Need help with linking MDE accounts

kbmum

Original Poster
I linked my parents' MDE account with mine in 2014. The link still shows in both of our accounts. We're now getting ready for another trip this summer, but specific details missing. My parents' tickets are in their account, but don't show in my account, so it doesn't look like we'll be able to make FastPass reservations with them at the 60-day window. My account has our dining reservations, but those don't show up in my parents' account. How can I fix this? I'm nervous about deleting the existing link and starting over again, especially if that might delete them from our dining reservations.

Rob562

I linked my parents' MDE account with mine in 2014. The link still shows in both of our accounts. We're now getting ready for another trip this summer, but specific details missing. My parents' tickets are in their account, but don't show in my account, so it doesn't look like we'll be able to make FastPass reservations with them at the 60-day window. My account has our dining reservations, but those don't show up in my parents' account. How can I fix this? I'm nervous about deleting the existing link and starting over again, especially if that might delete them from our dining reservations.

A couple quick questions so I can narrow down the problem: When you log into *your* MDE account and go to the My Family & Friends page, what does it say under your parents' names? ("You manage this account " or "****** has a Disney account"?)

Edit: a follow up question, if the answer is "you manage this account", do your parents *also* have a login account?

Also, were the tickets purchased separately or as part of a package?

-Rob

kbmum

Original Poster
A couple quick questions so I can narrow down the problem: When you log into *your* MDE account and go to the My Family & Friends page, what does it say under your parents' names? ("You manage this account " or "****** has a Disney account"?)

Edit: a follow up question, if the answer is "you manage this account", do your parents *also* have a login account?

Also, were the tickets purchased separately or as part of a package?

-Rob

Under both of their names, it says "You manage this account." They have their own login account, for which I have the username and password. The tickets were purchased separately.

I called Disney last night and the rep told me to enter my parents' ticket numbers into their account, which I did. They have their own hotel reservations (a split stay, to make things even more complicated) and I don't want to do anything to mess up those reservations, their tickets, and their MagicBands.

Rob562

Under both of their names, it says "You manage this account." They have their own login account, for which I have the username and password. The tickets were purchased separately.

I called Disney last night and the rep told me to enter my parents' ticket numbers into their account, which I did. They have their own hotel reservations (a split stay, to make things even more complicated) and I don't want to do anything to mess up those reservations, their tickets, and their MagicBands.

OK. This should actually be a (fairly) simple fix, though with a few steps.

The problem is that there are two copies of your parents in the MDE system. One set is their own account, the other is the ones listed under your account that you control. (In Disney's eyes, the two separate accounts are simply two people who have the same name) What you need to do is become friends with the real parents' account profile, and then everything should merge (any MagicBands and reservations listed under your account, plus the new tickets and hotel reservations under theirs) into a single account controlled by your parents.

There is one small issue, though. (I'm going to refer to them as Primary Parent and Secondary Parent) You can easily merge the primary parent's account, but if the other parent is "managed by them" I'm not entirely sure that you can merge a "managed by you" profile with a "managed by them" profile in a single step.

So if you want to have an entirely do-it-yourself method, do this:
(It's important to do Steps 1 and 2 in this order)

Part 1:
-Go into their Family & Friends list. Next to the Secondary Parent's name click on "connect through a Disney account".
-Fill in secondary parent's email address and click Done.
-Log out of MDE.
(At this point ignore the email that's sent to secondary parent, I always have trouble trying to use the links it provides)
-Log into MDE using Secondary Parent's email address. If they don't have a MDE account, create one.
-They should have a notification to accept the friend request from Primary Parent.
-Accept the friend request. Then log out.
-You're done. Primary Parent and Secondary Parent now each have their own profiles.

Part 2:
Now moving on to your account. You're basically repeating what I just laid out above:
-Go into your account. On the Family & Friends listing, click on "Connect through a Disney account" next to Primary Parent.
-Fill in their email address and click Done.
-Repeat this process by sending an invite to Secondary Parent's email address)
-Repeat by logging into Secondary Parent's account and accepting.

That's it. Now you, plus each parent, should all have their own "managed by them" account. Any old MagicBands should have moved over, dining reservations, hotel reservations and tickets should all point to the proper place, and there's only one version of each person in MDE. And even if Secondary Parent never wants to log in again, they don't have to. Since they are friends with both you and Primary Parent, you can each make plans for them through MDE.

It's fairly simple, just a lot of steps and while you're doing it you have to make sure to keep the accounts straight in your head.

-Rob

kbmum

Original Poster
There is one small issue, though. (I'm going to refer to them as Primary Parent and Secondary Parent) You can easily merge the primary parent's account, but if the other parent is "managed by them" I'm not entirely sure that you can merge a "managed by you" profile with a "managed by them" profile in a single step.

My dad is the primary parent and he has my mom listed on his account as "managed by" him. Back in 2014, we were able to link both of them to my account without my mom having to create her own account. Do you know if something changed with MDE since 2014 that would prevent me from linking them without creating an account for my mom?

Rob562

My dad is the primary parent and he has my mom listed on his account as "managed by" him. Back in 2014, we were able to link both of them to my account without my mom having to create her own account. Do you know if something changed with MDE since 2014 that would prevent me from linking them without creating an account for my mom?

Nothing has changed.

I'm a little confused though, because you said they were listed as "managed by you" when looking under your account. If their own login account was linked, their names would say as "Dad has a Disney account" for his listing and "Dad manages this account" for your Mom's. Is it possible that you only thought the two accounts were linked together at the time?

When dealing with My Disney Experience, I always tell my friends that every adult should have their own login account using an email address they'll always have (I use my Gmail address). It minimizes the chances of people ending up with multiple versions of themselves and then going through the difficulty of trying to get the accounts separated.

-Rob

kbmum

Original Poster
Nothing has changed.

I'm a little confused though, because you said they were listed as "managed by you" when looking under your account. If their own login account was linked, their names would say as "Dad has a Disney account" for his listing and "Dad manages this account" for your Mom's. Is it possible that you only thought the two accounts were linked together at the time?

When dealing with My Disney Experience, I always tell my friends that every adult should have their own login account using an email address they'll always have (I use my Gmail address). It minimizes the chances of people ending up with multiple versions of themselves and then going through the difficulty of trying to get the accounts separated.

-Rob

If you're confused, that makes two of us! :) Under my account, my parents are listed individually as "You manage this account," but the details from their joint account don't show up in mine. Under my dad's account, my mom is also listed there as "You manage this account."

My parents have only one email account that they both use. So, I guess I have to set up a separate account for my mom, but now the issue is what will happen with their joint hotel reservations, MagicBand order, and tickets. After talking it over with my husband, we vaguely remember that we had a problem linking my mom to our account without her having her own account, and it took a while on the phone with a Disney rep to get it sorted out. I just wish I could remember what we did.

Rob562

If you're confused, that makes two of us! :) Under my account, my parents are listed individually as "You manage this account," but the details from their joint account don't show up in mine. Under my dad's account, my mom is also listed there as "You manage this account."

My parents have only one email account that they both use. So, I guess I have to set up a separate account for my mom, but now the issue is what will happen with their joint hotel reservations, MagicBand order, and tickets. After talking it over with my husband, we vaguely remember that we had a problem linking my mom to our account without her having her own account, and it took a while on the phone with a Disney rep to get it sorted out. I just wish I could remember what we did.

As long as the hotel reservation is in your Dad's name as the primary guest, you should be OK.

I think getting your mom an email address so she has her own account is the best way to proceed from where you are now. (This isn't quite how you'd handle things if you were starting from scratch)
Otherwise you'll have old Bands that may or may not work, wondering which "mom" the dining plans are linked to, etc.

-Rob

CAV

OK. This should actually be a (fairly) simple fix, though with a few steps.

The problem is that there are two copies of your parents in the MDE system. One set is their own account, the other is the ones listed under your account that you control. (In Disney's eyes, the two separate accounts are simply two people who have the same name) What you need to do is become friends with the real parents' account profile, and then everything should merge (any MagicBands and reservations listed under your account, plus the new tickets and hotel reservations under theirs) into a single account controlled by your parents.

So if you want to have an entirely do-it-yourself method, do this:
(It's important to do Steps 1 and 2 in this order)

Part 1:
-Go into their Family & Friends list. Next to the Secondary Parent's name click on "connect through a Disney account".
-Fill in secondary parent's email address and click Done.
-Log out of MDE.
(At this point ignore the email that's sent to secondary parent, I always have trouble trying to use the links it provides)
-Log into MDE using Secondary Parent's email address. If they don't have a MDE account, create one.
-They should have a notification to accept the friend request from Primary Parent.
-Accept the friend request. Then log out.
-You're done. Primary Parent and Secondary Parent now each have their own profiles.

Part 2:
Now moving on to your account. You're basically repeating what I just laid out above:
-Go into your account. On the Family & Friends listing, click on "Connect through a Disney account" next to Primary Parent.
-Fill in their email address and click Done.
-Repeat this process by sending an invite to Secondary Parent's email address)
-Repeat by logging into Secondary Parent's account and accepting.

That's it. Now you, plus each parent, should all have their own "managed by them" account. Any old MagicBands should have moved over, dining reservations, hotel reservations and tickets should all point to the proper place, and there's only one version of each person in MDE. And even if Secondary Parent never wants to log in again, they don't have to. Since they are friends with both you and Primary Parent, you can each make plans for them through MDE.

It's fairly simple, just a lot of steps and while you're doing it you have to make sure to keep the accounts straight in your head.

-Rob
Anyone who doesn't believe this is INSANITY is a lost cause.

My neice linked my wife for a vacation they are going on in December. It unlinked us. Now I can't re-link it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom