News New Club Cool opens Summer 2021 at EPCOT

Disstevefan1

yeah, i think quality is a real issue for those machines. In my experience they always seem to be out of half of the options anyway. I feel like those will become a thing of the past rather quickly.
I agree, free samples at club cool will be a thing of the past. I know I am in the minority, but I will miss them. It was always my first stop when in EPCOT.

I will miss you the most Beverly my love 😂

Giss Neric

I know people give Zach Riddley a lot of crap here but I think this is some really creative design. Like he says in the post combining the sponsored product, recycling, and a retro material style is some perfect synthesis of ideas.
What was the issue here with Zach? Inexperienced? He's not up to par with the other imagineers? Is it because he's one of the few who is in social media a lot?

trainplane3

I know people give Zach Riddley a lot of crap here but I think this is some really creative design. Like he says in the post combining the sponsored product, recycling, and a retro material style is some perfect synthesis of ideas.
I like the floor but it's just a terrazzo floor. They're extremely common. Recycling Coke stuff into the floor is neat but again, he's dressing up a basic thing to be groundbreaking.

owlsandcoffee

I like the floor but it's just a terrazzo floor. They're extremely common. Recycling Coke stuff into the floor is neat but again, he's dressing up a basic thing to be groundbreaking.

I think the idea with the terrazzo is that it's retro and reminiscent of OG Epcot. All the floors are basic. A lot of the Magic Kingdom's ground is just pavement.

ImperfectPixie

My husband does floors for a living...you wouldn't believe the lengths people go to to make a ho-hum floor seem like it's AMAZING. Like using 12x12 vinyl tiles to create a mid-floor stripe that follows the length of a hall is some new idea that's never been used before.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What was the issue here with Zach? Inexperienced? He's not up to par with the other imagineers? Is it because he's one of the few who is in social media a lot?
If the content that Zach posts was through a PR person, people would grouse about the content of the posts, but wouldn't normally attack the PR person, because, generally, you don't shoot the messenger.

But since Zach is Imagineering, he becomes the lightning rod for the content and people seem more than happy to shoot the messenger because he's also the origin.

Add to that that Zach can be quite hyberpolic in pre-emptively defending and promoting what he and the other imagineers are doing. And nothing sets people off like hating something and someone pixie-dusting over it.

Because of this, some hate everything Zach says and does, even if it's stuff they don't particularly dislike. Then they go out of their way to insult Zach whenever possible, even in very childish ways to score their hate-points. It's Zach Riddley derangement syndrome.

I'm not saying he's above criticism in the way he interacts with the public, nor am I saying that his work is above criticism. Just that some elevate their dislike of him to 11 in all things, which isn't helpful.

TikibirdLand

If the content that Zach posts was through a PR person, people would grouse about the content of the posts, but wouldn't normally attack the PR person, because, generally, you don't shoot the messenger.

But since Zach is Imagineering, he becomes the lightning rod for the content and people seem more than happy to shoot the messenger because he's also the origin.

Add to that that Zach can be quite hyberpolic in pre-emptively defending and promoting what he and the other imagineers are doing. And nothing sets people off like hating something and someone pixie-dusting over it.

Because of this, some hate everything Zach says and does, even if it's stuff they don't particularly dislike. Then they go out of their way to insult Zach whenever possible, even in very childish ways to score their hate-points. It's Zach Riddley derangement syndrome.

I'm not saying he's above criticism in the way he interacts with the public, nor am I saying that his work is above criticism. Just that some elevate their dislike of him to 11 in all things, which isn't helpful.
But, you have to admit his comments on a FLOOR are a bit hyperbolic:
These beautiful floor finishes not only create a branded aesthetic for Club Cool, but further emphasizes both Disney and Coca-Cola’s commitment to sustainability and protecting our environment – perfectly fitting in EPCOT.

I think it's interesting what they're doing there. But, is it really a big step forward for Club Cool? Seems like something you'd want to discuss in a "behind the scenes" tour later, not something announced before you even completed grinding the terrazzo.

Bocabear

But, you have to admit his comments on a FLOOR are a bit hyperbolic:
These beautiful floor finishes not only create a branded aesthetic for Club Cool, but further emphasizes both Disney and Coca-Cola’s commitment to sustainability and protecting our environment – perfectly fitting in EPCOT.

I think it's interesting what they're doing there. But, is it really a big step forward for Club Cool? Seems like something you'd want to discuss in a "behind the scenes" tour later, not something announced before you even completed grinding the terrazzo.
I agree... Show us something that is actually going to matter... Is there a fantastic centerpiece to the space? If you are putting it out there as media hype and promotion, shouldn't it be something promotion worthy?... Like here is some lumber we may use, and here are paint chips...also we will have electric and plumbing...
Wow! So excited now....
or do they already know the new Club Cool is going to be so downgraded and value-engineered that this is all they have got...and a bunch of Coca Cola graphics signs....

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
The issue could be the striking difference in social media messages from Joe Rhodes and Zach. I wonder if Zach did more sharing the design process, explaining the design choices, talking more Disney nerd stuff and less patting on thee self back and PR fluff talk, his fan base and those on fan boards would speak kinder.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom