Netflix and Disney to do several Marvel live action series.

Gomer

Smart move by Disney and Netflix. This is a perfect way to continue to feed second tier Marvel charachters to those who want them without over exposing the superhero genre more than it already is through the blockbusters. Netflix will allow the shows to be serialized and "comic booky" outside the restrictions of Network TV or wide release films.

For netflix, you will have an army of geeks committing to subscriptions to see these.

As long as the costs are low (which these specific properties allow) I don't see how this fails for either company barring a massive backlash due to superhero overexposure in the next couple years. But as long as the content remains fresh (which Marvel has done mostly well so far) I don't see that happening until at least Avengers 3.

lazyboy97o

As long as the costs are low (which these specific properties allow) I don't see how this fails for either company barring a massive backlash due to superhero overexposure in the next couple years. But as long as the content remains fresh (which Marvel has done mostly well so far) I don't see that happening until at least Avengers 3.
I've said this a few times before, but I think this summer will be a big test of potential over exposure. While not all Marvel Studios productions, four Marvel films in about five months is a lot.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Original Poster
The "Iron Fist" project has me most intrigued. There were plans for this to be a feature film a number of years ago with Ray Park in the starring role. I really hope that he is under consideration for the Netflix version.

Gomer

I've said this a few times before, but I think this summer will be a big test of potential over exposure. While not all Marvel Studios productions, four Marvel films in about five months is a lot.
Next summer is a good test. 4 Superhero movies, but all with very different feels.

Captain America is a spy thriller/action movie.
Spiderman 2 is a traditional solo superhero movie
X-men- looks to be a darker team up movie
GotG-is more of a sci-fi movie

It remains to be seen if the general public will make the distinction between the feels, or see them all as "comic book movies".

Comic fans (like myself) will flock regardless but won't be enough on their own. I could see comic fatigue causing problems as the summer moves on. If its really bad, the big risks will be Avengers 2 and Batman vs. Superman in 2015. Those will cost significantly more and could come at a time when the public tires of the genre. I hope not, because I love what Marvel is attempting over the next 5-6 years. It is truly groundbreaking, and i hope the movie going audience bears with them enough to let them finish through at least Avengers 3.

As for the netflix shows, I think the comic geeks will be enough to make those worthwhile, so I think they are most likely an easy win.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom