Needing suggestions for reducing motion sickness on rides

mbroschak

What do you recommend to reduce motion sickness that is non drowsy? Unfortunately rides like Everest have become "once a day" rides for me and I would like something that can get me back to the good old days of "the more times the better"
Thanks in advance!

I am Timmy

My son used to get motion sickness a great deal - we tried everything! Motion sickness wrist bands - no. Dramamine and Bonine - no. Crystallized ginger - meh, but only after already nauseous. Sugar free peppermint swirls - same. Benadryl works wonders for nausea, after the fact. We resorted to going to the doctor before the trip and having him prescribe Scopolamine patches that he could wear behind his ear, put it on early in the morn, lasts about 3 days (be careful if you swim and while showering, they can come off!) That worked really well. He is grown now and doesn't get it so bad, but we still carry the patches and Benadryl just in case (somehow that does not make him drowsy!) Good luck!

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

I use Bonine. ( Dramamine Non Drowsy contains the same active ingredient). Or buy the generic store brand. They all contain Meclizine 25 mg. Some people still get drowsy with this. Taking it just before bedtime ( it's a once a day medication) can mitigate this. Works like a charm for me, even on a cruise with rocking and rolling seas.

Upvote 0

rufio

Agree with Bonine. I use the generic brand, which you can buy on Amazon really cheap. It got me through my last cruise like a charm and I get bad motion sickness too.

Upvote 0

mbroschak

Original Poster
I use Bonine. ( Dramamine Non Drowsy contains the same active ingredient). Or buy the generic store brand. They all contain Meclizine 25 mg. Some people still get drowsy with this. Taking it just before bedtime ( it's a once a day medication) can mitigate this. Works like a charm for me, even on a cruise with rocking and rolling seas.
Thanks for the advice, I've never heard of this before, I will definitely get some!

Upvote 0

danitaytay

Seabands work wonders for me! They're little wristbands with acupressure points on them and you just wear them throughout the day and they really help. If my motion sickness gets really bad I'll take dramamine too, but the Seabands usually do the job. And I think they only cost about $9 at the drugstore.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Bonie or less drowsy Dramamine works well for me.

The big mistake most people make with the motion sickness medications is they do not take them soon enough. I see so many people take one just before an attraction or after they are already sick which borders on useless. Taking them a couple hours prior or the night before works much better.

Upvote 0

Roknrollrghostr

This may seem like very obvious advice but in addition to any medication make sure you get a good night's rest, have something to eat before you get out to the parks and stay hydrated. I know the rest part is tricky in Disney! At home we have a boat and when the water gets choppier I can sometimes feel ill but if I make sure I follow those three rules I'm usually ok.

Upvote 0

DisAl

I use the store brand of Bonine. I have not tried taking it the night before, I just take it first thing in the morning before we leave the motel. It takes an hour or so to become effective. Since the dosage is supposed to last 24 hours taking it at bedtime the night before should probably work too. Bonine works for me for such rides as Star Tours, Mission Space, and Seven Dwarfs Mine train, but I still can't handle those Teacups...:confused:

Upvote 0

TARDIS

Bonnie or Dramamine the night before. And Benadryl that helps too. I try to make sure I drink plenty of water and eat well before rough rides. I also chew peppermint gum while riding. I get motionsick if I scroll my computer screen too fast lol and that's what my doctor recommended.

Upvote 0

SSH

If you try the bonine and it still doesn't work, try the rx patch. My husband had zero luck with the pills and even the non-drowsy bonine made him drowsy. We finally resorted to the patch - and man what a difference! :D

Now he can snorkel, sail on small boats in fairly active water, he did the Harry Potter rides at Universal- all stuff he could never tolerate before. It's been a huge blessing. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Upvote 0

GVentola

Getting motion sickness on rides is a rather recent development for me. Used to never happen, then I went on the red side of the Dragon Challenge at Harry Potter, and suddenly experienced it. (The blue side, which I had previously ridden on another day did not bother me.) So I read this thread with interest. @mbroschak--I can't figure your icon out. I see fingers and a not-so-hidden Mickey, but I can't tell what the rest of the photo is showing. Dying of curiosity to know! :)

Upvote 0

KCheatle

I take the non-drowsy (or less drowsy...whatever it is) Dramamine at the beginning of each day before we head to the parks. That's usually all I need for the day. I also take 800 mg Advil in the morning as I tend to get headaches with high-intensity rides, and then the headaches make me nauseous (it's a vicious circle :(). The combo has worked like a charm for me.

Upvote 0

DisAl

I wonder why Disney does not provide "barf bags" like the airlines do? It seems like that would be a good idea for some of the more intense rides. Dealing with what the CMs call a "protein spill" has to be one of the most unpleasant aspects of the job. I remember one time getting off Mission Space and there was a cast member there in the gift shop asking people to please keep the aisle in the store that led to the outside clear because some guests urgently needed to visit the shrubbery just outside the door. :eek:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I wonder why Disney does not provide "barf bags" like the airlines do? It seems like that would be a good idea for some of the more intense rides. Dealing with what the CMs call a "protein spill" has to be one of the most unpleasant aspects of the job. I remember one time getting off Mission Space and there was a cast member there in the gift shop asking people to please keep the aisle in the store that led to the outside clear because some guests urgently needed to visit the shrubbery just outside the door. :eek:
They do have barf bags on M:S.

spacebarf4.JPG

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom