New Animated Star Wars Series The Bad Batch Hits Disney+ In 2021

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster

Disney+ has ordered the next Lucasfilm animated series, Star Wars: The Bad Batch, with a premiere set for 2021. The series comes on the heels of the series finale of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, which wrapped up it's seven-season run on May 4, 2020.

According to a press release, the series follows the elite and experimental clones of the Bad Batch (first introduced in The Clone Wars) as they find their way in a rapidly changing galaxy in the immediate aftermath of the Clone War. Members of the Bad Batch "each possess a singular exceptional skill which makes them extraordinarily effective soldiers and a formidable crew."

Agnes Chu, senior vice president of content for Disney+, added in the release, "While the Clone Wars may have come to its conclusion, our partnership with the groundbreaking storytellers and artists at Lucasfilm Animation is only beginning. We are thrilled to bring Dave Filoni’s vision to life through the next adventures of the Bad Batch."

Filoni, executive producer of The Mandalorian and the architect of Clone Wars, will executive produce the new series, alongside Athena Portillo (Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars: The Clone Wars), Brad Rau (Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars Resistance), and Jennifer Corbett (Star Wars Resistance, NCIS). Carrie Beck (The Mandalorian, Star Wars Rebels) will also co-executive produce, and Josh Rimes (Star Wars Resistance) will produce.

doctornick

Interesting. I'm curious how they make the characters relatively and able to be "cheered for" while they are working for the early Empire.

Robbiem

I thought the last series of the clone wars was structured as two pilots (bad bunch and the girl smugglers) and the conclusion

hope they stick to the clone wars animation style and bring back some old characters- would love to see what happens to Boba Fett or Cad Bane

drod1985

Gotta admit, this is not what I had hoped Lucasfilm animation would be working on. The only saving grace is that it is post Clone Wars, but we already have so much post Clone Wars content: Solo, Rogue One, Rebels, Fallen Order, etc...

erasure fan1

Gotta admit, this is not what I had hoped Lucasfilm animation would be working on. The only saving grace is that it is post Clone Wars, but we already have so much post Clone Wars content: Solo, Rogue One, Rebels, Fallen Order, etc...
Yea, this is not what I was hoping for as well. I have never been a huge fan of clone wars in the first place. So this was just a let down for me. I'm surprised they didn't do something in the high republic to coincide with that push. Of course maybe they are, I just figured that's the next big star wars push, so it would have made sense.

Ripken10

Interesting that they are doing the "Star Wars Day" release which is a Tuesday not your typical D+ Friday release.
I would be ok with Star Wars stuff always being released on Tuesday, with Marvel on Friday (I know that is not what is happening here, but it would sure be nice to have new content each week for each on different days...my mind might explode if they released a marvel and star wars show on the same friday and I had to choose which to watch first).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I would be ok with Star Wars stuff always being released on Tuesday, with Marvel on Friday (I know that is not what is happening here, but it would sure be nice to have new content each week for each on different days...my mind might explode if they released a marvel and star wars show on the same friday and I had to choose which to watch first).

Tuesdays are a new Star Wars episode.

Fridays are a new Marvel episode.

Mondays are a new teen musical episode.

Wednesdays are a new Pixar series episode

Thursdays are a new Disney animation episode.

Saturdays are a new Sports Sitcom episode.

Sundays are a new teen sitcom episode.

Mondays are a new behind-the-scenes Disney movie/series episode.

Thursdays are a new NatGeo episode.

Fridays are a new behind-the-scenes at a Disney park episode.

Tuesdays are a new unscripted family competition episode.

Wednesdays are the premier of a Disney/Pixar/Animation/LucasFilm/20thC/Searchlight film coming to the streaming service.

Fridays are a new live action kids' fantasy episode.

;)

NateD1226

First poster! A 70 minute premiere will air on May 4th and then the show will start weekly releases on May 7th!

1617117439889.png

Princess Leia

The first episode was gorgeous. The animation has come so far since season 1. The opening season was a bit tragic, the music is great, and I really enjoyed how these characters were expanded upon. Also, kudos to Dee Bradley Baker and his voice.

DUME!!!! Man I was not expecting Caleb Dume on this show - especially not sounding like he’s 30, but I’ll forgive that- but that was a nice surprise tie in to Rebels. I was actually telling a friend yesterday that Rebels was oddly left out of the SW fan art contest, but when the episode began, the new opening theme included Chopper, and we got Caleb!

I was a little disappointed that Crosshair becoming the villain seemed like the obvious choice, and it happened. Also, called that Omega was the fifth genetically altered clone, and calling it now that she’s force sensitive. I was however pleasantly surprised that Saw showed up. That’s a nice tie-in.

I have zero idea who the Bad Batch is visiting. Hunter would have no way of knowing that Rex’s inhibitor chip was taken out by Ahsoka, and he knows all of the Jedi are being hunted down. My personal hope is Hondo, but we’ll maybe find out Friday?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom