'Finding Nemo: The Big Blue… and Beyond!'

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Agreed - to me, Aladdin was Broadway and FotLK is theater-in-the-round meets Cirque de Soleil - but both were/are magical and fulfilling live theatrical experiences. The best of both coasts IMO.
I personally think the Aladdin show at Disneyland is better than the Broadway show... Mostly because the story doesn't need the extra hour and a half to drag it out on Broadway. It's fantastic.

TrainsOfDisney

Benches or theatre seats... Uncomfortable seating is uncomfortable seating.
I don’t agree. While I’ve had seats with small amounts of leg room, I’ve never been that uncomfortable in a broadway theatre. Your mileage may vary of course. I might also be more sensitive to hard bench seats than others.

Either way... I feel like the Hyperion is much closer to a broadway experience because of the theatre itself.

WondersOfLife

I don’t agree. While I’ve had seats with small amounts of leg room, I’ve never been that uncomfortable in a broadway theatre. Your mileage may vary of course. I might also be more sensitive to hard bench seats than others.

Either way... I feel like the Hyperion is much closer to a broadway experience because of the theatre itself.
Oh I don’t disagree Hyperion is a superior theatre. But I have Been in quite a few uncomfortable Broadway spaces. Nemo is up there, but not UUPPPP there. I appreciate the leg room that give.

Also, for a theme park, it makes more sense to do benches (pre COVID) so they could pack people in.

Sir_Cliff

I personally think the Aladdin show at Disneyland is better than the Broadway show... Mostly because the story doesn't need the extra hour and a half to drag it out on Broadway. It's fantastic.
I have to be honest and say that I usually don't like the live shows at the parks. Don't get the love either for this or for FotLK, but we all like different things.

That said, Aladdin at the Hyperion was fantastic and one of the few I wanted to go back to a second time. Also liked Hunchback at MGM back in the day.

Last edited:

MarvelCharacterNerd

I haven't seen the Broadway or touring version as I honestly felt the Hyperion version was fantastic and perfect (though I'm sure they'd've liked the Broadway budget!). I watched Aladdin there repeatedly and was never disappointed, though I preferred some performances to others. I said when the show ran and I still believe that that show was worth the price of admission to DCA (or at least worth the splurge to parkhopper!) - and anything else you got to do during the day there was bonus. It was a QUALITY show.

Ironically, I would guess that the Frozen show there had a bigger budget, but felt like a far lesser experience IMO. I was a fan of some of the performers but the show itself never caught my heart - and I'm saying that as a fan of the film, the soundtrack and who repeatedly visits the sing-along at DHS on a day at that park. I loved the sing-along at DCA, too. They both have/had a warmth and relatable quality that the Hyperion show IMO lacked. Though Aladdin had warmth in abundance. ♥️

TrainsOfDisney

I haven't seen the Broadway or touring version as I honestly felt the Hyperion version was fantastic and perfect (though I'm sure they'd've liked the Broadway budget!). I watched Aladdin there repeatedly and was never disappointed, though I preferred some performances to others. I said when the show ran and I still believe that that show was worth the price of admission to DCA (or at least worth the splurge to parkhopper!) - and anything else you got to do during the day there was bonus. It was a QUALITY show.

Ironically, I would guess that the Frozen show there had a bigger budget, but felt like a far lesser experience IMO. I was a fan of some of the performers but the show itself never caught my heart - and I'm saying that as a fan of the film, the soundtrack and who repeatedly visits the sing-along at DHS on a day at that park. I loved the sing-along at DCA, too. They both have/had a warmth and relatable quality that the Hyperion show IMO lacked. Though Aladdin had warmth in abundance. ♥️
I saw Aladdin on Broadway and in Chicago and I think the DCA version was better as well.

I’m not a huge fan of Frozen in general but I do really like Frozen at the Hyperion as well. I thought the staging was just about perfect with the turntable.

WondersOfLife

I saw Aladdin on Broadway and in Chicago and I think the DCA version was better as well.

I’m not a huge fan of Frozen in general but I do really like Frozen at the Hyperion as well. I thought the staging was just about perfect with the turntable.
I've seen both versions of Frozen as well... On Broadway and at DCA....... Again, the theme park version is better... And, again... Because they don't have to drag it out to a full length Broadway show.

UNCgolf

I like Fotlk but it doesn’t feel anything like a broadway show to me the way the Hyperion shows do.

Nemo was well done, it wasn’t as repeatable for me as fotlk but a very impressive show and if you got the right cast it was amazing. I felt like it was about 15 minutes too long still... it needed to have a few more cuts but maybe that’s the uncomfortable bench seats talking.

I don't think FotLK is remotely similar to a Broadway show either.

I also personally don't like it -- I understand why people enjoy it, but acrobatics have never been interesting to me. That plus audience participation feels like the majority of the show, even if it actually isn't. I've seen it once and never had any interest in going back.

Last edited:

seabreezept813

We saw a Broadway show when I was 8.5 months pregnant.. took me until then to realize how little leg room there was.. wouldn’t do that again!

JoeCamel

Oh I don’t disagree Hyperion is a superior theatre. But I have Been in quite a few uncomfortable Broadway spaces. Nemo is up there, but not UUPPPP there. I appreciate the leg room that give.

Also, for a theme park, it makes more sense to do benches (pre COVID) so they could pack people in.
If Nemo had backs on the benches it would be a different world. The bleachers at top have them but the view is impaired.

Tampa has an old theatre (Tampa Theatre amazingly named) that had old style seats up until a few years ago. I am 6' and not exceptionally long legged but my back was wedged against the back of the chair and my knees were firmly against the seat in front. Torture to hear Snap Judgement live and they changed the seats after that performance. Just my luck.

WondersOfLife

If Nemo had backs on the benches it would be a different world. The bleachers at top have them but the view is impaired.

Tampa has an old theatre (Tampa Theatre amazingly named) that had old style seats up until a few years ago. I am 6' and not exceptionally long legged but my back was wedged against the back of the chair and my knees were firmly against the seat in front. Torture to hear Snap Judgement live and they changed the seats after that performance. Just my luck.

Nemo does have backs. They’re still uncomfortable.

They are uncomfortable because of the skinny 1x1 wood pieces pinching you butt and back.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wonder if the Internet would have a picture so we can end this debate....

1607958646533.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom