Need help with cancelled Disney trip/Trip Insurance!

mediamaven97

We booked our Disney trip through Small World Vacations and purchased the trip insurance. Our trip was supposed to be June 21-27 and of course, was canceled. I booked airfare through Delta in March because it was cheap and our Small World Vacation agent said that as long as we had the travel insurance to go ahead and book the airfare at the cheap rate.

I have filled out a claim through the travel insurance company (which said it can take up to 4 weeks to review and process) but my big question is: Do I need to cancel the airfare through Delta? I have never had to cancel airfare before and don't know if canceling will screw up my insurance claim. I can't get through to Delta to get a straight answer. We are not rebooking at this time.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

DisneyJoe

If the Delta flight still shows as an active flight, and you don't appear at the airport to fly it, they'll mark you as a no-show and keep your money.

If you cancel the Delta flight, they may possibly give you a credit to use within a certain period of time. I am not sure of their current policies and the fare class of the booking.

I would have asked the insurance company about your flight before filing the claim...but of course hindsight is 20/20....

Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
You're asking the wrong crowd.
This is a question for you TA and the travel insurance company as to how you should be moving forward if the travel insurance covers the flight.

Upvote 0

mediamaven97

Original Poster
You're asking the wrong crowd.
This is a question for you TA and the travel insurance company as to how you should be moving forward if the travel insurance covers the flight.
Sorry! I just don't want to make any mistakes with this. I emailed the travel insurance company and they said I should contact Delta about it. I can't contact Delta. I just get a recording that says "We can't take your call right now" and then it disconnects. Sooo, I have absolutely no idea what I should do. I just thought someone on this forum might have had a similar experience, that's all.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Sorry! I just don't want to make any mistakes with this. I emailed the travel insurance company and they said I should contact Delta about it. I can't contact Delta. I just get a recording that says "We can't take your call right now" and then it disconnects. Sooo, I have absolutely no idea what I should do. I just thought someone on this forum might have had a similar experience, that's all.
Try contacting Delta thru other means: Email, Facebook, Twitter, etc. I couldn’t get thru to my local Massage Envy because they were closed so I messaged the company privately on Twitter and they contacted me within a couple of hours. Obviously Delta is probably busier right now but it’s worth a shot.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
As a PP said contact them another way. It even gives you suggestions of how before it hangs up

Upvote 0

Ghostdog

Delta .com has all the info you need on cancelling flights during this pandemic. I cancelled our April trip and was able to reschedule for August using an ecredit. We decided to cancel our August trip as well because we’re not ready to travel at this time with uncertainty of what will be offered/open at WDW and the fact that there are still new spikes of the virus popping up all over. I went in to modify my flight reservation with Delta and it gave me the option of requesting a refund, which I jumped on. That request was done on May 28 and is still pending, the website says that with the high volume of calls/requests happening it can take up to 30 days for a reply.
If you booked directly through Delta, I would go directly to Delta.com to find my answers.

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

I have cancelled (or were cancelled by the airline) now for four different flights with four different companies due to WDW being closed and the pandemic. American Airlines gave me my money back within days. Frontier gave me my money back with no problems because I paid for refundable tickets during booking. Spirit issued me vouchers that are good until late 2021, never offered a cash refund (I was okay with that as I will use them for my June 2021 trip). Lastly, Southwest, who cancelled my flight(s) three separate times, was the biggest pain of them all as they insisted on vouchers and it took me two months, a BBB claim, a claim with Paypal, a claim with the Department of Transportation, and lastly a claim with my credit card for them to finally pony up a cash refund after I won the Paypal claim. I briefly looked at the Delta site and saw this: https://www.delta.com/us/en/travel-update-center/cancel-change-requirements. I would be proactive rather than reactive, especially since you were to travel in less than a week. I heard a lot of travel insurances were not paying out as some actually have exclusions for pandemics/epidemics or other "acts of nature" outside of their control.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I have cancelled (or were cancelled by the airline) now for four different flights with four different companies due to WDW being closed and the pandemic. American Airlines gave me my money back within days. Frontier gave me my money back with no problems because I paid for refundable tickets during booking. Spirit issued me vouchers that are good until late 2021, never offered a cash refund (I was okay with that as I will use them for my June 2021 trip). Lastly, Southwest, who cancelled my flight(s) three separate times, was the biggest pain of them all as they insisted on vouchers and it took me two months, a BBB claim, a claim with Paypal, a claim with the Department of Transportation, and lastly a claim with my credit card for them to finally pony up a cash refund after I won the Paypal claim. I briefly looked at the Delta site and saw this: https://www.delta.com/us/en/travel-update-center/cancel-change-requirements. I would be proactive rather than reactive, especially since you were to travel in less than a week. I heard a lot of travel insurances were not paying out as some actually have exclusions for pandemics/epidemics or other "acts of nature" outside of their control.
I had a great experience with Southwest during this. If you were booked to fly between March and September 7th you could cancel and the credit would be good to fly between now and September 7th 2022!
I was supposed to go in August.
I took that extended expiration and ran. I can't believe I have 2+ years to fly! And believe me I will because it's the only airline I fly with to Disney.
I bought "wanna get away" so I was prepared to not get cash back.
I was quite happy with what they offered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hcalvert

I had a great experience with Southwest during this. If you were booked to fly between March and September 7th you could cancel and the credit would be good to fly between now and September 7th 2022!
I was supposed to go in August.
I took that extended expiration and ran. I can't believe I have 2+ years to fly! And believe me I will because it's the only airline I fly with to Disney.
I bought "wanna get away" so I was prepared to not get cash back.
I was quite happy with what they offered.
This would have been my first time flying with Southwest and now I never will. The law clearly states if an airline cancels their flight for any reason that they are to refund the passenger, not rebook them without their permisison and/or give travel credits. I read recently that Southwest has a class action suit against them for these business practices as well as several state attorney generals are leaning on the Department of Transportation to take punitive action against them. No thanks. Enjoy flying with them as I will not and will take my money elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
This would have been my first time flying with Southwest and now I never will. The law clearly states if an airline cancels their flight for any reason that they are to refund the passenger, not rebook them without their permisison and/or give travel credits. I read recently that Southwest has a class action suit against them for these business practices as well as several state attorney generals are leaning on the Department of Transportation to take punitive action against them. No thanks. Enjoy flying with them as I will not and will take my money elsewhere.
I get it but it was not just Southwest that was trying to pull that. It was other airlines and other companies on general like Ticketmaster. They were rem 8i ne they cannot do that and it wascorrected.
I have had terrible experiences with other airlines so you can feel free to have them lol. .

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

I get it but it was not just Southwest that was trying to pull that. It was other airlines and other companies on general like Ticketmaster. They were rem 8i ne they cannot do that and it wascorrected.
I have had terrible experiences with other airlines so you can feel free to have them lol. .
If I had a choice, I would not fly with any of them and use my private jet. Of course, I would have to get mega-rich and buy my jet first and not care about the environment as well.

Upvote 0

MissViv

Love Southwest! It is the only airline we use when we fly anywhere, unless it is not available. The best prices and we have their credit card so we get a lot of free flights. I have no problem cancelling and funds going back to points to use later, they never expire!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom