky dreams. The monorail footings for the once-planned downtown Disney spur is but one example.

The space reserved for a WEDway PeopleMover on the second floor of CommiCore is another.

I would love to make a listed collection of these.

The second lagoon would definitely be part of that list. Do you have any graphic or art showing what was being proposed?

TXDisney

Well I can't see them adding 8 countries. Maybe in 50yrs time. But in the next 5-10trs I'd like to see a country or 2 added. World Showcase is my favorite thing at Disney do the more the merrier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom