New Cirque du Soleil 'Drawn to Life' show in development to replace La Nouba

MrPromey

He is overrated.

That's one opinion.

Cirque has certainly survived* without him but I recall a time when it felt like all of their shows were hits.

Now I'd say they are very hit-or-miss.

There was once a time in my innocent youth when I bought tickets based on their name alone, knowing I'd never be disappointed. I actually flew to Biloxi (of all places) specifically to go to a show, once.

After paying good money for good seats to a number of stinkers in the years since, I now do my homework before buying tickets and it feels an awful lot like that started happening right around the time he and the company parted ways.

It could just be a coincidence and more the result of them spreading too thin trying to expand, I guess.

*I'd even say thrived, as a business, at least.

MrPromey

I agree more with your last point. They are giving us too much every year. I hope in the near future they begin to dial back on the amount of new offerings they bring to the table. Eventually the market will be saturated.

And I couldn't agree more with your sentiment, here.

TrainsOfDisney

He is overrated.

I disagree. Quidam and O are 2 of the best shows ever produced on earth in my opinion.

Cirque has had some amazing shows since he left (Corteo and Iris), but they’ve had some painfully bad ones as well. (Like kooza, was so excited to take my mom to a tent show and it was kooza. What trash.)

However the new show looks really good.... I love the art they debuted and it sounds like a neat concept that will actually be more human than some of the cirque shows. Which is a good thing.

Side note... anyone a fan of the 7 fingers? Now if THEY got a show at Disney springs I’d go broke seeing every single show while I was down there. They are by far the best contemporary circus company out there imho.

KBLovedDisney

I disagree. Quidam and O are 2 of the best shows ever produced on earth in my opinion.

Cirque has had some amazing shows since he left (Corteo and Iris), but they’ve had some painfully bad ones as well. (Like kooza, was so excited to take my mom to a tent show and it was kooza. What trash.)

However the new show looks really good.... I love the art they debuted and it sounds like a neat concept that will actually be more human than some of the cirque shows. Which is a good thing.

Side note... anyone a fan of the 7 fingers? Now if THEY got a show at Disney springs I’d go broke seeing every single show while I was down there. They are by far the best contemporary circus company out there imho.
I loved Kooza 😔

KBLovedDisney

And that’s why the world goes round! We each love different things! Ha. It was great seeing Anthony Gotto (juggler... he was later in La Nouba) though. That act alone was worth seeing the show for me. Ha.

Did you like the dragone shows as well?
I actually haven't seen that one yet! I saw La Nouba (which was IMHO ok, but I liked Kooza better), Varekai (which I don't really remember much of), and bits and pieces of Alegria (which I LOVED the music for).

ilovetotravel1977

I've only seen Ka in Vegas and it was really good. We had seat up front, so we could see their make-up in detail and how the stage mechanics all worked under the floor. And let's not forget the crazy theming for the theatre itself!

I'm going to see Crystal on Saturday and I can't wait!

the.dreamfinder

I'm just glad Disney Springs is getting entertainment in general. Hopefully this doesn't flop like the NBA Experience. To be completely honest, I'm surprised Disney hasn't either contracted Topgolf to build on property, or build their own version of Topgolf. It's a really cool concept.
We already have Splitsville and there’s a TopGolf on Universal Boulevard.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

We already have Splitsville and there’s a TopGolf on Universal Boulevard.

..but doesn't Disney want to keep guests on property? Ideally, unpopular opinion btw, Disney should make Disney Springs a full day experience with several more entertainment attractions, and it would be golden. However, I totally see where Disney is going with making it a "night out" style thing.

BlindChow

There was once a time in my innocent youth when I bought tickets based on their name alone, knowing I'd never be disappointed. I actually flew to Biloxi (of all places) specifically to go to a show, once.
The same for me (road trip in my case). Saw Alegria in Biloxi, and loved it.

My first experience with Cirque, though, was La Nouba, at Disney. It blew me away, and I became, briefly, obsessed...

But their shows since Dragone left have simply left me cold.

I love that Benoit Jutras is back doing the music, though. His scores (including La Nouba), were always my favorite.

I will definitely be seeing this show...

Disney Analyst

Did you get a chance to see KURIOS in person? I’ve only seen the tapped performance. Really hoping they bring it back to North America after it finishes its Asia/Australia tour.
Yes, I saw it in Miami. One of the best productions I saw at the point, exceeded by VOLTA, which in turn was exceed by LUZIA. I doubt it will return to NA until after its European tour. But their tour schedules are so wonky now. I'll be seeing Alegria in Miami later this year.

Saw Kurios here in Vancouver, such an amazing show! The scenic design and all.

Seeing Luzia this fall, can’t wait! Hope it’s good.

MrPromey

The same for me (road trip in my case). Saw Alegria in Biloxi, and loved it.

My first experience with Cirque, though, was La Nouba, at Disney. It blew me away, and I became, briefly, obsessed...

But their shows since Dragone left have simply left me cold.

I love that Benoit Jutras is back doing the music, though. His scores (including La Nouba), were always my favorite.

I will definitely be seeing this show...

That's pretty much me, too!

Started with La Nouba, drove a bit to see some that were further away on tour in this (SE) region of the country. Flew to Alegria and have been out to Vegas a few times.

I've seen some newer shows that I've liked.

KA is good, in my opinion.

Saw Crystal last year and really liked

Just seems like there's been a lot of misfires, in there, too and I see them taking shortcuts with shows like Volta, injecting straight up flat-screen video in place of live storytelling and odd choices for aspects that made bad viewing angles for an in-the-round show (in my case, with top teir priced tickets, too) and in general, it just sometimes feels like a Cirque knockoff trying to impersonate the brand to me these days.

I notice that similar to stuff with Disney, people who've never experienced these older shows tend to have a more positive opinion of the newer ones I haven't liked as much which leads me to believe they just don't know what they've missed.

I'm sure I'll go see this new one at least once. The shot on the website of the Goofy Silhouette that looks like it might be made by a performer contorting for a shadow-puppet effect looks promising in a creative and not totally garish way and I do have higher expectations for it since it's a new permanent installation that I'm sure they know, people expect to be at least as good as what was there before.

I guess we'll see, though.

Last edited:

MrPromey

And that’s why the world goes round! We each love different things! Ha. It was great seeing Anthony Gotto (juggler... he was later in La Nouba) though. That act alone was worth seeing the show for me. Ha.

Did you like the dragone shows as well?

Didn't dislike Ko

I didn't dislike Kooza but the fact that I had to look it up and watch a video on Youtube to remember having seen it kind of says what sort of an impression that one left on me. ;)

MrPromey

Wow really?! I find VOLTA to be one of the greatest shows they've ever done. 😂 The story was so empowering, the stage design literally out of this world, and I could gush about the soundtrack for eternity. Now compared to Crystal, which I saw just a few months after VOLTA, that was a dud. It was pretty much the same story as VOLTA but less empowering with just mediocrity spilled everywhere. I'm sorry to everyone else on the forum that we've hijacked this thread with Cirque talk. But Cirque du Soleil fans are such a niche fan base, it is such fun to discuss it with others since there really isn't a dedicated space.

Resorting to the video screens to run pre-recorded footage in "real world" looking places seemed lame to me and was a jarring contrast that I felt didn't really fit. The parts that had him in the dressing room that was sort of nested into the back of the stage seemed odd too because you could only really see in clearly from a center seat which the vast majority in the tent, aren't

That kind of stuff just felt like poor design and direction to me for a show made by a company who wrote the book on how to do these kinds of things "in the round".

I'd be lying if I said I was a fan of the whole Quid Pro Quo aspect and how that was done, too... And the guy playing with his butt as the "clown" segment... just seemed kind of trashy to me. The fact that he even stops at one point and is like "Cirque du Soleil!" as if to say "yes, you're really seeing this as an act in a Cirque show" in a meta way (which did get a laugh) seemed really telling.

Sounds like the overall arching story spoke to you personally which I can apprecaite but there were just so many aspects of the show that felt either amateurish, garish and uncouth or just not as impressive as some of their other shows (the big bike act at the end felt like it would have been a mid-act in a lot of their other shows and I kind of walked out thinking "that's it?")

Personally, I thought the choreography, set design and individual acts for Crystal were better. I was also impressed with their ability to create a show like this on Ice and with the way they used projection mapping for parts of it in a very organic way.

I was leery going in because I've not been too impressed with any of their arena shows that I've seen and maybe the novelty of it being on ice but not "Disney-on-ice" style gave it extra marks for me.

That said, I'll grant there were parts that felt derivative of other Cirque shows (I felt like this one cribbed a lot from Quidam story-wise) but after seeing a certain number of them, you start to see things that I like to call "stock" Cirque in just about all of the shows, to some degree.

The actual overarching story in these is always a little abstract (some more so than others) so I tend to not judge the show as heavily on that aspect but if one really hit me hard there, I could see feeling more strongly about it. That may be part of why we have differing opinions, here.

I agree, it is fun to discuss all of this, though!

As for us hijacking the thread I have two things to say:

• It's a thread about a Cirque show and we're still talking about Cirque shows so we're still more on-topic than 95% of the meandering conversation in just about any other thread and...

• Unlike when everyone goes off on tangents in other threads, we're all disagreeing but in a completely and totally respectful way this time!

Seriously, this should be a model of the right way to derail a thread around here, don't you think? ;)

Last edited:

ilovetotravel1977

IMO, doing all those "cirque" moves on the ice just raises the bar a few notches. I can't imagine doing some of those acrobatic tricks on "land" and then done on ice! I mean, c'mon!

halltd

Resorting to the video screens to run pre-recorded footage in "real world" looking places seemed lame to me and was a jarring contrast that I felt didn't really fit. The parts that had him in the dressing room that was sort of nested into the back of the stage seemed odd too because you could only really see in clearly from a center seat which the vast majority in the tent, aren't

That kind of stuff just felt like poor design and direction to me for a show made by a company who wrote the book on how to do these kinds of things "in the round".

I'd be lying if I said I was a fan of the whole Quid Pro Quo aspect and how that was done, too... And the guy playing with his butt as the "clown" segment... just seemed kind of trashy to me. The fact that he even stops at one point and is like "Cirque du Soleil!" as if to say "yes, you're really seeing this as an act in a Cirque show" in a meta way (which did get a laugh) seemed really telling.

Sounds like the overall arching story spoke to you personally which I can apprecaite but there were just so many aspects of the show that felt either amateurish, garish and uncouth or just not as impressive as some of their other shows (the big bike act at the end felt like it would have been a mid-act in a lot of their other shows and I kind of walked out thinking "that's it?")

Personally, I thought the choreography, set design and individual acts for Crystal were better. I was also impressed with their ability to create a show like this on Ice and with the way they used projection mapping for parts of it in a very organic way.

I was leery going in because I've not been too impressed with any of their arena shows that I've seen and maybe the novelty of it being on ice but not "Disney-on-ice" style gave it extra marks for me.

That said, I'll grant there were parts that felt derivative of other Cirque shows (I felt like this one cribbed a lot from Quidam story-wise) but after seeing a certain number of them, you start to see things that I like to call "stock" Cirque in just about all of the shows, to some degree.

The actual overarching story in these is always a little abstract (some more so than others) so I tend to not judge the show as heavily on that aspect but if one really hit me hard there, I could see feeling more strongly about it. That may be part of why we have differing opinions, here.

I agree, it is fun to discuss all of this, though!

As for us hijacking the thread I have two things to say:

• It's a thread about a Cirque show and we're still talking about Cirque shows so we're still more on-topic than 95% of the meandering conversation in just about any other thread and...

• Unlike when everyone goes off on tangents in other threads, we're all disagreeing but in a completely and totally respectful way this time!

Seriously, this should be a model of the right way to derail a thread around here, don't you think? ;)
The show is much different now. Different acts, different clown, different game show at the beginning. It’s come a long way and is one of my favorites.

MrPromey

The show is much different now. Different acts, different clown, different game show at the beginning. It’s come a long way and is one of my favorites.

Certainly would be happy to hear they improved this.

How recent were these changes? Did you see the original to have a good idea of what I'm talking about?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom