News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

NelsonRD

It is the standards of how we act as a society that is deteriorating. I do not find the loss of professionalism, talking to each other like the Housewives of Atlanta, and this never ending pursuit of happiness that results in great levels of depression and suicide, progress.

Sometimes the right answer is no. It has been proven that children that have boundaries are happier because it shows parents care. This anything goes allowance, in fear of reducing happiness, to create happiness, is a myth. It is the same as the failed mantra of "Everybody gets a trophy", although good intentions, has had far greater unintended consequences.

EPICOT

The myth of liberation: the more institutions, responsibilities, duties, societal norms, etc you remove from yourself, the more free you are. The most free person is, thus, the meth addict.

And we wonder why mental health issues are skyrocketing.

EPICOT

If they let a boy have long hair, then he looks like a girl! And I won't know whether that person is a boy or girl!!!

If i don't know if they're a boy or girl, how will I know whether to treat that cast member with respect or not??!!1!1!?

And how will I know whether I should aggressively flirt with that CM or not without their consent??!!??!!

This is the worst thing in the world. Worse than a world wide pandemic!!!1!!1!!1
strawman.jpg

You dropped this

lazyboy97o

Why should the opinions of a man who died 55 years ago dictate the standards of dress for anyone in 2021? When Disneyland opened in 1955, would you have forced employees to adhere to dress code or social norms circa 1900?
This though is part of the issue with allowing personal images of self expression. What is acceptable today may not be acceptable tomorrow. People keep using the example of butterfly tattoos as though that is the only tattoo that exists. Culturally appropriative tattoos are not hard to find, from Chinese characters to [quasi] tribal patterns. Something that was allowed for years could become unacceptable which will inevitably create conflict. Disney has determined that guns are mostly inappropriate for the parks, so does this mean tattoos featuring guns are inappropriate as well? What if it’s a Skipper holding a gun, an iconic Disney scene that has since been deemed inappropriate? Is a Splash Mountain tattoo okay but no longer appropriate when the attraction finally closes?

Chi84

Premium Member
Somehow I don’t think the CMs will have nearly as much trouble figuring out what is acceptable as a few of the posters here. If in doubt, I’m sure they can ask a supervisor. Dress and appearance standards have been around forever and most people seem to handle them without much confusion or drama.

SoFloMagic

Here's the issue I have, Disney has always set a higher standard for their CMs and in the past had consistently failed to give in to the pressure to change. If the changes can be reasonably accommodated, I say go for it; however, some things don't fit. For example someone working on Main Street having a visible tattoo doesn't make sense thematically unless they are being labeled a "freak show" or something. This has to do with the time period in which Main Street is set and keeping the theming is one of the things that has always set Disney apart from the Six Flags of the world.
Maybe it's a generational thing, but when I walk into magic kingdom, my brain knows the cast members are people who live in the Orlando area in 2021, not the middle of the county 100 years ago. I mean , if they really cared about thematic integrity they'd have a dress code for guests.

So it doesn't much matter to me if they have a tattoo or a septum piecing because I know they're really just Jane from Kissimmee who now feels like she can finally be herself at work...

But yeah, who cares if there are 500 "most expensive day ever" and "social disneying" shirts in our turn of the century main street, it's Jane and her tattoo that kills the theme... 😂

UNCgolf

While I'm sure there will be more guidance on how they define "appropriate," it really opens the door for a lot of inconsistency with how it's enforced. One lead may say that a particular tattoo is okay, while another may not. And unlike hair and nails that can change from day to day, a tattoo is going to remain the same, making the inconstancies even more pronounced. I feel sorry for the lower and middle management who are going to have to enforce this on a daily basis.

While I don't have any problems with the new policy, this is going to be an issue for Disney going forward, at least early on.

It's going to be difficult to have mid-level managers deciding which tattoos are appropriate and which are not, because different people are going to have different ideas about appropriateness. There are going to be some complaints from CMs (or potential CMs) as to why their tattoo is unacceptable when this other tattoo that CM has is okay. It will likely sort itself out in the long run as things get escalated to a higher level and the guidelines become more statutory, but I'm sure there will be some growing pains.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Maybe it's a generational thing, but when I walk into magic kingdom, my brain knows the cast members are people who live in the Orlando area in 2021, not the middle of the county 100 years ago. I mean ****, if they really cared about thematic integrity they'd have a dress code for guests.

So it doesn't much matter to me if they have a tattoo or a septum piecing because I know they're really just Jane from Kissimmee who now feels like she can finally be herself at work...

But yeah, who cares if there are 500 "most expensive day ever" and "social disneying" shirts in our turn of the century main street, it's Jane and her tattoo that kills the theme... 😂
Then why even bother with costumes? I know Jane from Kissimmee isn’t actually a miner or ringleader or bellhop.

Notes from Neverland

It's disappointing how sheltered parts of the Disney community are when news like this is considered an egregious offense. If the cast members playing face characters suddenly didn't look like the characters, that'd be worth being upset about. There's definitely going to be a feeling out process here, but I have no qualms with Disney modernizing itself where it was being discriminatory in some areas.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

There's definitely going to be a feeling out process here, but I have no qualms with Disney modernizing itself in an area where it was being discriminatory in some areas.
The discriminatory parts I agree with. In 2021 it’s not going to be “PC” to say women’s hair can be this length and mens hair can’t. I get that. (Same with jewelry / painted nails).

Allowing visible tattoos is a bit different. I think they are also allowing more jewelry now? Those are the relaxations of the Disney look that I don’t agree with but I didn’t agree with the facial hair either.

UNCgolf

It’s the moderate “case by case” analysis that I rarely see with online Disney fans. Mostly one extreme or another.

That really doesn't have anything to do with Disney specifically; it's just a negative trait for the majority of humanity. There just aren't that many people that can come at most topics with unbiased rationality. If you can't see both sides of an argument -- even if you strongly agree with one of the sides -- it's hard to make logical points to support your side and counter the opposing viewpoint.

Obviously there are some extreme positions where that's not an issue, but generally speaking, most things are far more nuanced and complicated than most people are either willing to see or possibly even capable of seeing.

Brer Oswald

That really doesn't have anything to do with Disney specifically; it's just a negative trait for the majority of humanity. There just aren't that many people that can come at most topics with unbiased rationality. If you can't see both sides of an argument -- even if you strongly agree with one of the sides -- it's hard to make logical points to support your side and counter the opposing viewpoint.

Obviously there are some extreme positions where that's not an issue, but generally speaking, most things are far more nuanced and complicated than most people are either willing to see or possibly even capable of seeing.
Couldn’t have said it any better.

Sam Magic

Who cares? Disney is a corporatist multi-national that wants to escape the ire of Twitter mobs, woke elites, and all while still getting their money. So from that perspective, this is a very savvy move.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom