New Cirque du Soleil 'Drawn to Life' show in development to replace La Nouba

ilovetotravel1977

Does anyone remember if you buy tickets on WDW website and can you can use Disney gift cards to buy tickets, or is it completely separate through the Cirque website?

yensidtlaw1969

Disney ran ticketing, but it was on its own site, just for La Nouba.

Fun fact: if Cirque ever leaves, the contract requires Disney to tear down the theater.
I can neither confirm nor deny, but it doesn’t sound impossible - the kind of work Cirque du Soleil does is highly proprietary and a theater designed specifically to house it would likely have a lot in its bones that Cirque wouldn’t necessarily want ending up serving another company.

Could you imagine Cirque turning over one of its theaters in Vegas to another show? It’s weird to think that this one would have to be torn down, but perhaps it’s also easier to start over than it is to try to plug in another tenant.

Stranger things have happened in the world of stage theatrics.

Last edited by a moderator:

halltd

I can neither confirm nor deny, but it doesn’t sound impossible - the kind of work Cirque du Soleil does is highly proprietary and a theater designed specifically to house it would likely have a lot in its bones that Cirque wouldn’t necessarily want ending up serving another company.

Could you imagine Cirque turning over one of its theaters in Vegas to another show? It’s weird to think that this one would have to be torn down, but perhaps it’s also easier to start over than it is to try to plug in another tenant.

Stranger things have happened in the world of stage theatrics.
This has happened before. Cirque leaves resident theatres, even custom built for them and other shows take them over. In Macau, their Zaia show had a theatre custom built for them inside the Venetian. Cirque left and the theatre now is a general purpose theatre but looks almost exactly the same. I’m sure the stage and equipment in the grid was modified to support all sorts of acts, but the whole thing wasn’t gutted or town down. That’s not how theatres work.

yensidtlaw1969

This has happened before. Cirque leaves resident theatres, even custom built for them and other shows take them over. In Macau, their Zaia show had a theatre custom built for them inside the Venetian. Cirque left and the theatre now is a general purpose theatre but looks almost exactly the same. I’m sure the stage and equipment in the grid was modified to support all sorts of acts, but the whole thing wasn’t gutted or town down. That’s not how theatres work.
I meant to say turning it over without severe modification - in the case of the kinds of shows Cirque does, sometimes that IS how it works. The traveling shows put up tents because they need a venue tailored to their needs so specifically that adaptable venues cannot be found readily, and in the case of the sit-downs the theater is designed for the specific show not really considering what might play after since they 1) Presume they will be playing a while and 2) Would see the theater completely retrofitted before anything new comes in anyway.

It would be decently exceptional to have a clause that states the building need be razed before turning the plot over to another stage show, because, well, when’s the last time you heard of that, but it’s not impossible.

Jon81uk

Does anyone remember if you buy tickets on WDW website and can you can use Disney gift cards to buy tickets, or is it completely separate through the Cirque website?

We had a credit on our room account last trip, so wanted to pay for La Nouba tickets by charging to our room account (tapping MagicBand), the only way to do this was to pay at the box office at the theatre. So you might be able to use gift cards in person at the theatre too...

halltd

I meant to say turning it over without severe modification - in the case of the kinds of shows Cirque does, sometimes that IS how it works. The traveling shows put up tents because they need a venue tailored to their needs so specifically that adaptable venues cannot be found readily, and in the case of the sit-downs the theater is designed for the specific show not really considering what might play after since they 1) Presume they will be playing a while and 2) Would see the theater completely retrofitted before anything new comes in anyway.

It would be decently exceptional to have a clause that states the building need be razed before turning the plot over to another stage show, because, well, when’s the last time you heard of that, but it’s not impossible.
This is quite different than what you originally said. Tearing down an entire building is not the same as removing theatrical equipment in a theatre. I still even doubt the contract says the theatre has to be retrofitted because it'd have to be anyways, so no need to require it in a contract. Any other production that comes in would need different lights, different winches, etc... That's just how theatres work.

yensidtlaw1969

This is quite different than what you originally said. Tearing down an entire building is not the same as removing theatrical equipment in a theatre. I still even doubt the contract says the theatre has to be retrofitted because it'd have to be anyways, so no need to require it in a contract. Any other production that comes in would need different lights, different winches, etc... That's just how theatres work.
Yes that is the nature of a theater but . . . these theaters are exceptional and do not operate the same way as a traditional theater. It's not like loading out La Nouba leaves no trace of La Nouba the way that The Lion King National Tour leaves no trace once it's left a venue. That's sort of what I'm trying to say - it goes further than simply "removing theatrical equipment" for a building like this - there is no comparison to a standard touring venue where many productions design themselves to be able pop up within that space, it's the inverse where the venue was designed to accommodate a specific show and accommodating another show would necessitate serious, serious modification, and letting someone else into that space is perhaps something Cirque has deep interest in not doing.

Not to mention that there is yet another unique feature of this building which is the design - none of the Cirque theaters in Vegas are designed as a standalone construct meant to be seen from all angles and represent the show as a visual icon. It's possible that Cirque has ownership over the exterior design of the theater as well as the interior, and THAT could necessitate that the building be torn down before being turned over to another tenant.

But all of this is simply to say, again, that it would be unusual but it's not impossible.

wdwjmp239

While this is a thread about a new Cirque show replacing La Nouba, I was told by a CM at Disney Springs that the new show (coming in March 2020) is a Cirque show and will be Disney themed which got me thinking:

Minnie & Mickey Mouse swinging from the rafters? Goofy jumping up and down on the trampolines? Donald Duck singing something in the made up Cirque language they use in a lot of their shows?

Should be interesting. ;)

wdwjmp239

la nouba.whatta show... my gf and i were picked to be part of the show..well i was actually dragged to the stage by the performers while one of em sat in my seat and put his arms around her...

i was totally stunned and embarrased as they non verbally expressed to me to lay down on the stage..
still not getting the hint they had to actually lift me up and place me down on the stage so the bicycle riders could jump over me...

one of the performers sadly or gladly used his his hands to cover his regions to a big audience laugh, i followed and went thru this and was totally into it by this time...

act over i got a big applause and was given a honorary cirque soleil member plaque with my name on it...my GF was so jealous
:)

That's cool!

I was picked to go on stage at a Blue Man Group show at Universal Studios a few years ago and got a pair of drumsticks from them. That was pretty cool. :)

halltd

la nouba.whatta show... my gf and i were picked to be part of the show..well i was actually dragged to the stage by the performers while one of em sat in my seat and put his arms around her...

i was totally stunned and embarrased as they non verbally expressed to me to lay down on the stage..
still not getting the hint they had to actually lift me up and place me down on the stage so the bicycle riders could jump over me...

one of the performers sadly or gladly used his his hands to cover his regions to a big audience laugh, i followed and went thru this and was totally into it by this time...

act over i got a big applause and was given a honorary cirque soleil member plaque with my name on it...my GF was so jealous
:)
One of my favorite parts of that show!!

wdwjmp239

One of my favorite parts of that show!!
I'm a road cyclist and the bicycles part of the show where the bicyclist takes his mountain bike out into the audience and up the stairs was pretty cool. You have to love and appreciate how long he can hold a track stand, or a stand still. The longest I can hold a track stand is 4 mins. They're pretty hard to do. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom