New computerized registers at eateries

Main Street USA

Original Poster
Seems that since Disney has seemingly taken care of long line complaints witht he fastpass sytem, they are now going to try to take a similar idea to tackle another complaint: long lines for food. Seems they will be implementing a new computerized register system that allows guests to order by themselves by looking at a menu with pictures and prices and then swiping either a credit card or a room key card. Sound like a great idea to me. I'm sure it sounds great to them to with all of the money they would save not having to pay wages to cashiers. I heard they will be starting this out at two registers at the Pecos Bill Cafe in Frontierland, and at one other restaurant at the Port Orleans resort.

markymark

Originally posted by Main Street USA
Seems that since Disney has seemingly taken care of long line complaints witht he fastpass sytem, they are now going to try to take a similar idea to tackle another complaint: long lines for food. Seems they will be implementing a new computerized register system that allows guests to order by themselves by looking at a menu with pictures and prices and then swiping either a credit card or a room key card. Sound like a great idea to me. I'm sure it sounds great to them to with all of the money they would save not having to pay wages to cashiers. I heard they will be starting this out at two registers at the Pecos Bill Cafe in Frontierland, and at one other restaurant at the Port Orleans resort.

I think this sounds like a great idea!! I am sure the CM's serving food wouldn't think so though :(

The only worry is if someone is about as computer literate as I am slim, they may struggle however easy it is. Plus there is the issue of peple ordering incorrectly, isn't there?

Still, I like the sound of it and make a special trip to Pecos Bill to try it out.

The Mom

Premium Member
Re: Re: New computerized registers at eateries

Originally posted by markymark

I think this sounds like a great idea!! I am sure the CM's serving food wouldn't think so though :(

The only worry is if someone is about as computer literate as I am slim, they may struggle however easy it is. Plus there is the issue of peple ordering incorrectly, isn't there?

Still, I like the sound of it and make a special trip to Pecos Bill to try it out.

That would be my concern, also! I've run the registers for our (my daughter's & son's)school's book fair for about 10 years now, and have learned ,especially when children are involved, that you never hit the total without adding it up separately first, and double checking to be sure they have made a final choice! Even parents will start "removing" things when the final tally pops up!

epcot71

im in retail management and all for new technology to make things go better but this kinda is a double edge sword. look at k-mart when some stores put self check out lines with million dollar computers. most people couldnt figure them out and thus took longer to check out.imagine some"simpletons" that never used a computer in their life in front of u taking 30 minutes trying to figure out how to use the system-and your STARVING. it might be good for most people but the 90 year old farmers wife who still has a rottery phone and listens to 45s on her record player trying to order:D :D :D

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This news item has been floating around for a couple of years now. I have this old article from the Sentinel.

Disney works to make its 'quick service' quick
By Tim Barker, Richard Verrier and Charlene Oldham
of the Sentinel Staff

Published in The Orlando Sentinel on June 26, 2000

For years, Walt Disney World fielded complaints from guests about long lines for theme park attractions.

Then came FASTPASS, the ticket reservation system for many of the major attractions at Disney World.

Now Disney managers are experimenting with a way to tackle another nagging problem: long lines at Disney World`s "quick service" eateries, where customers can sometimes wait 45 minutes for a turkey sandwich or a slice of pizza.

Last week, Disney World started using computerized cash registers on two of the 12 registers at Pecos Bill Café in Frontierland at the Magic Kingdom.

The "guest activated terminals" allow customers to order their meals with the swipe of a credit card. The terminals have push button screens with pictures of menu items written in English, German and Spanish.

Disney also is testing the new technology at the Sassagoula eatery at Port Orleans Resort as part of a pilot project. If successful, computerized tellers may be expanded for partial use at other restaurants throughout Walt Disney World, said Walt Disney World spokesman Rick Sylvain.

"This is a real breakthrough technology for us," Sylvain said. "This is going to be a great enhancement for our international guests. It`s going to open up the lines, and it`s going to free up our cast members to assist the guests in other areas," Sylvain said.

Like other theme park operations, Disney World has struggled to fill low-wage service jobs, especially those in its fast-food restaurants. Cashiers affected by the new terminals won`t lose their jobs but will be reassigned to work in other areas, Sylvain said.

"It`s clearly in the pilot project stage, but the early guest reaction is pretty positive," Sylvain said.

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by epcot71
im in retail management and all for new technology to make things go better but this kinda is a double edge sword. look at k-mart when some stores put self check out lines with million dollar computers. most people couldnt figure them out and thus took longer to check out.imagine some"simpletons" that never used a computer in their life in front of u taking 30 minutes trying to figure out how to use the system-and your STARVING. it might be good for most people but the 90 year old farmers wife who still has a rottery phone and listens to 45s on her record player trying to order:D :D :D

Excuse me! As an AARP member I take exception!! ;)

I'm more concerned about little Johnny who changes his mind 5 times before he finally decides!

Let's face it, there could (and will) be delays and problems caused by all sorts of people for all sorts of reasons. I'm getting a little tired of do-it-yourself everything these days! If a business wants my money, the least they can do is run the damn credit card for me! Sorry, I'm heading off on a rant...must stop this. ;)

TURKEY

Being a CM at Liberty Inn in WS, I can tell you a little bit about this stuff.

At first it was going to be only automated and with credit cards. One problem that was talked about with this is that there would be no way to change orders once accepted without going into another line.

Then there was a discussion about guests without credit even that on room charges.

One solution to both problems was have the screen at the front to just get the order placed. Then guests would proceed to a cashier and make sure that the information was correct and that no one had changed there mind. Guests would also be able to pay with cash this way.

I don't know exactly what has happened with this project, but I don't know how well it would work based on the amount of order changes that take place and sheer number of folks paying cash opposed to credit.

I don't believe the screens are at Pecos Bill's anymore. At least I don't remember them and I haven't seen them anywhere else on property.

Lance

I love this idea, I'm always for computers.

I'm sure that when the day comes when every restaraunt has them in the parks, their will be half computerized and half face-to-face. So, I don't think we have to worry about all computerized registers.

BradleyJ

They were installed for a while at Peco's Bill TWO YEARS AGO, when the story was run, they tested them for a while.

And then they disapeard. If they are ever going to try them again, who knows.

I love it when people start a thread based on a 2 year old news story.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
We saw the computers at Port Orleans one year, but I don't remember seeing them when we were there in August.

epcot71

Originally posted by The Mom

Excuse me! As an AARP member I take exception!! ;)

I'm more concerned about little Johnny who changes his mind 5 times before he finally decides!

Let's face it, there could (and will) be delays and problems caused by all sorts of people for all sorts of reasons. I'm getting a little tired of do-it-yourself everything these days! If a business wants my money, the least they can do is run the damn credit card for me! Sorry, I'm heading off on a rant...must stop this. ;)

sorry mom-i forgot to respect my elders-he he he-please dont call me a "LITTLE WHIPPER SNAPPER":lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Main Street USA

Original Poster
Hey Bradleyj, kiss it! Threads are for starting conversation. And apparently I'm not the only one who hadn't heard about this. So don't be such a jerk. No one is making you read or participate on any of the threads. The only reason you clicked on mine to begin with was to make sure everyone knew that you already knew about these a long time ago. Well, all bow to Bradleyj!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by BradleyJ
I love it when people start a thread based on a 2 year old news story.

Originally posted by Main Street USA
Hey Bradleyj, kiss it! Threads are for starting conversation. And apparently I'm not the only one who hadn't heard about this. So don't be such a jerk.

Hey guys take it easy!
There is no problem with posting some older news - it hasnt been discussed on here before - so its very relevent. :)

BradleyJ

If you think I am being a jerk fine.

The machine were put in 2 years ago, they lasted about a month.

And then disapeared. They only took credit cards and room charges.

If they show up again one day, who knows.

But if you think I am being a jerk, becuase I commented on someone digging up a two year old news story, fine.

But there are more current issues that could be addressed. But what got me, is how many peeople kept on going like this was new news when it wasn't, they didn't go over, and were removed.

This story ended, a month after it started 2 years ago.

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by BradleyJ
If you think I am being a jerk fine.

The machine were put in 2 years ago, they lasted about a month.

And then disapeared. They only took credit cards and room charges.

If they show up again one day, who knows.

But if you think I am being a jerk, becuase I commented on someone digging up a two year old news story, fine.

But there are more current issues that could be addressed. But what got me, is how many peeople kept on going like this was new news when it wasn't, they didn't go over, and were removed.

This story ended, a month after it started 2 years ago.

But why did you have to be rude about it? If you had ended your post before your last snide comment, you would have been thanked for the update! Instead, you prompted an equally hostile response! I'm sorry that some of us were not as informed about this as you...I wasn't even looking at any Disney boards when the article was published, and don't read that newspaper! I also didn't happen to visit WDW during the trial period, and subsequent removal. I guess, in your opinion, that makes me stupid!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom