News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

corran horn

I did once. The restaurant didn't have an allergy book so we had no real choices to eat. Our allergies were noted in our ADRs and I had contacted dining before the trip. The food came out one order wrong and all of them cold, the drinks came out warm and when we told the server we got "sorry" and the server just walked away. There was nobody to talk to in the restaurant about the issues.
Now that's actionable feedback.

TrainsOfDisney

Would anyone seriously consider walking into GR and telling the CMs in there "I'm angry because Disney decided you're allowed to get a tattoo now"? All you're going to get is insincere commiserations from CMs who in reality probably disagree with everything you're saying. Not to mention this puts CMs in the uncomfortable position of having to defend a company decision that has positive implications for THEM in a way that doesn't offend YOU, the guest, despite this policy having very little to actually do with you.

Not to mention it's not going to "fix" anything. Disney Look isn't going to revert back.
I would consider writing an email that explained how I feel that parts of the Disney Look are very important to the overall Disney Parks experience and that I don’t think Disney Parks, as a premium experience should have a more relaxed dress code than in-n-out and chick-fil-a.

I love that the attitude that you have as a cm is “the CM’s and the company aren’t going to listen to the opinion of a guest” - that’s so much of the problem at Disney right there.

Amidala

I would consider writing an email that explained how I feel that parts of the Disney Look are very important to the overall Disney Parks experience and that I don’t think Disney Parks, as a premium experience should have a more relaxed dress code than in-n-out and chick-fil-a.

I love that the attitude that you have as a cm is “the CM’s and the company aren’t going to listen to the opinion of a guest” - that’s so much of the problem at Disney right there.

I never once said CMs won't listen. I DID say that by approaching a GR CM with complaints about a policy that is in their own best interest (and which, again, has comparatively little to do with guests) you would be putting them in an extremely awkward position. And yes, CMs will hear you out because it is their job to do so, and they will placate you out of necessity. But they're under no obligation to genuinely agree with you, and most will not. CMs can and often do handle unfriendly guests politely & diplomatically w/o betraying their own feelings/opinions on a given issue. This is nothing new.

Not sure what the problem at Disney is that you're referring to here, but if CMs privately disagreeing w/ you = bad guest service to you that might be the larger problem of the two.

TrainsOfDisney

I never once said CMs won't listen. I DID say that by approaching a GR CM with complaints about a policy that is in their own best interest (and which, again, has comparatively little to do with guests) you would be putting them in an extremely awkward position. And yes, CMs will hear you out because it is their job to do so, and they will placate you out of necessity. But they're under no obligation to genuinely agree with you, and most will not. CMs can and often do handle unfriendly guests politely & diplomatically w/o betraying their own feelings/opinions on a given issue. This is nothing new.

Not sure what the problem at Disney is that you're referring to here, but if CMs privately disagreeing w/ you = bad guest service to you that might be the larger problem of the two.
are you suggesting that all cm’s don’t agree with me that Mary Poppins is the best movie ever? How dare you!!!!! ;)

I know cm’s who agree and disagree with me on a wide variety of topics including tattoos. But I would hope that a Cm at guest relations would listen to the complaint and understand that the guest cares about the appearance of cm’s because they care about and love the parks and want them to be the best they can be.

Like politics and religion, there could be some differences in what’s “the best they can be” means.

JD80

I don't think you actually read the Disney Look guidelines and just saw the word tattoo and freaked out.

Amidala

are you suggesting that all cm’s don’t agree with me that Mary Poppins is the best movie ever? How dare you!!!!! ;)

I know cm’s who agree and disagree with me on a wide variety of topics including tattoos. But I would hope that a Cm at guest relations would listen to the complaint and understand that the guest cares about the appearance of cm’s because they care about and love the parks and want them to be the best they can be.

Like politics and religion, there could be some differences in what’s “the best they can be” means.

I get that, but I do think there’s a difference between a guest telling a CM “I’m not happy with the paint job on Cinderella castle” vs. “I’m not happy with the fact that you are now allowed to shave your head/paint your nails/get a tattoo/wear the appropriate costume for your gender/etc.” Not saying you aren’t within your rights to contact the company & voice your displeasure (even though I maintain at this point that ship has pretty much sailed) but confronting a CM in person about this specific policy just seems insensitive to me.

TrainsOfDisney

I get that, but I do think there’s a difference between a guest telling a CM “I’m not happy with the paint job on Cinderella castle” vs. “I’m not happy with the fact that you are now allowed to shave your head/paint your nails/get a tattoo/wear the appropriate costume for your gender/etc.” Not saying you aren’t within your rights to contact the company & voice your displeasure (even though I maintain at this point that ship has pretty much sailed) but confronting a CM in person about this specific policy just seems insensitive to me.
Or the CM may agree with me? I have friends who are CM’s and they don’t all agree with the new policy 100%.

Amidala

Or the CM may agree with me? I have friends who are CM’s and they don’t all agree with the new policy 100%.

Sure, possibly. But you're still raising an issue that directly affects them (not guests) in a space where they're then pressured to agree w/ you, reassure you & take action on your behalf. Kind of similar to if you were to walk into GR and tell the CMs you think they're being paid too much. Feels like crossing a line to me personally but obviously YMMV.

TrainsOfDisney

Kind of similar to if you were to walk into GR and tell the CMs you think they're being paid too much. Feels like crossing a line to me personally but obviously YMMV.
I hope you didn’t pull a muscle with that stretch!

Either way... I wouldn’t personally complain about this in person. If I wanted to voice my concern, I would do so in a written statement where I could word it as best as possible.

stevebwv

Each individual has a uniqueness we should be celebrating and forcing them to comply to some arbitrary theme is foolishness. I can't wait for WDW to allow CMs to wear their own costumes allowing them to express their personality. The name tag signifies who is an employee and who isn't. Why does it matter what the CM wears while dishing out popcorn??

If you are bothered while you are waiting in line to meet the princess to see CMs dressed in a manner that displeases, you get over it.

Lilofan

Each individual has a uniqueness we should be celebrating and forcing them to comply to some arbitrary theme is foolishness. I can't wait for WDW to allow CMs to wear their own costumes allowing them to express their personality. The name tag signifies who is an employee and who isn't. Why does it matter what the CM wears while dishing out popcorn??

If you are bothered while you are waiting in line to meet the princess to see CMs dressed in a manner that displeases, you get over it.
I can't see someone in blue jeans and a t-shirt working at the Haunted Mansion or at the Tower of Terror.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

That's a record-breaking speed down that slippery slope. Enjoy your gold medal!

HarperRose

Nametags are easily purchased online.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom