NEED HELP-Our First Time with Only Carry-ons

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Hi all! :D

DH and I will be taking our annual trip to WDW this Fall and are taking on what is a challenge for us-traveling with no checked bags, carry-ons only.

We are traveling JetBlue and are aware of the rules and bag dimensions and whatnot, but have a liquids question: does the guideline apply literally to liquids only, or toiletry type items?
For example, we use a facial cleanser which technically isn't a liquid, it's more of a lotion consistency but does TSA qualify this as a liquid?? What about moisturizers and lotions? Toothpaste? Shaving cream? Deodorants? Pill medications?

Worst case scenario, we just buy travel sized items to avoid wasting space and hassle like shampoo and shaving cream at Publix which we always stop at anyway.

Thanks so much!!

Last edited:

TheMouseFan

DH and I will be taking our annual trip to WDW this Fall and are taking on what is a challenge for us-traveling with no checked bags, carry-ons only.

We are traveling JetBlue and are aware of the rules and bag dimensions and whatnot, but have a liquids question: does the guideline apply literally to liquids only, or toiletry type items?
For example, we use a facial cleanser which technically isn't a liquid, it's more of a lotion consistency but does TSA qualify this as a liquid?? What about moisturizers and lotions? Toothpaste? Shaving cream? Deodorants? Pill medications?

Worst case scenario, we just buy travel sized items to avoid wasting space and hassle like shampoo and shaving cream at Publix which we always stop at anyway.

Thanks so much!!
Lotion, toothpaste, and shaving cream are all considered liquids. I don't believe deodorant is considered a liquid. Pills most definitely are not.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Lotion, toothpaste, and shaving cream are all considered liquids. I don't believe deodorant is considered a liquid. Pills most definitely are not.
Thanks this is helpful. I figured but search it and couldn't find a detail explanation of what they consider a liquid or not. They really should have that somewhere unless i completely missed it. Thanks!

Weather_Lady

Thanks so much!!

Yes -- all lotions, pastes, and gels count as a "liquid" and will have to go in your 3-1-1 bag, so you'll need travel sizes (or just buy the travel-sized bottles, and decant your larger products into them -- I bought a couple of travel bottles at the Dollar Store that I've used for 10 years). This includes everything from squeezable lip gloss to hand sanitizer.

We travel carryon only, too (even on JetBlue). My recommendations for packing light would be:

1 - Pack "double-duty" items (e.g., body lotion with sunscreen already in it, a sundress that doubles as a swimsuit cover-up)
2 - Share whatever you can (e.g., one sample-sized can of shaving cream for his face and her legs)
3 - Don't bring what the hotel is already providing (e.g., unless you need something special like dandruff shampoo, don't bring shampoo, conditioner, hair dryer, swim towels)
4 - If your 3-1-1 bag is packed to the gills, swap liquid items for non-liquid where possible (e.g., pack Tylenol hard capsules instead of gel tabs, a bar of facial soap instead of liquid cleanser, eyeliner pencil instead of liquid eyeliner, etc. -- this helps me a lot as my 3-1-1 bag is always stuffed)
5 - With regard to all other items, pack just one outfit per person per day, and wear all of your bulkiest items (e.g., jacket, sneakers, long pants) on the plane.

I wish you luck and hope you enjoy the ease and freedom of traveling "carryon only" as much as we do.

Last edited:

lilclerk

I think it depends on the deodorant. Solid/stick is okay, gel/spray need to go in the plastic bag and be less than 3 or 3.4 or whatever it is ounces.

NYwdwfan

Thanks so much!!

Just out of curiosity - why? My preference is always to have to carry as little as possible through the airport. I always wonder why - if the airline gives you one free packed bag each - people prefer to carry all of their stuff. Especially if you are staying onsite and using magical express. Doesn't that hamper your ability to buy souvenirs if your bag is packed solid going down there? Just wondering.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Just out of curiosity - why? My preference is always to have to carry as little as possible through the airport. I always wonder why - if the airline gives you one free packed bag each - people prefer to carry all of their stuff. Especially if you are staying onsite and using magical express. Doesn't that hamper your ability to buy souvenirs if your bag is packed solid going down there? Just wondering.
Yeah i always thought this myself until now. I am a minimalist so I wanted to capitalize the first time we were able to use a carry-on because this is the shortest trip we've taken meaning we can take less items. I like the idea of having my baggage with me instead of letting it go to some stranger who clearly kicks in around i.e. the large and many footprints on my suitcase. I also hate the anxiety of my bag possibly getting lost and we don't feel like wasting time waiting for bags to come through when we can be off enjoying ourselves or going home. We get a rental car and do not use magical express.

NYwdwfan

Yeah i always thought this myself until now. I am a minimalist so I wanted to capitalize the first time we were able to use a carry-on because this is the shortest trip we've taken meaning we can take less items. I like the idea of having my baggage with me instead of letting it go to some stranger who clearly kicks in around i.e. the large and many footprints on my suitcase. I also hate the anxiety of my bag possibly getting lost and we don't feel like wasting time waiting for back to come through when we can be off enjoying ourselves or going home. We get a rental car and do not use magical express.

Makes sense - I guess for a short trip when you're not traveling with kids it's definitely more doable. My carryon is usually stuffed with things to keep them busy on the flight (and snacks for hubby). For some unknown reason none of THEM feel the need to carry their own stuff. :rolleyes:

njDizFan

Yeah, JetBlue does give you the first checked bag free, unlike almost all other airlines(at least domestically).

If you don't mind waiting for your luggage or if you are using MDE, that is also my recommendation

flynnibus

Premium Member
Even as a seasoned business traveler I avoid the drama of carry-on only.

I don't want to deal with leaving my stuff or finding alternatives due to the oz limit
I don't want the drama at the checkpoint... nor having to pull more stuff out
I don't want to haul my suitcase more than I need to
I don't want the drama of having to find the overhead space (more and more a problem now due to the bag fees)

The biggest gain from it is avoiding the check-in counter... The gain on the other side of not having to wait 10-20mins is not worth it IMO. If you have to pay for a checked bag, obviously that is a factor too.

The checkin counter and the time that takes is the only thing that still sways me. And normally since I've not shopped for the special travel size stuff.. I usually give up and just check my bag :)

YMMV :)

Weather_Lady

I can't speak for the OP, but having experienced lost luggage (one occasion, but it was fairly catastrophic) and badly damaged luggage (multiple occasions - what's the point of free checked baggage when I have to buy a new carryon every third trip because somebody tore the handle or broke a wheel off of my bag?) in the past, we just didn't want the stress of having to worry about what was happening to our things after we checked a bag. Experience as a frequent business traveler taught me that packing light and smart and keeping my stuff with me was preferable to the chance of lost/stolen items and time wasted in baggage claim.

If you have a decent rolling little carryon (and you don't overpack it!!!), it's really not that much of a hassle to navigate through the airport and find space for it on the plane. We check-in online and print our boarding passes at home, so when we arrive at the airport, we can head straight to security. (We also select seats in the middle or toward the rear of the aircraft since JetBlue boards from the rear, so finding overhead bin space is never a worry, either.) The kids are so well-versed in "the drill," even my 5-year-old can toss her jacket and 3-1-1 bag into a bin, throw her bag up on the conveyor and march right through the metal detector without assistance. The kids also love having their own bags and taking them through the airport -- makes them feel very grown up! And when we arrive in Orlando -- we're off! No baggage claim. No worries that DME will misplace our bags or that they won't get to the room at a convenient time...

Last edited:

NYwdwfan

I can't speak for the OP, but having experienced lost luggage (one occasion, but it was fairly catastrophic) and badly damaged luggage (multiple occasions - what's the point of free checked baggage when I have to buy a new carryon every third trip because somebody tore the handle or broke a wheel off of my bag?) in the past, we just didn't want the stress of having to worry about what was happening to our things after we checked a bag. Experience as a frequent business traveler taught me that packing light and smart and keeping my stuff with me was preferable to the chance of lost/stolen items and time wasted in baggage claim.

If you have a decent rolling little carryon (and you don't overpack it!!!), it's really not that much of a hassle to navigate through the airport and find space for it on the plane. We check-in online and print our boarding passes at home, so when we arrive at the airport, we can head straight to security. (We also select seats in the middle or toward the rear of the aircraft since JetBlue boards from the rear, so finding overhead bin space is never a worry, either.) The kids are so well-versed in "the drill," even my 5-year-old can toss her jacket and 3-1-1 bag into a bin, throw her bag up on the conveyor and march right through the metal detector without assistance. The kids also love having their own bags and taking them through the airport -- makes them feel very grown up! And when we arrive in Orlando -- we're off! No baggage claim. No worries that DME will misplace our bags or that they won't get to the room at a convenient time...

Definitely makes sense - I think if I had ever had my luggage lost or damaged I would go the same route as you. My husband is a bit of an over-packer so I can't see him EVER being able to use just a carry-on. It also helps us that my parents come too - and they drive - so we can send ahead an extra outfit or two and not need to wait for DME to have what we need when we arrive.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Okay so here is my next question: is TSA really sticklers about the 1 quart bag or can I put everything in a 1 gallon bag? A 1 quart bag is pretty tight. One of my coworkers told me yesterday that they're really not sticklers on the size of the bag as long as all the liquids inside meet the ounce requirement. Thoughts?

Weather_Lady

Okay so here is my next question: is TSA really sticklers about the 1 quart bag or can I put everything in a 1 gallon bag? A 1 quart bag is pretty tight. One of my coworkers told me yesterday that they're really not sticklers on the size of the bag as long as all the liquids inside meet the ounce requirement. Thoughts?

They are sticklers at our airport! YMMV. Does your DH have any extra room in his one-quart bag that you could use (since the allotment is "one one-quart bag per traveler")? Otherwise, take a look at what's in the bag and ask yourself if you really need it (or don't have a non-liquid alternative), or whether anything in it can be decanted into a smaller container.

If worse comes to worst, you could always pick up an item or two at your hotel's shop after you arrive. They are well-stocked with just about anything you could need.

Last edited:

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
They are sticklers at our airport! YMMV. Does your DH have any extra room in his one-quart bag that you could use (since the allotment is "one one-quart bag per traveler")? Otherwise, take a look at what's in the bag and ask yourself if you really need it (or don't have a non-liquid alternative), or whether anything in it can be decanted into a smaller container.

If worse comes to worst, you could always pick up an item or two at your hotel's shop after you arrive. They are well-stocked with just about anything you could need.
Ok good to know thank you!! I think we can make it for otherwise we will just buy what we need upon arrival. Thanks!

MOXOMUMD

Makes sense - I guess for a short trip when you're not traveling with kids it's definitely more doable. My carryon is usually stuffed with things to keep them busy on the flight (and snacks for hubby). For some unknown reason none of THEM feel the need to carry their own stuff. :rolleyes:
I can sympathize. :)

yensid67

There's a simple answer to this question...

buy what you need when you get there!

and then throw it out before you come home! That's what I do a lot of the times, I don't have to think about it and then over think it again and end up driving myself crazy!

Phonedave

Even as a seasoned business traveler I avoid the drama of carry-on only.

I don't want to deal with leaving my stuff or finding alternatives due to the oz limit
I don't want the drama at the checkpoint... nor having to pull more stuff out
I don't want to haul my suitcase more than I need to
I don't want the drama of having to find the overhead space (more and more a problem now due to the bag fees)

The biggest gain from it is avoiding the check-in counter... The gain on the other side of not having to wait 10-20mins is not worth it IMO. If you have to pay for a checked bag, obviously that is a factor too.

The checkin counter and the time that takes is the only thing that still sways me. And normally since I've not shopped for the special travel size stuff.. I usually give up and just check my bag :)

YMMV :)

When I used to travel a lot for business (not so much now - we have cut back on expenses. WebEx is a wonderful thing) I would always check luggage, even if it was carry on size. I hated lugging stuff around the airport. Given the fact that I always traveled with a company laptop, and we are not allowed to check the company laptop, I was going to be dragging around a laptop bag at the least, so anything else was checked. Maybe I am lucky, but I have never had a lost bag. I also few Continental (back when it still existed) most of the time and I was Elite/Presidents Club, so I checked luggage at the first class counters and my luggage was tagged to come off first. It was well worth it back then.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom