Neat article on the construction of WDW in 1971

brkgnews

Original Poster
Stumbled upon this today from a 1971 Popular Mechanics magazine.

Read the full article on Google Books...
http://bit.ly/dgXJJi

Or glance at a couple of scans from the seven-page article...

Attachments

• books1.jpg
    books1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 74
  • books2.jpg
    books2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 62

rsoxguy

Really interesting article. Thanks for the link.
BTW, am I the only one who noticed the monkeys watching TV and thought, "okaaaay"?

EPCOT Explorer

"The Clean, GREEN World of Tomorrow"...How they only knew. ;)

Thanks, Jackie.

I wish Disney would do something in today's world worthy of such esoteric praise again. :eek: It's been a while since they made news in that respect.

...Like that awesome interview with David Brinkley on the EPCOT Building Code that I can't find. :lol:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Great read, thank you. I couldn't help sense the irony in the line "man will be master- not victim- of the machine." I guess that was before the concept of the Yeti in E:E was in anyone's head.....

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Great article, and sad at the same time that those ideas weren't really used in other places to their potential

hazelrah

Excellent find!

Hmmm... 35,000 employees on opening day. The number of hotels has doubled, doubled, and doubled again. Number of parks quadrupled. Two water parks, a shopping village 3 times the size of the original, massive transportation infrastructure, multiple new golf courses, an entire massive sports complex... and the number of employees is 58,000.

Any wonder why they have problems keeping everything in pristine working order?

Wilt Dasney

Nice find, Jackie. Even though we've come so far from a technological standpoint, there's something I envy about the optimism people attached to technology a few decades ago. We've accomplished more, but we seem less excited today.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Stumbled upon this today from a 1971 Popular Mechanics magazine.

Read the full article on Google Books...
http://bit.ly/dgXJJi

Or glance at a couple of scans from the seven-page article...

OH MY GOD....I've looked for that article for years. THANK YOU. How did you ever find it? This article started my love of WDW.

I based a whole school research paper on this very article, along with supplemental research of course!

EPCOT Explorer

Glad y'all are enjoying it.

Evan: I don't have that Brinkley piece in video form, but there is a similar article in print form, written by a New York magazine columnist)...
http://books.google.com/books?id=Es...AGAZINES&rview=1&pg=PA41#v=onepage&q=&f=false
(New York Magazine; Feb 7, 1972) :D
Win. Thanks. :lol:

Excellent find!

Hmmm... 35,000 employees on opening day. The number of hotels has doubled, doubled, and doubled again. Number of parks quadrupled. Two water parks, a shopping village 3 times the size of the original, massive transportation infrastructure, multiple new golf courses, an entire massive sports complex... and the number of employees is 58,000.

Any wonder why they have problems keeping everything in pristine working order?
:( So true.

I wonder if that's inherently the problem, but a decade ago, we had about the same number of everything, and it wasn't this bad. :lol:

Nice find, Jackie. Even though we've come so far from a technological standpoint, there's something I envy about the optimism people attached to technology a few decades ago. We've accomplished more, but we seem less excited today.
Everything technologically is too common today, we are just used to it.

And made ADD by it.:lookaroun
OH MY GOD....I've looked for that article for years. THANK YOU. How did you ever find it? This article started my love of WDW.

I based a whole school research paper on this very article, along with supplemental research of course!
Too cool!

brkgnews

Original Poster

Glad I could help. Found it using a simple googlin' for "Disney World" keyword articles published around the time of park opening :lol:

Google Books is a beautiful thing :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom