New book about the land-grab for WDW in the 60s

brkgnews

Original Poster
Hey, gang. For those of you librarily-minded (yep, just made that word up -- I'm looking at you, marni1971 and jerlev), I just stumbled onto a new book about the massive undercover land purchase operation that Disney undertook to secure enough property for WDW. It's called "Project Future," and was just released a week or so ago. I haven't gotten my copy yet (it's on order), but according to info over at Progress City USA, it includes interviews with some of the key players, plus lots of other neat info. Here's a link to more info (http://ayefourpublishing.com/) and the book's on Amazon as well.

Guess I'll be adding it to the ol' library :D

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I'm not as librarily-minded (I like that word...) as some around here but this is one book that I am definitely going to get. One part of the whole WDW story that has always intrigued be is how Disney was able to get his paws on all this land.

Unfortunately the actual reading of this book is probably going to have to wait until my 6 hour flight to LAX for DL55. That is the next time I anticipate actually having spare time on my hands. :lookaroun

brkgnews

Original Poster
I'm not as librarily-minded (I like that word...) as some around here but this is one book that I am definitely going to get. One part of the whole WDW story that has always intrigued be is how Disney was able to get his paws on all this land.

Unfortunately the actual reading of this book is probably going to have to wait until my 6 hour flight to LAX for DL55. That is the next time I anticipate actually having spare time on my hands. :lookaroun
'cause hey, if there's one more thing you need, V, it's another book around the house. :lookaroun

At the rate it's going, I think I'm going to have to knock down a wall to make room for the ever-expanding BLIADEG (Brkgnews Library & Institute for Advanced Disney/Exposition Geekdom) :D

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
'cause hey, if there's one more thing you need, V, it's another book around the house. :lookaroun

At the rate it's going, I think I'm going to have to knock down a wall to make room for the ever-expanding BLIADEG (Brkgnews Library & Institute for Advanced Disney/Exposition Geekdom) :D

Yea. Plenty of books to go around in my house. I am hoping that the operational limits of my spare bedroom is at least 5,000 books. I did find 2 interesting Disney-related books though. I figure my radar must be very fine tuned if I was able to sniff out Disney books in the midst of over 4,000 uncategorized books.

MissM

I am very library-minded but sadly, my library doesn't have it. Still, I'll add it to my "books to keep track of" list and see if they don't get it one of these days.

brkgnews

Original Poster
I am very library-minded but sadly, my library doesn't have it. Still, I'll add it to my "books to keep track of" list and see if they don't get it one of these days.
It was just released very recently, so it may still be early-on for library acquisition.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks for the heads up Jackie (Male). The under cover land acquisition of WDW is one of my favorite things about Disney history. Not to mention it reminded me to order a book I have been wanting to get for the littlest Yoda and get free shipping to boot.

MissM

It was just released very recently, so it may still be early-on for library acquisition.
Yeah my library system is REALLY slow getting new books - even new releases sometimes aren't available for actual checkout for a few weeks after release - but I'll keep checking back. My book habit is too expensive to buy all my books every year! :lol:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Interesting. Thanks for the note. I`m wondering about it, but already have Floridas Disney World - Promises and Problems, written in the 70`s. About half the book (think hard back one) is about pre 1971.

brkgnews

Original Poster
Interesting. Thanks for the note. I`m wondering about it, but already have Floridas Disney World - Promises and Problems, written in the 70`s. About half the book (think hard back one) is about pre 1971.
Yep, well-familiar with that one. :D I'm hoping this one will be more narrative-based; the Promises and Problems relies on a lot of newspaper clippings (which is quite cool in its own right, I might ad).

DVC Dave

I wonder if this is the book I got from the library once. It talked all about the purchase of the land and setting up the infrastructure of Disney World. I liked the book but neglected to keep track of the ISBN number and now the library doesn't have the book, and i do not know which book to order.

Any chance you could send the ISBN number to me so I can look into borrowing it again.

Thanks

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Florids's Disney World: Promises and Problems by Leonard E Zehnder 1975
Library of Congress Catalogue Card number - no ISBN - 75-39934 :wave:

Atomicmickey

I just enjoyed reading Married to the Mouse which had a pretty exhaustive section on the land acquisition.

I'll be picking this new one up, for sure! Thanks for the heads up!

And see all you Disney Librarians over on LibraryThing!

I'm Atomicmutant over there . . . . :)

MissM

Florids's Disney World: Promises and Problems by Leonard E Zehnder 1975
Library of Congress Catalogue Card number - no ISBN - 75-39934 :wave:
Ah now that one they do have in my library catalog. Interesting! I've requested it. Thanks!

brkgnews

Original Poster
Ah now that one they do have in my library catalog. Interesting! I've requested it. Thanks!
Oh, it's fantastic! Lots of newspaper clippings and such that really help you get an idea of the excitement of what people were feeling as-it-happened. Turns out the Disney organization and some of the media at the time were tight as toast so they kept quiet; doesn't hurt that one of the big land owners was a senator at the time (Irlo W Bronson, for whom the "tourist" stretch of Hwy 192 is now named).

brkgnews

Original Poster
Have any of you all ended up reading this book yet?
It has just recently been released. From what I understand, even the review copies have not yet been received by bloggers, etc. My copy (which I ordered through Amazon and paid for; not a complimentary copy) is due to arrive in a few days. I'll report back when I get it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom