News Near daily morning Extra Magic Hours added at Disney's Animal Kingdom May through June

Tony the Tigger

1. It seems like a test (only 2 months.) (Thanks, Captain Obvi.)
2. Uni lets hotel guests in one hour early most days (every day at Volcano Bay.)
3. For the cynics: it could potentially eventually be monetized like a Park-hopper option.
4. Gotta do something to relieve the pressure on FoP.
5. Encourages hotel stays with parking fees.
6. Spreads out EMH attendance with other parks.

Cool beans.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
1. It seems like a test (only 2 months.) (Thanks, Captain Obvi.)
2. Uni lets hotel guests in one hour early most days (every day at Volcano Bay.)
3. For the cynics: it could potentially eventually be monetized like a Park-hopper option.
4. Gotta do something to relieve the pressure on FoP.
5. Encourages hotel stays with parking fees.
6. Spreads out EMH attendance with other parks.

Cool beans.
Most likely #4 (only).

drizgirl

Pandora will have been open a year and attendance compared with prior year will show a nosedive. I think they're doing whatever they can to pad the numers.

jakeman

Pandora will have been open a year and attendance compared with prior year will show a nosedive. I think they're doing whatever they can to pad the numers.
Wait...what?

Attendance is less, so they are extending hours? I'm not sure I remember a time when attendance declined and Disney reacted by extending hours in the parks (even EMH).

This conclusion doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless I'm missing some key facts somewhere.

drizgirl

Wait...what?

Attendance is less, so they are extending hours? I'm not sure I remember a time when attendance declined and Disney reacted by extending hours in the parks (even EMH).

This conclusion doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless I'm missing some key facts somewhere.
Chill, dude. Just floating theories. What's yours?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I don't think so, for several reasons. First, most people aren't visiting WDW multiple times a year, meaning most visitors in Spring / Summer 2018 are still on their fist trip since Pandora has been open. Second, extra magic hours don't drive attendance in any meaningful way. Third, Disney doesn't report park-by-park attendance, they report total attendance. Any increase in attendance at Animal Kingdom due to EMH would be lost attendance at some other park, which isn't a net gain for Disney.

I think the most likely driver of this is exactly the opposite of what you're suggesting. Disney expected Avatar attendance to be waning at this point, but it hasn't, so they're increasing capacity to accommodate the still-high crowd levels.

twebber55

I don't think so, for several reasons. First, most people aren't visiting WDW multiple times a year, meaning most visitors in Spring / Summer 2018 are still on their fist trip since Pandora has been open. Second, extra magic hours don't drive attendance in any meaningful way. Third, Disney doesn't report park-by-park attendance, they report total attendance. Any increase in attendance at Animal Kingdom due to EMH would be lost attendance at some other park, which isn't a net gain for Disney.

I think the most likely driver of this is exactly the opposite of what you're suggesting. Disney expected Avatar attendance to be waning at this point, but it hasn't, so they're increasing capacity to accommodate the still-high crowd levels.
i know this
i was at WDW two weeks ago and the only park that felt really crowded was DAK
Big waits even past 7 o clock so you may be right

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

too little too late... crowds are already at annual all time highs basically - and look at how many things have they added over the years that replaced existing attractions (still doing it in many cases as well) - not saying it shouldn't happen... but with the crowd levels... they need and have needed for many years new attractions to spread crowds out

plus with their speedy construction - we have to wait years for new things

poor planning (or lack thereof) is where we are today - meanwhile get more $ out of guests in any way we can while the park experience is not quite what it once was

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
maybe if they would build more new attractions at the parks to spread out the crowds instead of just closing/replacing some....

they need more "people eaters" in all parks
Doesn't work. As a matter of fact, it has the inverse effect.

When you add an attraction, you:

A. Increase capacity.
B. Increase demand, which increases crowd size.

If B > A, the crowding problem just got worse.

too little too late... crowds are already at annual all time highs basically
Right, and when you add loads of stuff, crowds are going to be at an even higher all time high.

There's one solution to crowds and one solution only. Raise prices (more).

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
too little too late... crowds are already at annual all time highs basically - and look at how many things have they added over the years that replaced existing attractions (still doing it in many cases as well) - not saying it shouldn't happen... but with the crowd levels... they need and have needed for many years new attractions to spread crowds out

plus with their speedy construction - we have to wait years for new things

poor planning (or lack thereof) is where we are today - meanwhile get more $ out of guests in any way we can while the park experience is not what it once was

Maybe if they just kept raising the cost of admission it would thin out the crowds.:cautious::cautious::cautious:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
You're right. Everything is terrible and nothing they are doing is good enough.

I forgot the audience in here. That's my bad.

I'll tap out and let you guys continue to crap on a good thing.

I didn't say it's terrible or a bad thing... just not what it once was... and they are dropping the ball IMO

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You're right. Everything is terrible and nothing they are doing is good enough.

I forgot the audience in here. That's my bad.

I'll tap out and let you guys continue to crap on a good thing.
Yup. I've never seen a group of people with the cognitive dissonance to complain about something and then complain about that thing's exact opposite.

Remove extra magic hours? Complain
Add extra magic hours? Complain
Too much traffic? Complain
Charge for parking? Complain
Nothing new? Complain
Close old stuff to build something new? Complain
Build quickly? It's cheap and rushed.
Build slowly? What the hell takes them so long?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom