News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

dreday3

Anyways, I thought the barges, IP in parks, lights on Spaceship Earth, removal of Magical Express, Jungle Cruise changes, Pirates changes, Splash Mountain, new hotel designs, Chapek, no night parades, no disposable shampoos, reusable bags, paper straws, festivals at Epcot...all ruined Disney already and most people were going to quit going?

Just add this to the list. ;)

dreday3

Honest question, do you think that back in the 1950's when the Disney Look was established, was done discriminate or just to maintain the "1950's" look? Since then Disney has expanded and grown to be a welcoming places for people of all races, nationalities, orientation, and gender. If it was not done to discriminate but rather a product of the period, why include"White People" comment?

Do you honestly think they had African Americans or any ethnic groups in mind when they designed "the look"?
I don't. Sorry. Again, that's just was how it was. Things have changed.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It never occurred to them that the policy didn't offer enough flexibility for a black woman's hair. It didn't occur to them that a man's long hair might be part of his native heritage. We're learning, and that's a good thing.

No - they simply had the expectation of 'this is what we want our workers to look like... do it or don't take the job'. They were thinking 'employees' -- not 'people who are here sometimes...'

AKA a much more 'you are here for a job' thinking.

Mac Tonight

Fun Fact: a guest's overall satisfaction of an attraction is directly proportional to the perceived level of self-expression of that attraction's CMs!

I feel much freer to enjoy going on Pirates of the Caribbean because I now know that the CM who pushes the button to send my boat away won't have to hide who they really are anymore!

aliceismad

I am so conflicted on this. I am 1000% for inclusion and as a gay man myself, I would be a hypocrite if I wasn’t however...

I would like cast to stay in character to where they are working. The released images don’t bother me at all and I wouldn’t have an issue with any of them but the gentlemen from haunted mansion does seem a tad far for me.

From personal experience, one of my previous employers (a retailer) was known for staff being well dressed in suits and it kind of went with the brand (even if a bit too far) but when staff morale and wages were so low, they axed any sort of uniform at all and my lord, standards across the board seemed to slip. People dressed like they just got out of bed or been out partying the night before.

I think I’ll just keep quiet on the subject because I was hounded on Twitter for showing reservations
There is a valid concern about lowering standards and disrupting theming. But Disney will still have appearance standards. CMs aren't going to be showing up in sweatpants with pink mohawks to run Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. (Although personally I wouldn't mind a pink mohawk for Space Mountain.)

el_super

Not quite. She wanted to wear her own hijab and not one designed and provided by Disney as part of her costume. She was offered a backstage role as an alternative where she could wear one of her choosing, which she also refused. She was ultimately terminated when she stopped showing up for work.

You left out that there was no "designed and provided" hijab for her onstage role at the time, and that Disney was basically forcing her from the job she was hired for, until they could create one. That hasn't been a problem since that incident.

DLR92

Good move on Disney. Your never going to get true authentic experience of an foreign area from Disney. These are amusement park employees after all. I don’t think a clean look of an employee of Disney will keep my experience good anyways. I need someone who is attentive to my needs when I need them.

denyuntilcaught

Honest question, do you think that back in the 1950's when the Disney Look was established, was done to discriminate or just to maintain the "1950's" look? Since then Disney has expanded and grown to be a welcoming places for people of all races, nationalities, orientation, and gender. If it was not done to discriminate but rather a product of the period, why include the "White People" comment?

I'll take a pass. No, I do not think that when the Disney Look was established that it was done to discriminate. At all. I do think, to your point, it was done to maintain the "1950's" look. But go deeper - that time period was all about embracing the "All-American" look, but what do you think that meant at a time where segregation was rampant and the cultural majority was calling the shots on everything, including what appearance was considered "professional."

A 1950's standard was very much based around the "All American" look which, seventy years later, clearly was rooted in a prejudiced state-of-mind. Working at Abercrombie & Fitch taught me that very well. ;)

Lilofan

You left out that there was no "designed and provided" hijab for her onstage role at the time, and that Disney was basically forcing her from the job she was hired for, until they could create one. That hasn't been a problem since that incident.
Yea the one "designed and provided hijab" is typical damage control . The Muslim CM was offered a backstage role away from the guests, she refused and that eventually cost her her job. She sued and rightly so.

Indy_UK

There is a valid concern about lowering standards and disrupting theming. But Disney will still have appearance standards. CMs aren't going to be showing up in sweatpants with pink mohawks to run Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. (Although personally I wouldn't mind a pink mohawk for Space Mountain.)

no and I agree and I’m sure that Disney will enforce the standards they have put in place.

I think in terms of ‘relaxing’ the look this is probably as far as they can go

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom