News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

lazyboy97o

I think this assumes a CM can't simultaneously fill a role and express themselves (to a reasonable degree). Even before the policy on jewelry was modified (2+ years prior to this latest update iirc), there were exceptions: religious jewelry, engagement and wedding rings, etc. If these things don't detract from the guest experience, why should my grandmother's necklace? You could go back and forth on these kinds of specifics all day. Yes, a POTC CM's blue nail polish is contradictory to the theme, but so are the black sneakers they got from Walmart, which have been Disney Look compliant at that location for decades. Should they be wearing period accurate boots? Where do you draw the line? For every careful detail Disney adds to an environment to make it seem authentic, there are a hundred more that could potentially break immersion.

These are glorified hourly customer service jobs, and at the end of the day, CMs are real people with lives who deserve to feel comfortable in their own skin while on their feet for long hours, sometimes seven days a week. Disney Look isn't going anywhere, it will always require CMs to be well groomed and presentable, and extreme body modifications, makeup, etc. still aren't permitted and won't be anytime soon. Despite all the fear mongering, this is not a slippery slope that will ultimately lead to CMs in Liberty Square looking like Hot Topic employees. It's a very simple, reasonable adjustment, and I'm honestly pretty shocked by the outpouring of negativity from fans.
But it’s not a choice of an item of self expression. It’s not a necklace or a tattoo or painted nails or trendy sunglasses. All of these are now allowed and they get combined with costumes that often are getting worse in their design and approved accessories like those big, bulky ugly water bottle holders (and that doesn’t mean Cast Members should not have water, it means Disney should design holders that match costumes instead of using a single ugly solution). I do think the big black shoes look awful and would very much welcome more options. Obviously shoes have certain safety considerations but it seems just having different colors wouldn’t be too much.

And we’re right back to questioning costumes. If desiring any sort of uniform look is dehumanizing then so is requiring people to wear and launder cheaply made communal uniforms.

Mac Tonight

It was a simple question and I sincerely want to know the answer. I am suspecting that a lot of people don't really have a good answer to the question, and that's why these discussions aren't going anywhere. If they are, even partially, reliant on this notion that tattoos are just inherently bad, without any justification, then why should 'they're just wrong' be justification for discrimination against Cast Members?

It seems like such a simple question that seems to be unanswerable.
I apologize for the glibness.

If you must know, I have nothing 100% whatsoever against tattoos as a general concept. In fact, many heroes of mine are covered in them. However, I also have friends that have done homemade tattoos on their hands, knuckles, and forearms, and they're 100% garbage and are definitely distracting in their crudeness (and unfortunate shape and design) not to mention restricting in the lines of work they could likely attain.

I guess what this really gets at to me is still the idea that a CM's individual "self-expression" is suddenly more important in the eyes of the modern Disney exec over maintaining what came before, simply because its __________ (fill in the blank calendar year).

Disney CM's have been able to have tattoos for decades, and covering them up has never been an issue until this new generation suddenly felt restricted by it, which again, is just part of a larger societal trend that I find disappointing has found it's way into the parks.

We probably won't agree on this, and that's OK.

Amidala

If you must know, I have nothing 100% whatsoever against tattoos as a general concept. In fact, many heroes of mine are covered in them. However, I also have friends that have done homemade tattoos on their hands, knuckles, and forearms, and they're 100% garbage and are definitely distracting in their crudeness (and unfortunate shape and design) not to mention restricting in the lines of work they could likely attain.

I guess what this really gets at to me is still the idea that a CM's individual "self-expression" is suddenly more important in the eyes of the modern Disney exec over maintaining what came before, simply because its __________ (fill in the blank calendar year).

Disney CM's have been able to have tattoos for decades, and covering them up has never been an issue until this new generation suddenly felt restricted by it, which again, is just part of a larger societal trend that I find disappointing has found it's way into the parks.

Covering them up has been an issue. CMs with tattoos on their legs and arms have been forced to wear tattoo sleeves and leggings underneath their costumes, often outdoors in extreme heat. I’m assuming your response to this would be either not to get the tattoos in the first place, or to quit/not accept the offer of employment if you don’t like the rules. And many people have! Obviously, as others have already mentioned, Disney needs to retain its current CMs and encourage new prospectives to apply. And of course, it doesn’t hurt their PR either.

This isn’t a matter of generational entitlement, it’s a calculated corporate decision. Honestly as a 20-something it’s getting kind of exhausting to have every single complaint foisted on younger generations. Tens of thousands of CMs show up to work every day in compliance with Disney Look, hiding their tattoos, removing their piercings, etc. and many of them are millennial/gen z. Thorough research led to this decision, not an excess of young CMs refusing to follow policy.

HarperRose

This.

lazyboy97o

Covering them up has been an issue. CMs with tattoos on their legs and arms have been forced to wear tattoo sleeves and leggings underneath their costumes, often outdoors in extreme heat.
An issue that will remain depending on size and/or location. Wearing long sleeves should not be problem, Disney should provide costume options that work in the local climate.

celluloid

Covering them up has been an issue. CMs with tattoos on their legs and arms have been forced to wear tattoo sleeves and leggings underneath their costumes, often outdoors in extreme heat. I’m assuming your response to this would be either not to get the tattoos in the first place, or to quit/not accept the offer of employment if you don’t like the rules. And many people have! Obviously, as others have already mentioned, Disney needs to retain its current CMs and encourage new prospectives to apply. And of course, it doesn’t hurt their PR either.

This isn’t a matter of generational entitlement, it’s a calculated corporate decision. Honestly as a 20-something it’s getting kind of exhausting to have every single complaint foisted on younger generations. Tens of thousands of CMs show up to work every day in compliance with Disney Look, hiding their tattoos, removing their piercings, etc. and many of them are millennial/gen z. Thorough research led to this decision, not an excess of young CMs refusing to follow policy.
Exactly. This is not as much inclusiveness as the fact that their hire pool is much harder with the resort opening back up as fast as it has and no CP programs like there was for the turnover in the past.

wdrive

No one is forced to work outside in extreme heat. Any cast member is free to resign and find a job elsewhere, or even an indoor job at Disney.

Parker in NYC

Maybe Disney should take a look at the GUESTS. The horrors some of these guests are anticipating (but would never be allowed) can be seen any day of the week. ESPECIALLY at Magic Kingdom, land of exposed hillbilly tattoos, visible thongs, and other unsavory sights to complement your dole whip experience. Seriously, I guess AK, EPCOT, and HS filter them at the tapstiles.

Mac Tonight

My response would be, yes, you know the rules, and if they're ones you don't care to follow, or are too restrictive for you, there are other jobs out there. If Disney is indeed trying to bring back current CM's, they already know the situation and have accepted it in the past.

I really don't understand this anecdotal idea going around that there is just a mythical bunch of unemployed tattooed individuals who have just been waiting around for Disney to make this change so that they could now feel comfortable enough to apply.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom