NEVER fly Delta.

PyxiiDustt

Original Poster
We had booked Delta to fly out of Atlantic City, New Jersey into Orlando tomorrow morning at eight o'clock (it's December 26) and they call eleven hours before our flight to say that our flight is canceled because a bird flew into the engine. They cancel our flight at nine o'clock at night the night before. Meanwhile our hotel in Disney is booked and paid for and we were scrambling making Delta rebook us.

We were supposed to get to WDW tomorrow around 10:30 am-ish, our flight now isn't until 3:45 tomorrow afternoon from Newark, NJ and we aren't getting to Disney until tomorrow night at 9:00, because we have a layover in Atlanta, Georgia (which is only 45 minutes so we'll be lucky if we make that!!).

And this isn't even the worst of it. This is the third time Delta has changed our flights on this same trip. It's been insane! First we had to fly from AC to Cincinatti, OH to Orlando. Then they changed our flight from AC to OH so we weren't getting to Cincinatti until after our connection from there to Orlando already left so we had to change that! Then they cancel our flight home that we had to rebook. Now this!

This is the most rediculous experience I've ever had with an airline and all I have to say is no wonder Delta is going bankrupt if this is the service they've been offering to their customers.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Maybe its just me, but if I was making an important trip, I am not sure I would be flying an airline that was in financial trouble to begin with...

***shrugs***

PyxiiDustt

Original Poster
I understand that, but everything was so expensive and we didn't realize it was going to be that bad. It's not that it's really an important trip either, just a family trip to Disney World, but it's with family we hardly ever see. Besides it already cost us an arm and a leg to get these tickets..

dxwwf3

I can get a flight for our family in June from Charlotte, NC (About a 2 hour drive from home) to John Wayne Airport (closest airport to Disneyland) for about $225 from Delta. The next cheapest I can find is about $450 a person. I think we will take our chances with Delta :)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Delta Song flights are great. Best flight ever to Lax from Tampa, 6 fantastic hours of flying.
shame Song doesn't exist anymore and has been absorbed into the Delta mainline. Those widebody planes are more profitable being used for DL's ever expanding international routes than for domestic routes.

mkt

Premium Member
as for Delta overall... I wouldn't fly them if they were the only option. If I had to drive to Tampa to get on a different airline, I'd do it.

Same for United. I hate them too.. lol. Just Delta slightly more.

AA and Continental all the way (and Jetblue for discounters!)

haveyoumetmark

shame Song doesn't exist anymore and has been absorbed into the Delta mainline. Those widebody planes are more profitable being used for DL's ever expanding international routes than for domestic routes.

Song doesn't exist anymore? That's news to me.
I usually fly Song or Ted United if I'm flying domestic.
It depends when it's international.
I've been hearing only good things about jetBlue lately.

Continental overbooked the last flight i had with them and our party of nine got split up, we ended up staying at the airport for 7 hours and all we got was a breakfast voucher because it was early in the morning. They were supposed to send a check or travel voucher, but they never did.

mkt

Premium Member
Song doesn't exist anymore? That's news to me.
I usually fly Song or Ted United if I'm flying domestic.
It depends when it's international.
I've been hearing only good things about jetBlue lately.

Continental overbooked the last flight i had with them and our party of nine got split up, we ended up staying at the airport for 7 hours and all we got was a breakfast voucher because it was early in the morning. They were supposed to send a check or travel voucher, but they never did.
http://www.flysong.com/

Song's last flight was April 30 from LAS-MCO, and it was integrated into Delta's mainline fleet on May 1. Song no longer exists :) All that remains are some planes that need to be repainted. However, a first class cabin was installed in all of the song planes, and aside from the pretty Song interiors, it's all pretty standard DL fare inside.

As for Ted. United stinks... I won't even give Ted a chance given my hatred for UA. US Airways is slightly better, but not much. I'm a Gold member with them, but I doubt I'll make it another year with them. AA gets most of my business now, with CO falling to second place.

As for Continental overbooking, that is standard practice in all airlines and hotels, since a certain percentage is expected to cancel/no show close the the date. I myself have cancelled 3 flights this year on the day I was supposed to depart.

haveyoumetmark

http://www.flysong.com/

Song's last flight was April 30 from LAS-MCO, and it was integrated into Delta's mainline fleet on May 1. Song no longer exists :) All that remains are some planes that need to be repainted. However, a first class cabin was installed in all of the song planes, and aside from the pretty Song interiors, it's all pretty standard DL fare inside.

As for Ted. United stinks... I won't even give Ted a chance given my hatred for UA. US Airways is slightly better, but not much. I'm a Gold member with them, but I doubt I'll make it another year with them. AA gets most of my business now, with CO falling to second place.

As for Continental overbooking, that is standard practice in all airlines and hotels, since a certain percentage is expected to cancel/no show close the the date. I myself have cancelled 3 flights this year on the day I was supposed to depart.

I know that overbooking is standard practice, it irks me. :)

It's a shame that Delta is slowly phasing out the Song flights.

Legacy

I love Delta, never had an issue with them (and I've flown A LOT in the last four years).

The only airline that's given me issues (which were very similar to the OP, only with St Paul being the destination) was Continental.

mkt

Premium Member
I know that overbooking is standard practice, it irks me. :)

It's a shame that Delta is slowly phasing out the Song flights.
From a business perspective, overbooking is a good idea. In my hotels we typicall overbook by 10+ rooms/nt when we can, and I can't think of a time in 2006 where we A- everyone showed up, and B- we had to relocate someone.

Also, this isn't slowly phasing out. It was phased out more than 7 months ago. You may fly on a white and green or a white and pink 757, but the titles will say 'Delta' not 'Song', and there will be a first class.

pic #1 is of one of the planes in the transition livery
pic #2 is of the same plane in Mexico city, a destination NEVER served by Song, but one served by Delta
pic #3 is of a Song plane in Oct 2004:
pic #4 is of that same plane in Nov 2006:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 40

haveyoumetmark

Looks like they won't let you hotlink the photos.

Oh well, I get the point.
Yea, I flew on a green and white 757 last June and they called it a Delta/Song Flight, so my original thought was that Delta was keeping the Song airline as a branch of Delta as Ted is with United. Now, I know they're not.

tink rules

Go Southwest...

It's like People's Express only with cookies...

"There will be a slight delay while we tie the luggage to the roof of the plane"

mkt

Premium Member
Go Southwest...

It's like People's Express only with cookies...

"There will be a slight delay while we tie the luggage to the roof of the plane"
lol.. good ole Southwest. Until they get an elite tier in their FFP, I won't fly them too often.

Aside from that, I have no major problems with them.

haveyoumetmark

From a business perspective, overbooking is a good idea. In my hotels we typicall overbook by 10+ rooms/nt when we can, and I can't think of a time in 2006 where we A- everyone showed up, and B- we had to relocate someone.

Also, this isn't slowly phasing out. It was phased out more than 7 months ago. You may fly on a white and green or a white and pink 757, but the titles will say 'Delta' not 'Song', and there will be a first class.

pic #1 is of one of the planes in the transition livery
pic #2 is of the same plane in Mexico city, a destination NEVER served by Song, but one served by Delta
pic #3 is of a Song plane in Oct 2004:
pic #4 is of that same plane in Nov 2006:

Thanks for taking the time to clear that up! :wave:

maelstrom

When we flew on Delta in the early 1990's, I thought it was a good airline (I was just a kid, so maybe it wasn't and I just didn't know). I was in their program for little kids and I had a wings pin and such. We flew SWF-ATL-MCO in those days, but now Delta doesn't fly out of SWF anymore. We were using Southeast until they died randomly one day and everyone found out when they showed up to the airport in the morning (their planes are still sitting at Sanford), then we used Allegiant but now they're leaving SWF because we got JetBlue and AirTran. *sigh* We have no reason to ever fly Delta again, but it's really bad to hear all the negative things about them. And it's not only on every Disney message board, but on airline industry message boards as well. If we ever have to fly somewhere that SWF doesn't serve (like LAX or PHX [SWF has American to Chicago but it's a lot of money]), we'd fly Continental out of Newark.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom