News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

Figgy1

Premium Member
Let's not draw false equivalencies. You as well as I know the Disney Look updates are not that extreme of an example and plenty of teachers sport appropriate tattoos, earrings, etc.
One of the best teachers my kids ever had sported 5 Disney tattoos and 3 or more earrings and a cartilage piercing. MY ds lucked out and got her 3 years in a row.

tpac24

One of the best teachers my kids ever had sported 5 Disney tattoos and 3 or more earrings and a cartilage piercing. MY ds lucked out and got her 3 years in a row.
It is definitely not the same. No one is saying people with tattoos are bad. I have one that I got while on the CP. Schools don't have a particular theming Disney does. The picture of Main Street Mary or that dude in Fantasy Land doesn't fit in with the theming and for some it takes away from the magic Disney tries so hard to sell but obviously no longer wants to maintain.

Tori

Maybe because people aren't walking with their heads down especially not in Disney!
Everyone is busy with their phones. Also you don’t have to be staring at the ground. The markings are pretty obvious.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I'm going to guess that you are referring to swapping out long pants/trousers for shorts and short sleeve shirts? Some of those came about for safety reasons, and some of them were just plain cast comfort issues. If you want to look at it from a purely business perspective, it's harder to justify the dollars brought in by the "good show" of having Cast Members only wear long trousers, versus the dollars spent on Worker's Comp claims when cast are suffering from heat related illnesses. Better to be safe than sorry.

I’m not buying that excuse. There are still cast members required to wear long sleeves and long pants working outside and in the heat. WDW Railroad being a prime example where it’s even hotter because of the boiler and firebox.

Long sleeves obviously aren’t necessary for all costumes. I do think long pants should be but that’s just my opinion.

But yes Main Street operations traditionally (and still should imho) required long sleeves, a tie, and long pants. I also think they should require dress shoes but I know you’ll think I’m going too far now! :p

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I think this shows how much standards have changed in the past year.

28206DB1-7B47-48CC-AEA5-A50AAA9A9336.jpeg

RunningKoen

It is definitely not the same. No one is saying people with tattoos are bad. I have one that I got while on the CP. Schools don't have a particular theming Disney does. The picture of Main Street Mary or that dude in Fantasy Land doesn't fit in with the theming and for some it takes away from the magic Disney tries so hard to sell but obviously no longer wants to maintain.

It will without a doubt take some magic away for some people. But I guess the status quo is quite clear. More pro's than con's, more happy faces than sad faces.

Some people* might 'rage quit' and stop visiting Disney because a CM might have a tattoo or a beard.
On the other hand: a lot of CM's will be happy about this and some guest will prefer a more included cast aswell.

Personally, I couldnt care less if someone has a tattoo visible or not. There are far more annoying things in the parks for me.
A lot of things are less magical, other are more magical. Everyone has their preferences and the things they hold dear.

It's a internet forum so I'm not sure why I'm even trying this, but for a subject thats directely related to the ' included' theme, some of the very strong opinions and harsh words over here aren't feeling that inclusive :)

* Very, very, very few, I'd say.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

View attachment 549471
Exactly. And talking about a small detail that has nothing to do with the CM’s “comfort / expression” - notice how the old uniform had custom made metal buttons that feature Cinderella Castle engraved in them. The new vest features standard off the shelf plastic buttons.

RunningKoen

View attachment 549471

The outfits itself bother me more than short/long sleeves and/or tattoo's. Neither are that great combinations for me.
If we could replace the red jacket-thing with the old blue jacket thing (Im not sure how it's called, not even in my native language), it would be neat. The hat is also nice by the way.

The long sleeves even look slightly discomforting and way too puffy, while the right CM looks more at ease in her clothes, even without seeing her eyes. Her body language is more relaxed, while the left one feels slightly forced.

I see two CM's and couldnt care less which one helps me, based on looks. I'm more interested in wich one will help me kindly ;-)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom