News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

dreday3

Here's the issue I have, Disney has always set a higher standard for their CMs and in the past had consistently failed to give in to the pressure to change. If the changes can be reasonably accommodated, I say go for it; however, some things don't fit. For example someone working on Main Street having a visible tattoo doesn't make sense thematically unless they are being labeled a "freak show" or something. This has to do with the time period in which Main Street is set and keeping the theming is one of the things that has always set Disney apart from the Six Flags of the world.

Of course Disney has increasingly been doing things that make them more like Six Flags and less like Disney, such as:
  • Charging parking fees at the resorts
  • Eliminating more and more entertainment (even before COVID)
  • Having massive numbers of paid add-ons to reserve space for fireworks, parades, etc.
  • Not paying as much attention to theming as they should
The list could go on, I am not saying Disney isn't worth it, but I am saying they are taking away more and more of what sets them apart and allows them to charge the higher prices they do and I am concerned that this will push things even further that way.

And all of this is your opinion. More and more people are starting to feel differently than you.

Brer Oswald

I always thought this argument was funny because I think it's made up. Are there people that provide Disney with platitudes every time they release a statement or make a decision? Sure. But let's be real, that type of behavior is largely reserved for the bloggers, vloggers, and that niche subsect of the community.

Most of the time, Disney gets ripped to shreds for any choice they make whether it's deserved or not (see: this thread). I'm not trying to turn it into a conversation about apologists vs. detractors. My point is that the argument that the majority of the engaged Disney community consists of mindless shills is wrong when in fact most of the conversation is both critical and opinionated - otherwise there wouldn't be much conversation. It creates this false sense of superiority in that having a contrarian or critical opinion of Disney somehow makes the opinion more valid.
5 years ago, I would have agreed with you. Although it seems like the decades of negativity have pushed a pretty large subset of the online fan base to act the opposite. Mountains of praise for bare minimum acts, or in some cases, poor thought out decisions. It isn’t just bloggers and paid influencers. A great percentage on these boards, and on Twitter, are like this. And a great percentage are mostly negative.

It’s the moderate “case by case” analysis that I rarely see with online Disney fans. Mostly one extreme or another.

Disney Analyst

Here's the issue I have, Disney has always set a higher standard for their CMs and in the past had consistently failed to give in to the pressure to change. If the changes can be reasonably accommodated, I say go for it; however, some things don't fit. For example someone working on Main Street having a visible tattoo doesn't make sense thematically unless they are being labeled a "freak show" or something. This has to do with the time period in which Main Street is set and keeping the theming is one of the things that has always set Disney apart from the Six Flags of the world.

Of course Disney has increasingly been doing things that make them more like Six Flags and less like Disney, such as:
  • Having massive numbers of paid add-ons to reserve space for fireworks, parades, etc.
The list could go on, I am not saying Disney isn't worth it, but I am saying they are taking away more and more of what sets them apart and allows them to charge the higher prices they do and I am concerned that this will push things even further that way.

I refuse to believe that a CM with a small tattoo is more out of show on Main Street than barcode scanners, and computer tills, and all the other modern utilities employed.

There is a balance that can be struck with maintaining show, and not being crazy restrictive.

Quinnmac000

Professionalism: the competence or skill expected of a professional.

How someone's dress or how their hair doesn't dictate level of skill and how good their job is. That's why these standards are so dumb. I have no problems with these standards placed by Disney.

I think it says more about others if they are so bothered by how someone's hair is ordained/styled and the tattoos and piercing they possess.

I also think there are specific roles where it make sense even from a historical/cultural standard for them to have tattoos ie Pirates, Jungle Cruise, anyplace besides Dinoland USA in Animal Kingdom.

As for the hair, c'mon. Color doesn't matter as long it is "clean" (no smell and no visible dirt). Does bright blue hair come off as a shock sure but in the end, it really doesn't change anythng.

Men in skirts....Florida is hot, if part of my uniform I could wear a long skirt instead of pants...I'm doing that. Get some air without having to show my legs.

Rteetz

So one small tattoo makes you a freak show? I don’t have tattoos of any kind but that’s a weird statement.

What I really don’t get is your comparison to Six Flags. How does charging parking fees at hotels make Disney like Six Flags? I am pretty sure they don’t own and operate a bunch of hotels connected to their parks. Entertainment is probably the best item on your list in terms of comparing to six flags.

TheMaxRebo

Or maybe allowing CMs to be more themselves and be more comfortable doing their job is setting a higher standard - and will allow them to attract more people to work form, thus letting them hire a stronger overall workforce and provide better service

denyuntilcaught

5 years ago, I would have agreed with you. Although it seems like the decades of negativity have pushed a pretty large subset of the online fan base to act the opposite. Mountains of praise for bare minimum acts, or in some cases, poor thought out decisions. It isn’t just bloggers and paid influencers. A great percentage on these boards, and on Twitter, are like this. And a great percentage are mostly negative.

It’s the moderate “case by case” analysis that I rarely see with online Disney fans. Mostly one extreme or another.

I can see that yes! Though - and real question, wouldn't the "relentless positivity" be a symptom or product of the decades of negativity, versus the other way around?

Brer Oswald

I can see that yes! Though - and real question, wouldn't the "relentless positivity" be a symptom or product of the decades of negativity, versus the other way around?
Didn’t I say that? Doesn’t excuse it. “Who started it?” Who cares. Try to avoid continuing, or being an apologist of it.

G00fyDad

Or maybe allowing CMs to be more themselves and be more comfortable doing their job is setting a higher standard - and will allow them to attract more people to work form, thus letting them hire a stronger overall workforce and provide better service

Exactly. It's not the 20s 30s and 40s anymore. Henry Ford would require his employees to attend church and abstain from drinking. Not that that always worked but he still required it. Anyone found not attending church or drinking alcohol was terminated. Walt was cut from that same cloth to a small degree. I have a feeling that the stringent requirements on cast members up to now has been a direct throwback to that requirement from Walt Disney. We can't be that way anymore. My daughter is one of the hardest working people I know and she works as an office manager. She has half sleeve tattoos from elbow to wrist on both arms and small gauged ears and a piercing in her eyebrow and nose. She's one of the first people the customers see when they walk through the doors at her company. Her company is perfectly comfortable with her appearance. She doesn't dress like a slob and she's professional and she has a great work ethic. That's all they care about.

Mac Tonight

I don't know what you identify as but pretend if you are male someone said you had to wear a dress to work. Every day. Women get to wear pants. The problem isn't the employee, it's the employer that doesn't just give people an option to the uniforms that they designed.
Yikes. I hope you didn’t pull a muscle from that stretch...

But gosh, if I knew that that was what was expected of me I’d just... get a different job.

Last edited:

denyuntilcaught

Thats not real life, you confirm and get on. It’s called rules.

Actually what @TheMaxRebo stated is exactly what the emerging workforce is looking for in a role. In addition to better pay and more flexible work environments, they're looking for ways to express individuality and looking to work for companies with a positive impact on society (read: more inclusive.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom