New California Coast DVC @ WDW?

majortom1981

They were overbuilt with hotels, now they are getting overbuilt with timeshares too :brick: cause we can't forget the project being looked at next to fort wilderness too

Disney makes money on the resort. Once they sell all shares of that resort they made all their money back and then some.

Also regular non dvc members can stay at these resorts also. these resorts are a great way to save money.

Heck try to get a reservation at all during the second week of december when not making reservations a year or two in advance.

Disney stil lseells out all rooms from time to time so adding more rooms will not hurt.

lwalker8

They were overbuilt with hotels, now they are getting overbuilt with timeshares too :brick: cause we can't forget the project being looked at next to fort wilderness too

We will never see a 5th gate until the resorts are built out to their maximum. The vacation club properties are driving Disney's Resort business growth and have been for some time.

devoy1701

We will never see a 5th gate until the resorts are built out to their maximum. The vacation club properties are driving Disney's Resort business growth and have been for some time.

hopefully more people will start complaining about EMH with all of these extra rooms that will be opening or have opened. It's more of a headache than it is a perk anymore.

DisneyJoe

hopefully more people will start complaining about EMH with all of these extra rooms that will be opening or have opened. It's more of a headache than it is a perk anymore.

All they need to do is have more parks open for EMH to spread the crowds around.

I still find the morning EMH to be a great perk, most people like to sleep in.

Pioneer Hall

question is why haven't they done this yet. :brick:

Because keeping a park open is extremely expensive and they aren't going to keep multiple parks open to spread the crowds around. If they were to do anything, I could see them bringing an upcharge thing similar to E-ticket nights back at some point. Other than that, EMH is a perk and no where does it say that crowds will be lower than during the day.

devoy1701

Because keeping a park open is extremely expensive and they aren't going to keep multiple parks open to spread the crowds around. If they were to do anything, I could see them bringing an upcharge thing similar to E-ticket nights back at some point. Other than that, EMH is a perk and no where does it say that crowds will be lower than during the day.

We've beaten this EMH horse to death many times. The bottom line for me is that with BLT and Kinadi Village now open and Art of Animation, this California Coast resort, and possibly another DVC at Ft. Wilderness and GF opening in the near future, they're going to need to revisit the "perk" of EMH as guests no longer get the same benefit as they used to with this. I wouldn't be surprised if we see changes to this system in the next 2 years. With the addition of some 5,000 rooms to the on-site resorts, I think it will definitely be something that will needed to be done.

TP2000

MousePlanet had an update on this project today:

The 1,208-unit resort—which would be the largest DVC resort by over 35 percent—would be themed to various parts of California, including... Laguna Hills .[/FONT]

This whole thing just doesn't smell right. Laguna Hills?!? I live in Orange County, and I have a cousin that lives in Laguna Hills. Laguna Hills is a boring, pre-fab, middle class suburb where all homes and businesses are only allowed to be painted a half dozen shades of beige stucco. The big excitement there, aside from PTA meetings and picking up a new leased BMW, is going to Coldstone Ice Cream on a Saturday night and putting a buck in the tip jar so the kids can sing a perky song.

I humbly present Laguna Hills, in all it's beige, stucco, middle-class, SoCal glory...

499841111_a20afbf346_z.jpg

14837737.jpg
standard_c2cb5bec36e3580eeb18f54600d4e43a.jpg

Glamour! Elegance! Excitement! Stucco! Laguna Hills!

Really? They're going to theme a DVC resort to that? Something doesn't smell right with this very brief, and clearly dated with Wing Chao references, information about a new DVC property at WDW.

Maybe they have picked up a giant second hand sun, a couple of muriels, a replica of the Golden Gate bridge and a giant california sign cheap from somewhere on the west coast and thought they could build a resort around them!:lol:

SeaCastle

Two guesses.

1. Is it possible that California Coast morphed into Bay Lake Tower?

2. H1 would seem to be top middle of a grid. On Bay Lake, that might be to old Persian Hotel planned site (around the 12 o'clock spot if Bay Lake were a clock face). Would kinda be like northern California Coast.

Permits for Bay Lake Tower were filed as far back as 2006, with planning likely in 2004 and 2005, so it is unlikely one concept led to the other, judging by the date of the PDF.

I know for a fact that H-11 is the land designation for the plot that Pop Century sits on, so it's not unlikely that H-1 is a hotel site designation as well. Good catch!

MarkTwain

MousePlanet had an update on this project today:

According to the story (link), the "California Coast Resort" being designed by George , Inc. would be located near the Coronado Springs Resort and Disney's Hollywood Studios. The 1,208-unit resort—which would be the largest DVC resort by over 35 percent—would be themed to various parts of California, including Venice Beach, Casa del Mar, Montage, the Balboa Pavilion, Laguna Hills, Newport Beach, and Santa Barbara. An all-California theme has proven rocky for a theme park (Disney California Adventure); it will be interesting to see how the theme works for a resort.
The design is estimated for completion in 2012. had previously created the design for Disney's Eagle Pines Resort, which was announced in late 2001 and canceled not long afterward.

Okay... I'm starting to get worried. :( Things like the Bay Lake Tower, Beach Club Villas, or even Saratoga Springs don't bother me so much, because they were built on land that was already developed in the first place. But if Disney isn't careful, they're soon going to lose valuable expansion land for future theme parks, or just the natural wildlife that makes WDW such an immersive oasis from the outside world. Not to mention just the sheer number of the thousands of people they're adding to the 4 parks that aren't getting significantly bigger.

This whole thing just doesn't smell right. Laguna Hills?!? I live in Orange County, and I have a cousin that lives in Laguna Hills. Laguna Hills is a boring, pre-fab, middle class suburb where all homes and businesses are only allowed to be painted a half dozen shades of beige stucco. The big excitement there, aside from PTA meetings and picking up a new leased BMW, is going to Coldstone Ice Cream on a Saturday night and putting a buck in the tip jar so the kids can sing a perky song.

I humbly present Laguna Hills, in all it's beige, stucco, middle-class, SoCal glory...

Glamour! Elegance! Excitement! Stucco! Laguna Hills!

Really? They're going to theme a DVC resort to that? Something doesn't smell right with this very brief, and clearly dated with Wing Chao references, information about a new DVC property at WDW.

:lol: Interesting point. But DVC resorts in the past have often adopted more "conservative" themes, for lack of a better word. Saratoga Springs ain't exactly the Polynesian, in terms of immersion or exotic-ness. Since Disney prefers that the DVC members are responsible for the upkeep of the timeshares, they probably go with more contemporary or ordinary themes that are easy to construct and easy to maintain.

TheBeatles

Okay... I'm starting to get worried. :( Things like the Bay Lake Tower, Beach Club Villas, or even Saratoga Springs don't bother me so much, because they were built on land that was already developed in the first place. But if Disney isn't careful, they're soon going to lose valuable expansion land for future theme parks, or just the natural wildlife that makes WDW such an immersive oasis from the outside world. Not to mention just the sheer number of the thousands of people they're adding to the 4 parks that aren't getting significantly bigger.

Seeing past the wilderness has happened already in the Animal Kingdom area of property.

Will the hotel being built next to Ft Wilderness rise above the trees? It would be such a shame if that happens.

The amount of land that separates WDW from the outside is what makes this place so special. I think that will eventually be lost.

MarkTwain

Perspective on the subject from ProgressCity, one of my most trusted blogs:

http://progresscityusa.com/2010/11/09/california-here-we-come/#comments

Naturally, lots of fans are taking this as concrete evidence that this DVC resort is on the way. Someone even found another mention of the project in a brochure for Square Peg Design. There are just a few problems.

First, Wing Chao retired from WDI in 2009. Then there’s the fact that unless they’ve been hiding construction for some time, there’s no way that a new resort could be constructed by 2012. At 1,208 units, this would be by far the largest of the DVC properties – much, much larger than even Saratoga Springs. There’s no hiding a project of that magnitude.

It’s also interesting to note that ’s brochure includes the never-built Disney’s Vacation Club and Resort at Eagle Pines, and lists it with a completion date of 2008. You might remember that project was announced in 2001, only to disappear almost immediately following the terrorist attacks of that September. The land intended for that resort, adjacent to the Eagle Pines golf course, is currently the site of the millionaires-only Golden Oaks development and Four Seasons project.

Sounds like this resort was canceled along with Eagle Pines several years ago (due to DCA's failure, perhaps?), or was possibly replaced with Saratoga Springs.

Brian_WDW74

ProgressCity said:
Naturally, lots of fans are taking this as concrete evidence that this DVC resort is on the way. Someone even found another mention of the project in a brochure for Square Peg Design. There are just a few problems.

When I posted the link to the Square Peg Design document, I only said that it lent credence to the rumor. I never stated, nor do I believe, that it provides "concrete evidence" the resort will be built.

Just to set the record straight. :)

TheBeatles

"Unfortunately, this is going to be the way of things for the foreseeable future – a focus on building DVC units at the expense of everything else, especially all that untouched wilderness that Walt wanted to shield his resort from the outside world. DVC is like running a money-printing machine for Disney, so unless corporate leadership has a sudden attack of conscience regarding sustainable development and good taste, look for all that remaining empty land to slowly fill up with timeshares. I just don’t think that, for the time being, a California adventure will be in the cards."

This is exactly what I fear and foresee as happening.

MiklCraw4d

When I posted the link to the Square Peg Design document, I only said that it lent credence to the rumor. I never stated, nor do I believe, that it provides "concrete evidence" the resort will be built.

Just to set the record straight. :)

I didn't mean to imply that you did :)

I would have actually credited this forum but I had saved the document from your post and then when I wrote the story I couldn't remember where I found it hehe... Journalism at its finest!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom