News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

disneygeek90

I mean I don’t think women should wear men’s clothes either. See, women wear women’s clothes and men wear men’s clothes. But in our society today that’s considered odd and offensive because gender is now awful and people refuse to say no to this stupidity. You want to see a guy in a skirt that’s your business, but honestly it’s just gross.

Also, women are inferior because of clothing? What?
Or... hear me out... people wear clothes for people.

Last edited:

Stupido

I don't have to stay home to disagree with self expression that becomes a distraction to others. You can do what you want, but if you seek attention that bad, maybe working around children at Disney isn't the best career option for some people.
Well, if you find someone else’s appearance that much of a distraction, maybe you should reconsider how much weight you put on someone’s physical appearance. It’s really none of your concern. And contrary to your belief, a man wearing a skirt has nothing to do with wanting to seek attention.

lazyboy97o

I bet you won't care when your nurse at the hospital comes in with a full sleeve tattoo as my friend has. As long as its not a safety distraction, there is nothing wrong and the fact that Disney will still have standards for it, shows that they are willing to progress further but still have a line that one can't cross.
A nurse is not supposed to be part of a show wearing a costume. If a tattoo is fine then why not a sleeve? Why not on the face?

Disney Analyst

I don't have to stay home to disagree with self expression that becomes a distraction to others. You can do what you want, but if you seek attention that bad, maybe working around children at Disney isn't the best career option for some people.

Fashion, the clothes we wear, the way we dress ourselves, it's often dictated by norms that are passed down over time. A lot of how we feel about fashion, the way we should dress, is instilled in us from these societal norms, which does not allow many to embrace how they really want to dress or be, and that means almost all of us are leaving the house in a mask every day to try and fit what society has deemed as appropriate.

This is all often based on antiquated gender roles. And all of these norms have changed and swapped roles and gone away and come back throughout history. Men have worn "skirts" in the past, and they likely will again in the future. That's just how fashion works.

Now if you believe how another person dresses has any actual impact on anyone else's day to day life, I have a monorail to sell you.

celluloid

these things do matter in a guest service professionalism manner. How one represents themselves visually on their own time can be seen as shallow to care about, but so can a fake smile at strangers or being polite when you are tired of answering or explaining the same thing.

Last edited:

Gringrinngghost

A nurse is not supposed to be part of a show wearing a costume. If a tattoo is fine then why not a sleeve? Why not on the face?
You really wanna go there huh. As I stated, Disney has gone forward to what they believe is the best, as cultural standards have progressed since the conservative 1950s.

Let’s ask why Jason Momoa was allowed to keep his cultural tattoos for his portrayal of Aquaman when they actually embraced it and progressed forward.

Lastly, the only show in the parks at the guests when they don’t get their way. CMs aren’t there to be the organ grinder monkeys that you throw loose change at.

Think of it this way, it’s Disney’s way to make it so their CMs are the mindless robots but actually allowing them to be humanized for the next guest to scream at them when little sally or billy doesn’t make the height requirement.

Tamandua

I always hoped I'd live to see the day when Disney would hold it's CMs to the same standard as Hot Topic.
There's a lot of embracing this new change, but I think, however anyone personally feels about this, only downgrades the Disney Parks brand. I work in an office in a professional environment (in normal times anyways), and there are certain expectations about how you dress and your grooming. People don't get hired if they look like they work part time at hot topic or Spencer's. It's unprofessional. And our customers are not likely to do business with us if we are represented by people who look like they still play in a Metallica cover band on the weekends. It's about presentation and professionalism. I'm going to start thinking of Disney in the same category as Six Flags of they take from the same pool of employees.

Gringrinngghost

The problem is when your message becomes a distraction. I do not want to explain to my 8 year old on a vacation why a man is wearing a skirt. I accept expression, but this push for inclusion doesn't mean we should remove all boundaries.
If you have issues with explaining what can be a cultural tradition such as kilts, I don’t want to see you try to explain tallits.

mikejs78

Premium Member
There's a lot of embracing this new change, but I think, however anyone personally feels about this, only downgrades the Disney Parks brand. I work in an office in a professional environment (in normal times anyways), and there are certain expectations about how you dress and your grooming. People don't get hired if they look like they work part time at hot topic or Spencer's. It's unprofessional. And our customers are not likely to do business with us if we are represented by people who look like they still play in a Metallica cover band on the weekends. It's about presentation and professionalism. I'm going to start thinking of Disney in the same category as Six Flags of they take from the same pool of employees.
I work in am office setting, and the new Disney look is conservative compared with what is becoming standard in many places of work.

Times change. The definition of "professional" has changed in many places.

lazyboy97o

You really wanna go there huh. As I stated, Disney has gone forward to what they believe is the best, as cultural standards have progressed since the conservative 1950s.

Let’s ask why Jason Momoa was allowed to keep his cultural tattoos for his portrayal of Aquaman when they actually embraced it and progressed forward.

Lastly, the only show in the parks at the guests when they don’t get their way. CMs aren’t there to be the organ grinder monkeys that you throw loose change at.

Think of it this way, it’s Disney’s way to make it so their CMs are the mindless robots but actually allowing them to be humanized for the next guest to scream at them when little sally or billy doesn’t make the height requirement.
Where did I go? You didn’t answer anything, just ranted about other stuff. And if being part of the show is dehumanizing then why use a term like “CM” that only exists to reinforce that concept?

StarWarsGirl

There's a lot of embracing this new change, but I think, however anyone personally feels about this, only downgrades the Disney Parks brand. I work in an office in a professional environment (in normal times anyways), and there are certain expectations about how you dress and your grooming. People don't get hired if they look like they work part time at hot topic or Spencer's.
Genuinely curious, do people in your office not have tattoos and dyed hair and such?

My office we can wear anything besides shorts, flip flops, or sweatpants basically, a lot of people have small tattoos, and some have more than one ear piercing (including me).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom