News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

TrainsOfDisney

you're comparing a gesture and direction that is notably rude to certain populaces with something like a discreet but visible tattoo that you'd have to look hard to find, then jump through the mental hoops to justify as being offensive.
No. You’re taking my words and telling me my intentions when I said them.

I wasn’t taught that pointing with 2 fingers was done because it was rude in some cultures. I was taught that pointing with 2 fingers or the extended hand was a small detail because it appears more welcoming than pointing with one finger. That’s why I compared it to the “Disney Look” - it’s all the small details that make the “Disney Difference.”

Also.. I don’t think tattoos are offensive at all.

MrPromey

Might have to do with the fact they are trying to ramp up cast member numbers and without access to international talent pool, they had to make a strategic decision to relax the code in order to appeal to a wider demographic of potential cast members.
Has anyone considered maybe this is more about realizing that that they have a wider range of workforce by allowing this? With college programs in the air and less international workers available all due to COVID this might just be Disney trying cast a wider net to get employees, simple as that.
They are doing it for one reason ~ they need to hire people quickly to fill roles they let go early on in the shut-down.

In my entirely jaded opinion of the company today, I think it is all exactly this.

Whether you like these changes because they are inclusive or hate them because to you, they signal yet another downward trend in perceived quality doesn't matter much to Disney.

I'm pretty certain this has more to do with a company that laid off a majority of their low-wage staff several months back and who must rehire in volume, minus the international for now, in a couple of markets where other business are also trying to hire back low-wage staff.

Disney could try to beat their competition on pay, benefits, or other perks but those cost money so instead, they do this, which instantly widens their hiring pool, appears to cost them almost nothing and regardless of the reason for their choice, attaching the "inclusive"** label to it puts them above reproach for the decision in polite society.*

There you go. Not much mystery to it at all.

Pretty slick win-win move for Disney management regardless of how any of us feel about it.

*these forums are seldom polite society and I'm as guilty as anyone (in either direction).

**Inclusive seems to me to be the new "organic" or "environmental". It can mean pretty much whatever you want it to mean to suit your case. Not to say there aren't benefits to the honest intent that we used to ascribe to that word (there absolutely 100% are) but it feels like something that's been hijacked by PR departments and honestly, just makes me roll my eyes every time I see or hear it now for reasons that have nothing to do with a secret latent desire to see people unhappy and marginalized.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

So why not make the extension to tattoos or piercings: what is the difference between suspending disbelief when it comes to different genders/ages/races but not to tattoos and piercings? Why is that particular detail so important that we can't sacrifice it for some greater CM comfort?
Again, it’s not just a tattoo. It’s now a variety of items. A person doesn’t choose their gender, age or race but they choose their trendy sunglasses (something technically not allowed but rarely enforced) or jewelry.
Your lack of empathy with this is honestly kind of disturbing. You know full well CMs in long sleeves and pants in 100+ degree FL humidity aren’t “too warm” they’re at risk of heat stroke.
Peoples in hot climates around the world wear long clothes. One of the examples of Disney being more inclusive is women wearing more clothing. If long sleeves at pants are putting Cast Members at risk of heat stroke then the costumes should be redesigned to be appropriate for the local weather.

el_super

I'm in my early 30's and I just want the parks to be time-locked to how they were in the early 90's. Is that too much to ask?!?! ;)

Oh I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I think I would even gain a little respect for your position if the argument was really just a selfish one against change. I think we've all been there and love the comfort of things staying the same for our own personal satisfaction. Every time they rearrange the products in Target or change your favorite radio station to Christian rock, it can feel like a gut punch. So in that regard, yeah I think I know how you feel.

Tom Morrow

I don’t think the average target employee has an easier job than the average Disney retail employee.
A Target employee doesn't have to:

- Walk up to a mile to their work location before they can clock in
- Wear an often elaborate costume
- Often work in extreme heat, in said costumes
- Be held to the same very high service standards like getting in trouble for wearing socks that are dark grey instead of black
- Handle anywhere near the volume of guests
- Have people berate them and scream at them for "ruining their vacation" due to heightened expectations due to numerous factors like reputation and how much money they spent to get in. (Nobody really cares if a Target employee gives less than stellar performance).

The list goes on and on. Working at WDW is easily among the hardest, most stressful, and most demanding jobs for the pay scale. You either know this, or you haven't worked at Disney.

Mac Tonight

Oh I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I think I would even gain a little respect for your position if the argument was really just a selfish one against change. I think we've all been there and love the comfort of things staying the same for our own personal satisfaction. Every time they rearrange the products in Target or change your favorite radio station to Christian rock, it can feel like a gut punch. So in that regard, yeah I think I know how you feel.
Well then on that we can agree!

el_super

And number 1 would be the best option all round, for cast and guests.
2 is better for the bean counters.

That's a bit on the cynical side. If i were in casting, and had an otherwise perfect candidate in front of me, I would think it silly to have to tell them no based solely on a small tattoo or piecing they have. As these things become more common in society, it's going to be harder and harder to say no to otherwise good people and that's something that would weigh on me aside from any financial decisions.

TrainsOfDisney

Your lack of empathy with this is honestly kind of disturbing. You know full well CMs in long sleeves and pants in 100+ degree FL humidity aren’t “too warm” they’re at risk of heat stroke.

And like I have said many, many times, plenty of CMs have quit for these exact reasons. Obviously Disney doesn’t share your priorities and would rather hold onto their CMs than see them quit over an easily remedied triviality.
try working in a steam locomotive - you have to wear long pants, long sleeve shirt, and steel toed boots for safety reasons. Add to the summer heat the fire from the firebox. Yet somehow those employees survive!!!!

awoogala

Yes... but why is hand size a measure of appropriateness? That means something cultural like a large Polynesian tattoo is still considered inappropriate.
"Reasonable accommodations are provided to Cast Members under the Disney Look for sincerely-held religious beliefs. A Cast Member may request a religious accommodation by completing and sending to Employee Relations a Religious Accommodation Request form that is available on The Hub."
They could go about getting approval under the Religious Accomadation request. It should fall under that for anyone who is of Maori or Polynesian background, and follows the belief that these tattoos are sacred.

Tori

Peoples in hot climates around the world wear long clothes. One of the examples of Disney being more inclusive is women wearing more clothing. If long sleeves at pants are putting Cast Members at risk of heat stroke then the costumes should be redesigned to be appropriate for the local weather.
I’ve worn long sleeves and pants outside for extended periods of time and I’ve never had a heat stroke. I wear them for sun protection.

In the parks I’m gonna be hot regardless if I’m wearing short sleeves or long sleeves.

el_super

Again, it’s not just a tattoo. It’s now a variety of items. A person doesn’t choose their gender

Ah clearly you haven't gone that deep into the Disney Look changes yet...

, age or race but they choose their trendy sunglasses (something technically not allowed but rarely enforced) or jewelry.

Modern sunglasses have been allowed for some time under the Disney look because there is a safety and comfort aspect that has value over what the show or role would demand. So we say it's OK for a Big Thunder Cast Member to wear sunglasses, even if it doesn't fit with the role of a 1890s prospector. We say it's OK for them to wear a radio or a plastic poncho. So why draw the line at a tattoo?

You're right to point out though that the sunglasses are still somewhat controlled by the Disney Look as to which ones can and cannot be worn, but I'd wager to think you'd agree that an outright ban on sunglasses would be non-sensical. So how are tattoos different? Why can tattoos not follow the same "appropriateness" test?

Tom Morrow

I’ve worked at Disney. There are more petty rules and annoying managers going “you can’t do that” but other than that it’s basically the same as anywhere else.

“Elaborate costume” is a huge stretch for the majority of hourly positions.
"Anywhere else" doesn't have to do any of the things I listed. Don't hand-wave it. Also, retail is among the easier front-line Disney positions.

UNCgolf

I'm in my early 30's and I just want the parks to be time-locked to how they were in the early 90's. Is that too much to ask?!?! ;)

I would like the parks time-locked to the early 90s too -- at least Magic Kingdom and EPCOT. I'd like present day Animal Kingdom included, and Disney-MGM circa the mid 90s after Tower of Terror opened.

However, that's because of the attractions on hand as well as things like the themed stores and other quality issues. I don't think I'd care if the CMs were operating under this new set of guidelines.

el_super

"Reasonable accommodations are provided to Cast Members under the Disney Look for sincerely-held religious beliefs. A Cast Member may request a religious accommodation by completing and sending to Employee Relations a Religious Accommodation Request form that is available on The Hub."
They could go about getting approval under the Religious Accomadation request. It should fall under that for anyone who is of Maori or Polynesian background, and follows the belief that these tattoos are sacred.

Yeah... I would be shocked if they actually said no to someone in that situation.

TrainsOfDisney

Modern sunglasses have been allowed for some time under the Disney look because there is a safety and comfort aspect that has value over what the show or role would demand.
From the current “Disney Look” book -

“Sunglasses are a block to interpersonal communication with Guests and should be avoided if possible.”

Mac Tonight

I would like the parks time-locked to the early 90s too -- at least Magic Kingdom and EPCOT. I'd like present day Animal Kingdom included, and Disney-MGM circa the mid 90s after Tower of Terror opened.

However, that's because of the attractions on hand as well as things like the themed stores and other quality issues. I don't think I'd care if the CMs were operating under this new set of guidelines.
You know... if WDW in 2021 consisted of early-mid 90's Epcot Center and MK, mid-90's MGM Studios, and present day Animal Kingdom, I'd probably not be that upset by a visible tattoo either...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom