New Camera plus Lens Rental?

Gig 'Em Mickey

Original Poster
Think I'm going to be getting a Nikon d3200 in the next few weeks hopefully. I'm familiar with the manual controls and what they do from my previous camera, but will need to get a little experience on what different lenses will do. Not a big fan of either kit lens that comes with it (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II DX AF-S ED Zoom-Nikkor and Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G DX AF-S ED Zoom-Nikkor Lens) I'd really prefer the 18-105 that they package with the higher end cameras now. Anyway, I'm thinking about getting the 18-55 kit lens, but then maybe renting a few lenses to see what I like.

I've read through a lot of threads here recommending 35mm 1.8 as a prime lens which would also be good for dark rides. Problem is with getting the new rig budget for lenses is less right now. We are also paying for a trip coming up in December. So I was looking at perhaps renting a lens or two when we go and then deciding what I'd like to get. Have any of y'all every used places like borrowlenses.com or something similar? Might rent a tripod as well.

ddbowdoin

I wouldn't bother renting low end lenses like the 35 1.8

Renting is more for the rental of high end lenses who carry large price tickets.

Gig 'Em Mickey

Original Poster
That was just an example. There are others I'd like to rent just to play with just to see which one I want.

I was more curious as to the experience of renting. Is the quality still decent, etc.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I rent lenses a few times a year. In my case it's usually high-end specialty lenses that I may only need for a short period and can't justify purchase for one or two uses.

The two companies I use regularly are lensrentals.com and thelensdepot.com. I have never had any issues with the quality or condition of any lens I've rented from either of those companies. lensrentals.com has more flexible rental intervals but I usually look at each of them to see if they have what you want, available when you want it and compare prices. lensdepot is a good fallback for me since they are located in east Orlando so I can drive over and pick it up and drop off.

PhotoDave219

I rent lenses a few times a year. In my case it's usually high-end specialty lenses that I may only need for a short period and can't justify purchase for one or two uses.

The two companies I use regularly are lensrentals.com and thelensdepot.com. I have never had any issues with the quality or condition of any lens I've rented from either of those companies. lensrentals.com has more flexible rental intervals but I usually look at each of them to see if they have what you want, available when you want it and compare prices. lensdepot is a good fallback for me since they are located in east Orlando so I can drive over and pick it up and drop off.

Theres always TheLensPal.com in Winter Garden.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom