Rumor New AK nighttime development

doctornick

it’s just pretty ridiculous that they have a giant amphitheater sitting there and no show being performed. They should have had a replacement for RoL set up for when they ended that show. While DAK also needs more rides, the easiest and quickest thing to do is to add a new nighttime show so I do hope this thread is indicative that such a thing is being planned.

brb1006

They do have a band that performs on the stage by Island Mercantile across from Flame Tree several times a day. But the Carnivale did get cut with covid I believe.
The loss of Carnivale is a major bummer since that show looked so much fun. Heck, even the addition of Panchito and Jose was actually fitting since both loved partying. Hope it might return in some form someday.

tcool123

Yeah, besides Festival of The Lion King, Feathered Friends in Flight Bird Show, and Discovery Island Carnivale (I think that show got cut a few years ago) AK is notably lacking in shows.
Viva Gaia in a sense replaced the Discovery Island Carnivale albeit there's no characters now, and the show itself has been gone for years predating the pandemic. (I'm aware Viva Gaia isn't a direct replacement as the two would run on the stage throughout the day).

Missing in your list for the larger shows was the recently reopened Finding Nemo and the reedited KiteTails. Depending on your definition of show you could include The Animation Experience at Rafiki's Planet Watch as an entertainment offering.

In terms of smaller scale shows joining Viva Gaia would be Chakranadi playing on the stage near Feathered Friends which once was home to Bollywood Beat; it does seem that Bollywood Beats was a victim of the pandemic. By the Harambe Market Kora Tinga Tinga returned last year to perform, and on the Old Harambe Stage the Tam Tam Drummers and the Village Acrobats are present once more.

If you want to stretch the show definition even more you do have the character flotillas alongside the Discovery Island Drummers flotilla which reused the drummers from the Pandora show.

With that said a few more smaller shows would definitely help the park, and it could be beneficial to have some in Dinoland and Pandora to help in spreading out crowds.

Touchdown

it’s just pretty ridiculous that they have a giant amphitheater sitting there and no show being performed. They should have had a replacement for RoL set up for when they ended that show. While DAK also needs more rides, the easiest and quickest thing to do is to add a new nighttime show so I do hope this thread is indicative that such a thing is being planned.
They have two giant amphitheaters sitting empty, plus one indoor theatre.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
We Are One (over and over and over and over and over and over and over)

Sorry, glad they tried to do something with Rivers of Light, but I was not impressed.
Given the jungle theming, I was thinking The End... but We Are One works, too.
Caution: 18+ and NSFW

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
and do we think we'll get any replacements/announcements for any of these at D23 ??
I think people put waaaayyyy too much hope in D23 'announcements.'

And waaayyyy too much stock in that any insiders can tell us what will be announced when Disney themselves pull announcements out of the script at the last minute (TRON Racers) or even kill a project within months of announcement (Main Street Theater).

There's even less hope for announcements of anything new in the current state of affairs.

RSoxNo1

ROL just needed a more fitting finale. While I know fireworks are a no, you know what else works well and doesn’t make much noise? Flamethrowers. The ones in ROL were far too small, they litterally needed more firepower. This is a company who has another show on water that has a >100ft flamethrower, it should have been replicated in the AK show. Here’s hoping they recognize it the next time they do a show.
A quality nighttime show has peaks and valleys, both of which have their benefits. Rivers of Light was all valleys. It was peaceful and serene but it had no wow factor.

Brenthodge

While those kites were a dud and a half (don't @ me), their PUPPETS they made for it were amazing. The Oakland Zoo has this BEAUTIFUL lantern display every year. I am sure with a little adjustments, Disney could make lantern-puppet thingies. The lanterns at Oakland Zoo even have some limited movements.

An idea like that was clearly the inspiration behind ROL lanterns, but then the small ones got cut and the giant ones were so minimized in their use that they barely justified their cost.

The Empress Lilly

While those kites were a dud and a half (don't @ me), their PUPPETS they made for it were amazing. The Oakland Zoo has this BEAUTIFUL lantern display every year. I am sure with a little adjustments, Disney could make lantern-puppet thingies. The lanterns at Oakland Zoo even have some limited movements.

I love this!

Many zoos now have this, Chinese lantern installations. It's brilliant and a great reminder of what can be achieved with lights, even with relatively modest effort.

20211216_202220.jpg

These shows are produced by Sichuan Tianyu Culture Communication.

Brenthodge

I love this!

Many zoos now have this, Chinese lantern installations. It's brilliant and a great reminder of what can be achieved with lights, even with relatively modest effort.

View attachment 655771

These shows are produced by Sichuan Tianyu Culture Communication.
Leave it to Disney to find a way to make it cost 10x more and be half as impressive.

Andrew25

If they can't use fireworks as a "wow" factor, then they need drones or copy & paste the World of Color platform. If they don't want to do either of those for a show here, borrow a bulldozer from Epcot and tear down the amphitheater.

tnemgif

If they can't use fireworks as a "wow" factor, then they need drones or copy & paste the World of Color platform. If they don't want to do either of those for a show here, borrow a bulldozer from Epcot and tear down the amphitheater.
I think the original plan was to have hundreds of little lantern boats that would behave like drones on the water, right? This would have been the wow factor, but it never worked.

Brenthodge

I think the original plan was to have hundreds of little lantern boats that would behave like drones on the water, right? This would have been the wow factor, but it never worked.
Yes-that was originally the plan. I don’t know why people are so hung up on drones. I’m not that blown away, and they are becoming a “go to gimmick”. Personally I feel like what they had -plus maybe a low level pyro burst like they used for the Jungle Book show) to punctuate the end, and the mini lanterns that they gave up on -was all they needed. The show was just terribly paced, played all its tricks too soon and nothing to build with. I think THATS why the finale was so weak. It wasn’t a “BANG” to begin with, and when they had pretty much shown it all to you already, there wasn’t much to add.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom