Netflix - The Defenders (Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist)

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
upload_2017-1-12_12-51-1.png

Meet the villain

000247048.jpg

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/12/defenders-first-look-sigourney-weaver/

Last edited:

Phroobar

Sigourney's character is 'Alexandra'- any idea who that is in the comic world?
They might be doing a gender swap here and introducing Alexandra Bont. (He) was the first Kingpin of Hell's Kitchen. A ruthless crime lord, he gained a formidable reputation after he killed the costumed superhero known as the Defender, and held Hell's Kitchen under his influence for decades. In fact, Bont was the one who ordered the death of Daredevil's father after Jake Murdock refused to throw a boxing match.

Bont was actually one of the first villains put behind bars by Daredevil, and — upon learning that Matt Murdock may well be Daredevil — he launched a campaign of revenge. This involved blackmailing the ex-criminal Gladiator into launching an attack on Daredevil, after which Bont took matters into his own hands. Drugged up on Mutant Growth Hormone, Bont savagely beat Daredevil; he was only defeated when his heart gave out under the drug's strain.

Princess Leia

Watching the first season of Daredevil for the first time since it came out, and I forgot how good this show was. :)

I really wish that Netflix didn't space these shows so far apart though. Originally, I was okay with each one coming out once a year, but there will be over a year between Jessica Jones seasons 1 & 2, Daredevil 2 & 3, and Luke Cage 1 & 2 (and probably Iron Fist 1 & 2). Jessica and Luke are married with a daughter in the comics, so I'm curious to see if one or both of the shows develop that storyline, and if Krystin Ritter and Mike Coulter join the other's shows as full time cast members.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I love these Marvel Netflix series. Thus, I can say that their promo photos deserve a much better photoshop job that clips them all into the same setting without giving one sweet darn about the light source and shadows. C'mon. This is supposed to be a professional operation!

Princess Leia

Iron Fist is really tanking in the review department. :confused:
http://variety.com/2017/tv/reviews/marvels-iron-fist-netflix-review-finn-jones-1202004027/
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/marvels-iron-fist-review-984200
http://bgr.com/2017/03/09/iron-fist-review-roundup-netflix-marvel/

These are just based on the first 6 episodes, but this isn't exactly a great start (it's currently at 14% on Rotten Tomatoes- which is a worse score than Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad :jawdrop:- I know it's not fair to compare movies to shows, but still)

Something that the reviews have mentioned is that there is a serious case of plotting issues. I've been re-watching the other Defenders shows to ready myself for Iron Fist, and that's an issue all of the shows have. Daredevil's Season 1 could have been 11 or 12 episodes, and Jessica Jones would have been fine at 10 or 11. I'm a few episodes into Daredevil S2, and 1, I forgot how dark this season was, and 2, it also was too long. All of them would probably be fine at 10 episodes. I'm actually pretty relieved that The Defenders will only have 8 episodes.

But then Punisher will be stuck in the 13 episode format. :banghead: Learn from your mistakes, Marvel/Netflix.

I know that this is only according to Wikipedia, but the main cast of The Defenders is as follows:
Charlie C.ox (Matt Murdock)- edit- Charlie's last name was asterisked out???
Krysten Ritter (Jessica Jones)
Mike Colter (Luke Cage)
Finn Jones (Danny Rand)
Elodie Yung (Elektra Natchios)

All of the other cast members (including Sigourney Weaver) are listed as 'guests'.

willtravel

For me, I am getting tired of the Marvel franchise. Tv series and movies. And I really enjoyed when they came out in theatres. They are starting to be the same just different characters. Too much CGI, shooting, fighting. And for me lack of plot. We started to watch Luke Cage and after show 5 just stopped. Still watching Marvel agents of Shield but even that shows plot is like it is reaching to see what sticks.

Princess Leia

For me, I am getting tired of the Marvel franchise. Tv series and movies. And I really enjoyed when they came out in theatres. They are starting to be the same just different characters. Too much CGI, shooting, fighting. And for me lack of plot. We started to watch Luke Cage and after show 5 just stopped. Still watching Marvel agents of Shield but even that shows plot is like it is reaching to see what sticks.
I stopped watching AoS before the winter finale. I just didn't have enough time to watch it, and fell behind. It's not like it was bad (it's actually underrated, IMO), but I didn't feel like catching up. Maybe I will over the summer.

I thought the first half of Luke Cage was so much better than the second half, so I'm sorry you quit when it was good. Marvel unfortunately is creating very similar products, when they don't have to be at all. I would have been very interested to see Edgar Wright's Ant-Man. The movie that ended up in theaters was good, but I think that Wright would have had a very interesting (and fun) story to tell with it.

I think that the Marvel TV division was doing a great job casting people of color in roles that were originally white characters (or in AoS's case, creating roles for POC), though
killing both Ben Urich and Oscar Clemons was offputting, to say the least
, so their refusal to cast an Asian man as Danny Rand felt like a misstep. It's almost like they're saying "we're open to flipping characters genders and making more characters minorities, but not if they're a main character".

Honestly, the 2 things that I'm looking forward to most about Iron Fist now are Claire Temple and Jeri Hogarth.

Princess Leia

Alright, since I'm almost done with Iron Fist (started Episode 13 last night), I thought I would share some feelings and thoughts. I'll try to refrain from spoilers.
  • I can definitely put this below Daredevil Season 2 for Worst Marvel Netflix Season. DD at least had Punisher, a decent supporting cast, and a charismatic lead (even Elektra was fun until Season 2 ran off the rails with her). Iron Fist has.... Claire Temple, Colleen Wing, and a kind of campy villain for a small part of the show. Oh, and Jeri Hogarth. Finn Jones, while a decent Loras in Game of Thrones, does not make a compelling lead character. Idk if it's him or the script. Danny, unfortunately, does not come off as a sympathetic character for much of the show. He doesn't have a great supporting cast (more on that in a bit). The show chooses not to show the more interesting parts of the backstory (fighting a dragon to become the Iron Fist as a major example), and it drags. While DD, JJ, and LC all could have been at least 2 episodes shorter, IF only needed 8-10 episodes. And I'm being generous with the 10 there.
  • Colleen is probably one of the best parts of the show, but she unfortunately gets a dumb Elektra plot for part of the season. That's all I'm going to say on that front. Unnecessary on all fronts.
  • In terms of villains... I'm trying to decide what was worse- DDS2 Hand, LC Diamondback, or IF Hand & Harold Meachum. I think a common theme here is to stop making The Hand a major part of a show. Or at least do it correctly. I think Meachum could have been a lot better. There were shades of a great performance, but then the script got messy. At least there were some pretty decent twists with Meachum; the Hand, however... :depressed:
  • Joy & Ward Meachum- both became better characters over the course of the season. At first, they seemed pretty one-dimensional, but as of the beginning of Episode 13, they're 3-dimensional (finally). edit (because I finished the show)
    Ward had a decent arc by the end of this mess. Joy, however...???????? I don't understand any of that business with Davos. Nope.
I'm basically finishing this show so I can have some kind of idea about what Danny, Colleen, and whoever else shows up in Defenders (including Jeri and Claire) dealt with before the mini-series. I'm sure IF will get a Season 2, but there's a part of me that wishes they would just put him in LC. Danny dates Misty Knight in the comics, so it wouldn't feel like a total overreach to just put them together in the same show (I'm curious to see where the show goes with Jessica Jones/Luke Cage/Claire Temple for the same reason).

All in all, this is a season of television that I won't be watching again. I don't think it's as bad as what critics were saying, but it's not great TV either. edit- That final episode... was really not good. So, while I'm sure Netflix will order a second season, it's going to take a lot to fix this show.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Outside of the kind of wooden dialogue between Danny and Luke, and the iffy Nirvana cover (I've been listening to practically nothing but Nevermind for the past 2 weeks, so the cover sounded jarring), the trailer looks great! Here's hoping it's better than Iron Fist.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster

Outside of the kind of wooden dialogue between Danny and Luke, and the iffy Nirvana cover (I've been listening to practically nothing but Nevermind for the past 2 weeks, so the cover sounded jarring), the trailer looks great! Here's hoping it's better than Iron Fist.

I'm just here for Jessica.

Princess Leia

I'm just here for Jessica.
Ditto.
It's a bit of a slow day at the office, so I tallied up the screen/voice time in the trailer for the 4 Defenders (didn't feel like including Elektra, Misty, Claire, Stick, or Sigourney Weaver- who looks like she's now in charge of the Hand?)

Jessica Jones- 49 Seconds
Iron Fist- 40 Seconds (this surprised me)
Luke Cage- 32 Seconds
Daredevil- 31 Seconds

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
I believe this is going to be the one that we've been waiting for on Netflix. Why? Because of the history and also the way they have set things up. I still need to watch Iron Fist though.

Princess Leia

I believe this is going to be the one that we've been waiting for on Netflix. Why? Because of the history and also the way they have set things up. I still need to watch Iron Fist though.
Well... Iron Fist is not great, lol. I felt like there was a lot of wasted potential. At least from the first trailer, I'm not sure if it's necessary to watch it? Unlike the others, I don't think that IF is one you'd have to watch before the Defenders. I think that Colleen and Claire are the only characters from the show to cross over.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Well... Iron Fist is not great, lol. I felt like there was a lot of wasted potential. At least from the first trailer, I'm not sure if it's necessary to watch it? Unlike the others, I don't think that IF is one you'd have to watch before the Defenders. I think that Colleen and Claire are the only characters from the show to cross over.
I'm a fan of Heroes for Hire so I have to see it. Also, there are parts of IF that are intricate to the overall story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom