Need advice—Universal/WDW split trip

Need some advice, please! To thoroughly enjoy a first-ever trip to Universal, as well as hit the highlights of WDW for a teen boy who’s not really into Disney animated movies (but wants to do FoP and SWGE)…: 1) how many days would you recommend for each; 2) is it worth staying at a premier resort to get the express unlimited pass during mid-January crowds; 3) any other advice?

Background: I’ve been to WDW several times, but never Universal; boyfriend and his son haven’t been to either. Purpose of trip is to celebrate his son’s 16th birthday. Expected crowd levels on our travel dates make me lean toward Universal first, then Disney. Thinking maybe 3 days each, with park hopper option.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Weather_Lady

[Rolling up my sleeves].

Next month, my family will be arriving in Orlando for our second split Univeral/WDW trip, and we've also done trips to each by themselves. Here's my advice:

1 - Absolutely stay at one of the Universal premier hotels for unlimited express pass. Then crowd levels and touring plans will practically be a non-issue, not to mention you can go without transportation if you'd otherwise be renting a car. (All the premier hotels are a 5-10 minute walk from both parks and CityWalk, and boat service is also offered.) The premier hotels are all fantastic: for a 16-year-old boy, I'd recommend Hard Rock Hotel if he's much into music or just enjoys a bit of noise. Otherwise, Royal Pacific if you'd prefer a relaxed, modern Polynesian vibe. Portofino Bay is lovely but perhaps a little too sophisticated to appeal to teens.

2 - Don't buy multiday tickets for Universal. Buy 2-park (or 3, if Volcano Bay is a must for you) Seasonal Annual Passes, especially if you think there's the slightest chance you'd want to come back to Universal within a year of your initial visit. They cost no more than 3-day park-to-park tickets, come with some extra little perks, are blacked out only for Christmas/New Year's week, Easter week, and the month of July, and entitle you to passholder discounts on your hotel room, 30% for the premier hotels. There's a whole thread on the DISboards dedicated to keeping an eye on when APH discounts come out: book the room you want ahead of time, and then modify it to apply the discount when they get released. Have some second and third choices in mind in case the discounts don't apply to the first room you chose, but apply to other premier rooms you'd be happy with. Be aware that APH discounts often get released in "waves," so the inventory of APH-eligible rooms can and does change, and checking back often is a good idea. https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/tickets-packages/annual-passes/hotel-offers If you feel like the Seasonal Annual Passes are too expensive and you really just want 2-day tickets, consider getting the Seasonal Annual Pass just for yourself -- that way you can still get 30% off on your hotel room, as the discount only requires one of the people in the room to be a passholder, PLUS seasonal passholders save 10% when purchasing multi-day park tickets at the gate (e.g., for the other 2 in your party). The amount you save on the room/tickets should eclipse the additional monies you spent for the pass. https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/tickets-packages/annual-passes/uoap-types#seasonal-pass

3 - At both WDW and Universal, allot about 1 day per park -- that is, one day for USF, one day for IOA, then 4 for WDW. This will allow you to do everything at both Universal parks, and the majority of what's available at the WDW parks. Add another day (or dedicate a half-day out of the WDW leg) if you'd like a mid-week pool day break or want to visit a water park.

4 - Structure the order of the two parts of your trip in whatever way appeals to you, keeping in mind that the WDW leg is going to require significantly more energy, pre-planning and waiting in line. The Universal leg will be your relaxed, more spontaneous time. One of the main differences between WDW and Universal is size: if Universal is David, WDW is Goliath. This helps WDW in that it has expansive, more immersive and impressive lands within the parks, but hurts it in the sheer amount of walking and use of multiple modes of transportation it requires just to get around. Universal's smaller footprint makes for much greater ease of touring -- you can hop from one park to the other in mere minutes -- but hurts it by forcing reliance on a much larger proportion of screen-based attractions to make up for the lack of physical space.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MotherofaPrincessLover

[Rolling up my sleeves].

Next month, my family will be arriving in Orlando for our second split Univeral/WDW trip, and we've also done trips to each by themselves. Here's my advice:

1 - Absolutely stay at one of the Universal premier hotels for unlimited express pass. Then crowd levels and touring plans will practically be a non-issue, not to mention you can go without transportation if you'd otherwise be renting a car. (All the premier hotels are a 5-10 minute walk from both parks and CityWalk, and boat service is also offered.) The premier hotels are all fantastic: for a 16-year-old boy, I'd recommend Hard Rock Hotel if he's much into music or just enjoys a bit of noise. Otherwise, Royal Pacific if you'd prefer a relaxed, modern Polynesian vibe. Portofino Bay is lovely but perhaps a little too sophisticated to appeal to teens.

2 - Don't buy multiday tickets for Universal. Buy 2-park (or 3, if Volcano Bay is a must for you) Seasonal Annual Passes, espcially if you think there's the slightest chance you'd want to come back to Universal within a year of your initial visit. They cost no more than 3-day park-to-park tickets, come with some extra little perks, are blacked out only for Christmas/New Year's week, Easter week, and the month of July, and entitle you to passholder discounts on your hotel room, 30% for the premier hotels. There's a whole thread on the DISboards dedicated to keeping an eye on when APH discounts come out: book the room you want ahead of time, and then modify it to apply the discount when they get released. Have some second and third choices in mind in case the discounts don't apply to the first room you chose, but apply to other premier rooms you'd be happy with. Be aware that APH discounts often get released in "waves," so the inventory of APH-eligible rooms can and does change, and checking back often is a good idea. https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/tickets-packages/annual-passes/hotel-offers If you feel like the Seasonal Annual Passes are too expensive and you really just want 2-day tickets, consider getting the Seasonal Annual Pass just for yourself -- that way you can still get 30% off on your hotel room, as the discount only requires one of the people in the room to be a passholder, PLUS seasonal passholders save 10% when purchasing multi-day park tickets at the gate (e.g., for the other 2 in your party). The amount you save on the room/tickets should eclipse the additional monies you spent for the pass. https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/tickets-packages/annual-passes/uoap-types#seasonal-pass

3 - At both WDW and Universal, allot about 1 day per park -- that is, one day for USF, one day for IOA, then 4 for WDW. This will allow you to do everything at both Universal parks, and the majority of what's available at the WDW parks. Add another day (or dedicate a half-day out of the WDW leg) if you'd like a mid-week pool day break or want to visit a water park.

4 - Structure the order of the two parts of your trip in whatever way appeals to you, keeping in mind that the WDW leg is going to require significantly more energy, pre-planning and waiting in line. The Universal leg will be your relaxed, more spontaneous time. One of the main differences between WDW and Universal is size: if Universal is David, WDW is Goliath. This helps WDW in that it has expansive, more immersive and impressive lands within the parks, but hurts it in the sheer amount of walking and use of multiple modes of transportation it requires just to get around. Universal's smaller footprint makes for much greater ease of touring -- you can hop from one park to the other in mere minutes -- but hurts it by forcing reliance on a much larger proportion of screen-based attractions to make up for the lack of physical space.
Do you know how far in advance Universal releases their passholder rates for hotels?

Upvote 0

EnjoyingLife

Original Poster
[Rolling up my sleeves].

2 - Don't buy multiday tickets for Universal. Buy 2-park (or 3, if Volcano Bay is a must for you) Seasonal Annual Passes, espcially if you think there's the slightest chance you'd want to come back to Universal within a year of your initial visit. They cost no more than 3-day park-to-park tickets, come with some extra little perks, are blacked out only for Christmas/New Year's week, Easter week, and the month of July, and entitle you to passholder discounts on your hotel room, 30% for the premier hotels. There's a whole thread on the DISboards dedicated to keeping an eye on when APH discounts come out: book the room you want ahead of time, and then modify it to apply the discount when they get released. Have some second and third choices in mind in case the discounts don't apply to the first room you chose, but apply to other premier rooms you'd be happy with. Be aware that APH discounts often get released in "waves," so the inventory of APH-eligible rooms can and does change, and checking back often is a good idea. https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/tickets-packages/annual-passes/hotel-offers If you feel like the Seasonal Annual Passes are too expensive and you really just want 2-day tickets, consider getting the Seasonal Annual Pass just for yourself -- that way you can still get 30% off on your hotel room, as the discount only requires one of the people in the room to be a passholder, PLUS seasonal passholders save 10% when purchasing multi-day park tickets at the gate (e.g., for the other 2 in your party). The amount you save on the room/tickets should eclipse the additional monies you spent for the pass. https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/tickets-packages/annual-passes/uoap-types#seasonal-pass

This is exceptionally helpful advice! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Do you know how far in advance Universal releases their passholder rates for hotels?
It varies quite a bit, but it's typically 3-6 months out. Rates for my dates (third week in August) were released near the end of May, although the first two weeks of August were released in February. You can track historical trends by browsing this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...for-universal-loews-hotel-properties.3771155/

FWIW, we usually book our Universal hotel several-months-to-a-year out, using the best available rate offered at the time. Then I bookmark an APH search for our dates on the Universal website and check it periodically, especially during the 3-6-months-out window. Once I see an APH rate we want, I either modify our present reservation to get it, or if that option isn't available, I simply book the new room at the APH rate and then cancel the initial reservation.

Upvote 0

MotherofaPrincessLover

It varies quite a bit, but it's typically 3-6 months out. Rates for my dates (third week in August) were released near the end of May, although the first two weeks of August were released in February. You can track historical trends by browsing this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...for-universal-loews-hotel-properties.3771155/

FWIW, we usually book our Universal hotel several-months-to-a-year out, using the best available rate offered at the time. Then I bookmark an APH search for our dates on the Universal website and check it periodically.
That's my plan too. I've never booked a Universal resort with a APH discount so just wasn't really sure when they were released. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

OneofThree

We typically plan a trip to USO once a year, and stay at HRH. Unlimited fastpass changes touring those parks entirely. While the lines may not be long in the off season, being able to get on anything almost right away saves quite a bit of time when you add it up over the course of a day, or several days.

Upvote 0

crawale

Need some advice, please! To thoroughly enjoy a first-ever trip to Universal, as well as hit the highlights of WDW for a teen boy who’s not really into Disney animated movies (but wants to do FoP and SWGE)…: 1) how many days would you recommend for each; 2) is it worth staying at a premier resort to get the express unlimited pass during mid-January crowds; 3) any other advice?

Background: I’ve been to WDW several times, but never Universal; boyfriend and his son haven’t been to either. Purpose of trip is to celebrate his son’s 16th birthday. Expected crowd levels on our travel dates make me lean toward Universal first, then Disney. Thinking maybe 3 days each, with park hopper option.

If you stay in a premier hotel, one of three, you will be able to walk on most of the rides without having to line up which is a huge plus. This means you can get round the two parks riding everything in a couple of days. We stayed for 4 days and it was way too long. A 16 year old would love the roller coasters at Universal and want to continually ride them. If you cost the room at a premier hotel against a cheaper hotel and buying the Express Pass I think you will come out cheaper with the premier room. Plus from any of the three hotels you can walk to both parks and City Walk. I have just costed a trip for the two of us plus three grandsons and for less than the cost of a cheap room and the Express Pass we can afford a suite with of course Express Pass access included.

Upvote 0

adimond

Have to agree with the 2/4 Universal/Disney split if you've got 6 days. 2/5 would be even better...that's what I did on my last trip, but in the reverse order. That ratio seemed pretty much ideal (except, of course, that I never do want to leave when it's time to).

It's doubtful you'll have many attractions left undone at Universal after 2 days with unlimited Express passes (unless you really like waterparks, and in that case mid-January is not the time to go)! Express is very effective; you'll hop directly onto a lot of things, many of which are 3-minute thrill rides. The Universal parks are right up against each other, so it's more like one big park, further adding to the speed with which you can do everything.

And at Disney, one day per park is about enough time to feel reasonably satisfied that you've had the full experience, and you can even budget in a little flexibility for park-hopping if there's something you feel you missed out on in a previous park.

Upvote 0

yensid67

Here's my 2 cents worth...

SINCE this is celebrating 16 year old birthday...I would ask him how many days he wants to spend in Universal(and IoA?) If JUST Universal Studios, then I would opt for the 2 day park-to-park ticket...this way if he wants to check out IoA he has the option...although he may think its a little childish!?
Then I would plan the rest of the time at Disney... First on the list, Hollywood Studios on Day One for Star Wars; Next Is Animal Kingdom for FoP. If nothing else there excites him, hop over to Epcot for the remainder of the day and catch the fireworks; Day Three brings your 5 day adventure to an end at Magic Kingdom!(or go back to Animal Kingdom/Epcot)
ADVICE:
Maybe show him the THRILL of the Disney Stories like Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs(MINE TRAIN COASTER), The Yeti(EXPEDITION EVEREST), Tower of Terror, Rockin Roller Coaster, etc. Maybe if he sees the thrill of Disney he will become a Disney-lover as well!?

I would stay off property to save some money! But if money is not an issue, then I would stay where you are most comfortable

Upvote 0

EnjoyingLife

Original Poster
ADVICE:
Maybe show him the THRILL of the Disney Stories like Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs(MINE TRAIN COASTER), The Yeti(EXPEDITION EVEREST), Tower of Terror, Rockin Roller Coaster, etc. Maybe if he sees the thrill of Disney he will become a Disney-lover as well!?
Thanks for the advice. I told his dad the same thing, that there are a lot of things I think he’ll like at Disney, he just doesn’t know about them yet. 😁

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom