Need help with a new trip - Using DVC or not?

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Hey there fellow disney fans, its been a while since I planned a trip and thanks to the pandemic, my 2020 trip was cancelled.

I'm looking for a trip back in February of 2022, and I have the Poly booked, and while I wait and hope that we'll see some incentives to reduce the cost, the wife asked about renting DVC and staying there.

Any input of where to go to start looking and what costs savings are we talking about

I'm going Feb 19th through the 26th and cost is about 8k for the resort and 5 day (non-park hopping) tickets for the 4 of us.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I recommend the sponsor of this forum.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
I recommend the sponsor of this forum.

First, let me say I might be doing something wrong, but when I plug in my dates to the above linked URL
I see the following
1622194454582.png

While 4,344 is cheaper then the 5882 (and 1,500 is not something to sneeze at) I currently am paying, my reservation is the rack rate and I'm hoping to get the winter incentive and reduce that by about 25% (there's a current incentive with that percentage). All things being equal, renting DVC doesn't seem like a huge cost savings.

I'm not looking for reasons to NOT go the DVC route but there are pros and cons, one of the pros I thought was saving $$

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Renting DVC vs paying rack rate is not a huge savings. You do save the $25/day resort parking fee, since guests using DVC points do not have to pay it.

Where you can really save by renting is by booking a confirmed reservation. These are typically last-minute deals where the DVC points owner is highly motivated to get rid of their booked stay so they won’t “lose” their points. I’ve booked two stays doing this at 60/70% off rack rate. But you have to be flexible with your dates.

See here:

As you said, there are pros and cons to renting and you have to decide what’s best for you. I just wanted to give you a starting point to learn about the renting process. :geek:

Upvote 0

Tom 55

After many times going to Disney and staying at different hotels for the September 2021 trip I decided to try renting DVC points. I was looking for 2 moderate rooms for Wife and I and Nephew his wife and 2 kids. The price for DVC 2 bedroom villa at Saratoga Springs was more than 1K less. Plus all the amenities of the Villa. It has capacity of 8 so Niece and boyfriend are coming too. Since I have made the reservations I have been getting ads for discounted DVC rentals. As the date on points are coming to an end owners are willing to sell at a discount. Looking to get at least some value out of points before they expire. If you are willing to be flexible and wait to the last minute to book you can score a good deal.

I just looked and there are 6 nights for standard studio at Poly in October for $4100.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
If you are willing to be flexible and wait to the last minute to book you can score a good deal.
Yeah, that's the thing, with kids in school and we're really unable to pull them out due to draconian attendance policies, we are limited to school vacations and I think waiting until we're close to February will be a mistake for us.

I appreciate what you and @Tuvalu are saying but for my situation right now, I don't trying to get a last minute trip booked is in our best interest. We'll trudge through the planning and paying for a trip for our February 2022 trip and knowing that we'll have all of the reservations and tickets lined up well in advance of our trip :)

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

First, let me say I might be doing something wrong, but when I plug in my dates to the above linked URL
I see the following

While 4,344 is cheaper then the 5882 (and 1,500 is not something to sneeze at) I currently am paying, my reservation is the rack rate and I'm hoping to get the winter incentive and reduce that by about 25% (there's a current incentive with that percentage). All things being equal, renting DVC doesn't seem like a huge cost savings.

I'm not looking for reasons to NOT go the DVC route but there are pros and cons, one of the pros I thought was saving $$
I looked at this.

A PVB Standard room requires 181 points to book for the week you requested.

At $4,344.00, you are being charged $24 per point.

Unless the DVC rental market has radically changed, that's an insane price.

David's DVC Rental is charging $20 per point. That comes out to $3620.

There are other places where you might be able to get $18 per point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom