Nervously thinking about offsite....

DreamalittleDisney

Heya

Been twice stayed on site both times AKL (when I was a child ) and CBR last year as a parent

Want to return next year with hubby and 5yo so expensive with flights from UK and hubby isn't a DW fanatic and we want to try Universal as well so thinking about rent ong am offsite villa but nervous about

Travel times how long does it really take to park up and get in to the parks ?

Will i still get value our of the parks

Do people still do full days as won't be able to break if on site ?

Obviously the benefits right now are cost !

Any views or experiences of people who have tried both would be fab ...

Minnie Mum

It doesn't have to be a problem. Much depends on the location of your offsite rental. Don't forget that many people who stay on property still prefer to drive to the parks. There are lots of good places to stay that are no more than a 10-15 minute drive away from the Disney parks. And Universal isn't that long a drive either, if your hotel or condo is between the 2 parks.

We've only stayed offsite a couple of times. Since we're rope drop people, we aim to arrive at the parking lot about an hour ahead of time. As for afternoon breaks, it depends on the time of year. During winter months, we tend to stay all day, since the heat generally isn't a factor and the parks close relatively early. But once the heat and humidity kick in, we ALWAYS take an afternoon break from the WDW parks. But since the parks are open later in the evening, that's actually a good thing, since that break recharges our batteries and gives us the energy to really enjoy the evening shows, etc. Again, the drive there and back doesn't have to be longer than waiting for and riding a bus back to a Disney resort.

Upvote 0

contrariwise

We have stayed onsite and off. We have always had a car. Honestly, we didn't find too much of a difference in staying on or off. The first time we stayed offsite, I was SO worried it was going to be different and "less than" and disappointing. It was not. Offsite accommodations tend to not be themed like Disney resorts, but they make up for it in the additional space and lowered cost. I'm guessing at this, but I feel like it's been at least 3 times more space for less money. Once you have that extra space, it's hard to go back to smaller, more expensive accommodations. And of course you can always visit (shop and dine) at the Disney resorts. We love visiting AKL and Beach Club in particular.

Our schedule was honestly not different whether we stayed on or offsite. We have always taken a midday break without any trouble. I will say that we stayed very close to Disney World, probably within 10 minutes of MK. And the drive doesn't even feel like 10 minutes. One thing to note is that when we have stayed onsite, there has been quite a trek from room to car (or bus stop for that matter). At AKL, the trek seemed endless. When we have rented a condo/villa/townhome, we have parked right outside our door (like, literally, 10 steps from the front door). So factor that into the time it takes from room to park.

I will say that when we stayed close to WDW, the commute to Universal probably would have been too much to consider taking a mid day break. But I don't think there's a nighttime show or whatever at Universal, so maybe you could just do a longer day there, and then take an afternoon break and eat at a Disney resort or offsite for dinner.

Upvote 0

RMichael21

I'd recommend the Mariott World Center if you choose not to do the villa. It's actually just across the highway from WDW (about a 5 minute drive onto WDW property) and depending on the park could take twenty minutes at the fastest to get to a park (depending on which one, of course).

You definitely still get value. The only things you really miss out on is the 60 day FP window and EMH. Personally, I find EMH too crowded so haven't gone to them recently. And, if you choose to go to a park on a day where there aren't any EMH, you'll be getting the same value time-wise as onsite guests. When it comes to FP, I find that pretty much only Frozen is gone nowadays with SDMT only having slots later in the day. Both of these you can easily rope drop. Everything else is very easy to get in my experience at 30 days.

We still do full days (open to close) but with a younger child that may be harder. Therefore, I'd recommend either staying as close to WDW as possible and/or taking your time through the parks with frequent bathroom breaks and snack breaks in the shade (and drink plenty of water). Try not to rush through everything in as little time as possible, as that'll just wear you out, making a trip back to the hotel/villa more likely.

For Universal, with a younger child you can easily get each park done in one day, so you shouldn't have to worry about too long of a day. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
The last couple of trips we've stayed in a condo in Emerald Isle and found it just as fast or even faster to get to any park as from a Disney resort. The exception is getting to MK and that would only be from a monorail resort. right now traveling with kids it's the only way we'd do over 3 or 4 days. Full kitchen, 3 bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths for less than:joyfull: a value.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
Stay in a nice hotel so you are thrilled when you get back from the parks and you'll be fine.

The transportation differences are often a wash... trade standing in line for a bus for sitting in traffic..

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom