Need help picking a 2018 week to travel to WDW

Jess G

Taking in crowds and heat which week would you choose to go to WDW? I don't have many options to choose from with work. I am not able to take off from mid October - January ... and on top of that every 3 months I do inventory which is about a 2 week process that I must be present for.

Here's my options... and why I'm not sure about it lol

1) 2/25 - 3/3 - unsure because 2/25 is part of princess half marathon weekend.

2) 4/22 - 4/28 - this is iffy with work there's about a 75% chance I can go this week lol ... also part of SW half marathon weekend.

3) 5/13 - 5/19 - concerned about the heat ... might sound silly but we were there for a relaxing trip this past May and the sun was so strong I can't imagine seriously hitting the parks like we want to do for this vacay.

4) 9/17 - 9/23 - don't want to wait this long to go back! worried about hurricanes and heat. But we would take advantage of MNSSHP and F&W

Which would you choose and why?

THANKS GUYS !

JIMINYCR

May... Cause thats when we will be there, 5/2 - 5/16. :p:p:p Our past May trips were enjoyable. We didnt find the heat that unbearable and crowd numbers were moderate.

The marathons do fill up the resorts and brings crowd numbers up in the parks . Lots of runners bring families along and take extra days to make vacations out of it.
We have gone in Feb and those trips were great, gave us a good break from the winter and when we came home Spring was on its way.
An April trip after school vacation is OK but you may have some crowds lingering on at the beginning of your time.
Weve gone in Sept and caught a lot of rainy days and building humidity. And it used to be a much slower time of year but no longer.

Upvote 0

Jess G

Original Poster
You can't plan your next trip until you finish your trip report from your last trip!!!
Lollll the problem is I don't take many pics there and when I line up the ones I do have they don't make sense. I have to finish it before you go in sept!

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

Taking in crowds and heat which week would you choose to go to WDW? I don't have many options to choose from with work. I am not able to take off from mid October - January ... and on top of that every 3 months I do inventory which is about a 2 week process that I must be present for.

2) 4/22 - 4/28 - this is iffy with work there's about a 75% chance I can go this week lol ... also part of SW half marathon weekend.

3) 5/13 - 5/19 - concerned about the heat ... might sound silly but we were there for a relaxing trip this past May and the sun was so strong I can't imagine seriously hitting the parks like we want to do for this vacay.

4) 9/17 - 9/23 - don't want to wait this long to go back! worried about hurricanes and heat. But we would take advantage of MNSSHP and F&W

THANKS GUYS !
We were there for the Princess weekend in 2015 and the Star Wars weekend in 16 and neither one was too bad. Don't get me wrong it was noticeable but nothing that I would avoid going that weekend because of. We have done 2 May trips and they were both good. Never been in September but we love the MNSSHP.

I would say we would do the Sept week just because of the MNSSHP. I think the MNSSHP parade is our favorite of all of the parades!

Upvote 0

LeighM

My favorite trip was actually the first week in March. We had the play, stay, and dine package so we were able to save money. The weather was fantastic and no humidity at all. Because of that, we were able to get so much done without the heat/humidity wearing us down. When we were there the Flower and Garden Festival just started. The crowds weren't bad at all because it was after the runDisney but before spring break crowds. I've been twice in September/October and I'm not doing that again LOL. Doesn't matter how much I like the Food and Wine and Halloween. I have to let a lot of time go by so I can forget the crowds and heat. Once I forget how miserable it can be, then I can go back :) I would rather go in May than September honestly.

Upvote 0

Miceberg

It's true that Marathon weekends bring in extra people, but a good percentage of them come in, run the race and then hightail it outta there. Last time I ran one, I was surprised by the number of people who ran in the morning and left later that night.

Upvote 0

Jess G

Original Poster
If the heat in May bothered you, you will die in September.....

Honestly I've been in September a couple times and I'm going back for a weekend this September (yayy!!) I've also done April and loved the weather, obviously hated the crowds. I don't know if it was abnormally hot that week in May that I was there. Or maybe I just got sunburnt to early in the trip. but I was struggling with that heat loll.

Upvote 0

Jess G

Original Poster
My favorite trip was actually the first week in March. We had the play, stay, and dine package so we were able to save money. The weather was fantastic and no humidity at all. Because of that, we were able to get so much done without the heat/humidity wearing us down. When we were there the Flower and Garden Festival just started. The crowds weren't bad at all because it was after the runDisney but before spring break crowds. I've been twice in September/October and I'm not doing that again LOL. Doesn't matter how much I like the Food and Wine and Halloween. I have to let a lot of time go by so I can forget the crowds and heat. Once I forget how miserable it can be, then I can go back :) I would rather go in May than September honestly.

I've brought my decision down to first week of March or first week of Feb!

Upvote 0

yensid67

Even though you have it narrowed down, I want to chime in and give my advice! :) Our last trip was May 2013 and what I can remember, they weather was warm, but not too hot or humid! We were there the first week so that might have had something to do with it!? But our next trip in 2018 is...guess when it is? That's right! May! We are going the first week again and hope the weather is the same! But think about it...most people complain abut the heat and humidity, BUT for the majority of the time in the parks, you are usually inside an air conditioned building or standing in an outside queue that has fans. Its very rare that you are standing outside! The most we were in the sun was when we were walking to the next attraction! Plus anytime after May I think you will have to deal with more rain and hurricane season!
I don't know if this swayed you more for a May 2018 trip or not, but thanks for allowing me to voice my opinion! HOPE TO SEE YOU MAY 6-15 2018!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The Half Marathon is Sunday, February 25th. By Monday, most runners will be leaving, so I wouldn't worry about arriving on Sunday. Only concern would be Spring Break - Easter is April 1st next year.

Same with April - you're arriving the day of the last race and most runners will be leaving by Monday. And no spring break to worry about, since Easter is the first of the month.

I'd go with April.

Upvote 0

DPN

May... Cause thats when we will be there, 5/2 - 5/16. :p:p:p Our past May trips were enjoyable. We didnt find the heat that unbearable and crowd numbers were moderate.

The marathons do fill up the resorts and brings crowd numbers up in the parks . Lots of runners bring families along and take extra days to make vacations out of it.
We have gone in Feb and those trips were great, gave us a good break from the winter and when we came home Spring was on its way.
An April trip after school vacation is OK but you may have some crowds lingering on at the beginning of your time.
Weve gone in Sept and caught a lot of rainy days and building humidity. And it used to be a much slower time of year but no longer.

THANKS GUYS !
we go in May and will be there in may '18 as well. I fell like it's he calm before the summer storm...we love the May weather but that's just our family. I personally don't get the felling of overcrowding during that time either. Good luck!

Upvote 0

WDW_Firefighter

Was it warm enough to swim in the resort pools, the first week of March?

Upvote 0

Jess G

Original Poster
Even though you have it narrowed down, I want to chime in and give my advice! :) Our last trip was May 2013 and what I can remember, they weather was warm, but not too hot or humid! We were there the first week so that might have had something to do with it!? But our next trip in 2018 is...guess when it is? That's right! May! We are going the first week again and hope the weather is the same! But think about it...most people complain abut the heat and humidity, BUT for the majority of the time in the parks, you are usually inside an air conditioned building or standing in an outside queue that has fans. Its very rare that you are standing outside! The most we were in the sun was when we were walking to the next attraction! Plus anytime after May I think you will have to deal with more rain and hurricane season!
I don't know if this swayed you more for a May 2018 trip or not, but thanks for allowing me to voice my opinion! HOPE TO SEE YOU MAY 6-15 2018!!!!!!!

Yayyy! You bring up a good point... When we were there May 13 - 17 we spent A LOT of time outside. A lot of bike riding and pool time. I think my issue was getting badly sunburnt day 1 so I the rest of the trip was tough lol .

Upvote 0

yensid67

Yayyy! You bring up a good point... When we were there May 13 - 17 we spent A LOT of time outside. A lot of bike riding and pool time. I think my issue was getting badly sunburnt day 1 so I the rest of the trip was tough lol .

STAY INSIDE and at least be conscious of the sunburning

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom