1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New Articulated Heads: Mickeys Royal Friendship Faire

Discussion in 'How do they do that?' started by BradleyF, Jul 18, 2016.

1. BradleyF

BradleyF New Member

Hi everyone! I was watching the youtube video of Mickeys Royal Friendship Faire and I noticed that the heads aren't being puppeteered like they were in "Dream Along"
    They used to be controlled by the index finger, one for the mouth and one for the eyes. But looking closer at the video I realized they are not doing this anymore.
    I did hear somewhere about a new project Disney might have been working on which used a mouth control rather that a glove control. The device went partway into the performers mouth and utilized the tongue to control the movements. I don't know if thats what they are doing now, it's just a little theory. But I did notice that some characters had kept their index finger awkwardly straight at times, making me suspect that whatever they are now using may be prerecorded movements, and the performers can override the movements if necessary.
    Sorry for the long posts I had I lot of thoughts and theories.

2. BradleyF

BradleyF New Member Original Poster

Steel City Magic likes this.
  3. Vipraa

Vipraa Well-Known Member

Its all pre- programed movements that are controlled by radio frequency. Dream Along was the last holdout with the old puppet articulated heads. Pretty much all the the newish shows (last 4 years or so) have the RF controlled heads.

Figments Friend, BradleyF and wdrive like this.
  4. BradleyF

BradleyF New Member Original Poster

Can the performers still overide in case of an an emergency? Or maybe if the head glitches are they able to operate it manually during the show?

5. Vipraa

Vipraa Well-Known Member

If the head glitches then it just shuts down and the performer goes on performing without a moving mouth until the head can restart reacquire a signal.

Figments Friend and BradleyF like this.