News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

TrainsOfDisney

If you are going to allow a small wrist tattoo or colored hair to affect your opinion of your WDW vacation (or of said individual) you are a person I would never want to associate with.
I’m fine with that. I’ll be at the Rose & Crown if you change your mind.
Small comfort to the tens of thousands of CM that have been sacked.

Just curious, I wonder how much TWDC paid this organization to partner with them to maintain their wokeness? I wonder how many CM jobs could have been saved with the money spent?
better to get rid of them after decades of service so Disney can be “more inclusive.”

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is the updated Look Book, which goes more in-depth on what will be allowed -

For example, here is what is said about Tattoos -

"TATTOOS

Visible tattoos are permitted, with the exception of placement on the face, head or neck. Tattoos must be no larger than the Cast Member’s hand when fully extended with the fingers held together.

Undergarments, which include matching fabric tattoo sleeves, are permitted for coverage of larger tattoos on the arms.
Tattoos that depict nudity, offensive or inappropriate language or images, or violate Company policies (including policies prohibiting discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, disability or any other protected category) are not permitted."

disneygeek90

Per the link DCBaker sent, here's some clarification on the tattoos. Are y'all gonna chill yet?

Visible tattoos are permitted, with the exception of placement on the face, head or neck. Tattoos must be no larger than the Cast Member’s hand when fully extended with the fingers held together.

Undergarments, which include matching fabric tattoo sleeves, are permitted for coverage of larger tattoos on the arms.

Tattoos that depict nudity, offensive or inappropriate language or images, or violate Company policies (including policies prohibiting discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, disability or any other protected category) are not permitted.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
This is great. It's nice to see Disney in all its forms move toward inclusivity.

I doubt they are the same pot of money. At least the companies I've worked for compartmentalize budgets and don't move them around that way.
Make sure not to complain about CEO and executive compensation next time they decide to trim the fat then. Because you know at least in the companies I've worked for they compartmentalize budgets and don't move them around that way.

StarWarsGirl

Wow that is an incredibly racist statement.
The Disney look policy was written originally in the 1950s for their employees then. Due to segregation, I doubt many of them, if any, were any race other than white.

So yes, the policy was written by white people for white people. I don't know what part of that statement is racist so much as factual.

Mouse Trap

Small comfort to the tens of thousands of CM that have been sacked.

Just curious, I wonder how much TWDC paid this organization to partner with them to maintain their wokeness? I wonder how many CM jobs could have been saved with the money spent?

Not as many as you would think. I'm willing to bet the entire partnership was less than a $1MM/yr deal based on what exists at other companies.

HarperRose

As a former CM, Disney Look is quite archaic, and written by white people for white people. This inclusive initiative is critical to move forward with equity and a step in the right direction, no to mention Disney Look has always been plus-size-phobic. I remember working in Guest Relations and seeing people rejected from transferring into the role because of their weight. Enough is enough.
This new announcement won't change that.

Chi84

Premium Member
The Disney look policy was written originally in the 1950s for their employees then. Due to segregation, I doubt many of them, if any, were any race other than white.

So yes, the policy was written by white people for white people. I don't know what part of that statement is racist so much as factual.
Some people can't (or won't) distinguish between "racial" and "racist."

Piebald

Will they allow girls to come in with dreamcatcher tattoos? those can be offensive.

In all seriousness people are probably prematurely freaking out about this. My CPA friend has a tattoo on her ankle and can now breathe easier because in her Financial Manager position she does not need to cover up the little elephant on her ankle every day with a sock or makeup. This doesnt necessarily mean Travis Barker will be your next Peter Pan, people.

Last edited:

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member

Remind me where Walt Disney segregated his parks or his company? Remind me when TWDC Imposed hiring restrictions for POC or openly discriminated against specific races or gender? Quite frankly I resent the the implication of racist motivations where there wasn't.

HarperRose

Policies had to be changed when a Muslim cast member started to wear a hijab onstage at DLR. Her managers advised her she needed to move to a backstage position away from the guests. She refused and she was fired. Now religious accommodations are happening.
I hope she sued.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom