Need some help

correcaminos

Honestly, I look at these forums as something that will be read by the OP and others seeking advice, they are a learning tool. Proper advice was given by us all as well as pointing this out as a cautionary tale to prospective buyers who may think they have it figured out. The OP also insists they knew what they were doing, rather than admit they might not have, as evidenced by this topic post itself.

I do get some of that. I get clarifying things and stating things so that other readers are aware. I just agree that this thread stepped beyond that and in an accusatory way. That's not helpful.

slappy magoo

I do get some of that. I get clarifying things and stating things so that other readers are aware. I just agree that this thread stepped beyond that and in an accusatory way. That's not helpful.
TBH I don't think things got accusatory until the OP came back and insisted he had done quite a bit of research into DVC. Even then, no one was calling him names but pointing out that anyone who not only researched the pros and cons of DVC but actually bought it should know a contract is a contract. And it sounds like in this case there are two contracts, the contract to buy and the contract to finance. I know some contracts for some purchases or finance agreements might afford some wiggle room, like a grace period on your credit card. But to want to "get out" of any contract(s) for up to a year because it's inconvenient now and then pick it back up when you're in a better situation does not sound like someone who actually researched DVC, at least the financial responsibility of it.

And as has been written, people do come here looking for advice as to whether DVC is right for them. We can all offer our spreadheets and pinpoint the moment where DVC became a value, and non-members can point out we're not taking into consideration investing that money or taking advantage of promotional offers and so on. But people should be aware that buying into DVC is as much a financial responsibility as it is any kind of "investment."

But FWIW I think the OP got advice about as good as it gets, rent out 1-2 years worth of points to cover his financing and payments or put it up on the resale market. Renting out the points might not cover all the cost of fees and finance payments, but it'll help. Putting it up on the resale market, he might take a hit, but hopefully not a big one, hopefully he'll make enough to pay off most of his contract. Anything else seems like he'll be reneging on his contract. DVC might be willing to "Buy back" his contract, but it'll wind up as a hit on his credit score and he probably doesn't need that right now on top of medical payments and catching up to lost work. I'd say for now renting is the best short term solution, one that won't require lawyers and deed transfers and perhaps sketchy people trying to buy his share, and then hope his credit situation improves enough in 1-2 years that he can start taking advantage of his ownership again

dizneycraig

I love how some people think they know it all. Instead of trying to HELP, they have to rub salt in the wound. Why on earth would you tell the OP that he made a mistake or criticize his decisions? He just wanted some advice.

ToTBellHop

I love how some people think they know it all. Instead of trying to HELP, they have to rub salt in the wound. Why on earth would you tell the OP that he made a mistake or criticize his decisions? He just wanted some advice.
Because this is an internet message board where people share their opinions? It’s 2018. Everybody judges everyone else for everything. It’s a risk that comes with putting your story out in the open. Also, there isn’t really a nice way to say, “no, you can’t just renege on a contract. Because law.

Club Cooloholic

No. The OP is responsible for his own decisions, not me. The OP has received a number of helpful recommendations here, just not what he hoped for because it’s not possible. People are allowed to share their opinions.
You just contribute to the problem.
Some of your criticizing actually gave advice. as well ss cautioned how not to get into this situation(that was for others considering buying in as this is a forum and you have to figure other folks not just the OP read this. You think it makes us feel superior, I think writing what you did makes you feel that way as well as does nothing to help the OP.

dizneycraig

Some of your criticizing actually gave advice. as well ss cautioned how not to get into this situation(that was for others considering buying in as this is a forum and you have to figure other folks not just the OP read this. You think it makes us feel superior, I think writing what you did makes you feel that way as well as does nothing to help the OP.
Um, whatever means of rationalization you need to make you feel better. You are just deflecting the issue. Some of these members have thousands of posts and they have an opinion about everything!

DHH

Original Poster
I would like to thank everyone who has posted. All opinions appreciated. Plans are under way to sell contract, probably gonna cost me a little money. Again Thanks for your help. Moderators please close this discussion.

Club Cooloholic

I would like to thank everyone who has posted. All opinions appreciated. Plans are under way to sell contract, probably gonna cost me a little money. Again Thanks for your help. Moderators please close this discussion.
Good move. With the prices going up every week it seems you might not lose as much as you think, I wish you the best

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom