New! and Improved! Pirates . . .

Jack Wolfe

Is Margot Robbie a good actress? I haven't seen any of her performances, chiefly because the movies I know she's been in aren't any I care to see.

Doodlelicious

I don't know how a new Pirates movie is going to fly without Johnny Depp being involved, but Margot Robbie is a good actress. Her portrayal of Tanya Harding in I, Tanya was fantastic and she also played Sharon Tate in the movie Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood.

Screamface

I wonder if she'll be playing Anne Bonny or a character inspired by her. It's worth noting that Elizabeth was a main character in the originals. All the films have had strong female lead characters that made sense. Hopefully, this continues with that tradition. Doesn't just clone male pirates into females and have Margot Robbie beating up a pirate Jason Statham.

KeithVH

Original Poster
I wonder if she'll be playing Anne Bonny or a character inspired by her. It's worth noting that Elizabeth was a main character in the originals. All the films have had strong female lead characters that made sense. Hopefully, this continues with that tradition. Doesn't just clone male pirates into females and have Margot Robbie beating up a pirate Jason Statham.

I think that is the concern. Other responses seem to indicate she is an OK actor. Fine. But what about the story? My first read impression is there is the POTENTIAL for an SJW/feminist skewed viewpoint kind of script. Then again, they could make a fantastic movie. My problem is Hollywood doesn't really have a good track record about these things. Otherwise why would we need this AND a reboot?

Maybe they should ask Gina Davis about bucklesquasher movies?

Screamface

Other responses seem to indicate she is an OK actor. Fine. But what about the story? My first read impression is there is the POTENTIAL for an SJW/feminist skewed viewpoint kind of script. Then again, they could make a fantastic movie. My problem is Hollywood doesn't really have a good track record about these things. Otherwise why would we need this AND a reboot?

Margot is a fantastic actress and really versatile. That's not the worry.

It's probably best to just wait and see before making too many assumptions over if there'll be a SJW/Feminist skew and all the trappings that makes writers fall into to undermine their script.

I honestly don't recall if Birds of Prey fell into this all that much. I think they made comments in the press suggesting that, but it didn't really translate into the film. Which wasn't very good, so that is a worry if it's the same screenwriter.

thomas998

I smell another all female Ghostbusters. While I have no problem with a female pirate taking the lead (Cutthroat Island had potential it just didn't have that extra spark of magic to make it a really great movie)... but I can't help but think after reading the stories on this one that they aren't trying to just make a new Pirates movie that happens to have a female lead, it sound much more like they are trying to use it to make up for past slights of all women in Hollywood. So if they are going to use the project to cram as many women into as many roles both in front and behind the camera I can't see this ending well. I'm not really even sure they have the right woman for the lead. Robbie isn't the best comedic actress in the business... Frankly I would have thought they would have had a better chance if they used Rebel Wilson instead.

Screamface

a better chance if they used Rebel Wilson instead.

Oh.. wait, what?

The Pirate films are action/adventure with some comedic elements, not comedies.

Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightly weren't exactly wise cracking it through those films.

As For Rebel Wilson, I totally could see them putting her in the film. In scenes where it seems they didn't have a script and just told her to ad lib lines on a set before the scene just kind of ends. The last film was filmed in Australia, their COVID response has been good, so it'd be much easier to get a film intro production there sooner than most other parts of the world. Which would then mean lots of Australian actors.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Current discussion...

thomas998

Oh.. wait, what?

The Pirate films are action/adventure with some comedic elements, not comedies.

Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightly weren't exactly wise cracking it through those films.

As For Rebel Wilson, I totally could see them putting her in the film. In scenes where it seems they didn't have a script and just told her to ad lib lines on a set before the scene just kind of ends. The last film was filmed in Australia, their COVID response has been good, so it'd be much easier to get a film intro production there sooner than most other parts of the world. Which would then mean lots of Australian actors.
The films were really just Captain Jack movies with Orlando and Kiera popping up on occasion to be the straight man/woman. They need a comedian to carry it or at least an actress that can be funny, Margot just isn't funny enough.

Screamface

The films were really just Captain Jack movies with Orlando and Kiera popping up on occasion to be the straight man/woman. They need a comedian to carry it or at least an actress that can be funny, Margot just isn't funny enough.

Don't forget the new mains.

Strange Tides showed that you can't rely on just Jack. He is better as a character in more relatable peoples stories.

thomas998

Strange Tides showed that you can't rely on just Jack. He is better as a character in more relatable peoples stories.
If you think about the movies and which ones have done the best, the biggest driver is the story and writing. The worst ones weren't because they had this character or that more or less than another it is really a matter of how well written they were. The last one suffered from very poor writing which seemed to have created by deciding what gimmicks they wanted to have in the movie and then trying to come up with a story that managed to put them all in. Unlike some of the others the story just didn't flow very well.

If the writing isn't very good then the movie will have to fall back on the main star to overcome it. Margot couldn't overcome the crappy writing of Birds of Prey so I doubt she can do any better with a Pirates movie is already starting to look more like a woke movie first and a movie for entertainment second. The ingredient for a big bomb are all lining up, I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the Pirates movie that kills the franchise completely. Disney managed to pretty much kill their Star Wars movie plans by making bad movies.

Darkprime

Except Jack wasn't the problem of on stranger tides it was the story, and new characters they added that were terrible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom