NCL...trouble

EOD K9

I’m waiting for DCL to cancel my July 20th Cruise. The next question is if I cash out or take a future credit. As you said, bad sign for the industry.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
I’m waiting for DCL to cancel my July 20th Cruise. The next question is if I cash out or take a future credit. As you said, bad sign for the industry.
What makes this all more troubling is I actuslly invested a little bit in NCL during the dip because they were one if the few cruuse lines that was not launching any new ships in the near future, and had more cash reserves due to not paying dividends. I cant see Carnival or the others looking all that good right now. DCL has the rest of the company to lean on, but overall this is bad.

Benjamin_Nicholas

It's tough for me to weep for companies who dodge US taxes by registering their ships in foreign waters.

And after the lawsuits against them have all settled, we'll see how they restructure. With more info coming out regarding their handling of COVID (and how early they knew about it), trial lawyers are going to have a field day with this.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
It's tough for me to weep for companies who dodge US taxes by registering their ships in foreign waters.

And after the lawsuits against them have all settled, we'll see how they restructure. With more info coming out regarding their handling of COVID (and how early they knew about it), trial lawyers are going to have a field day with this.
That tax dodging is why you probably arent hearing too much bailout talk.

MaryJaneP

In addition to avoiding taxes, we thought foreign flagging addressed avoiding a whole bunch of other regs such as labor, pollution, labor, and legal responsibility etc. etc. But we love cruising DCL when budget allows.

Phonedave

In addition to avoiding taxes, we thought foreign flagging addressed avoiding a whole bunch of other regs such as labor, pollution, labor, and legal responsibility etc. etc. But we love cruising DCL when budget allows.

Often a flag of convenience saves tax dollars, allows the ship to use cheaper labor, and relaxed safety regulations.

Having your ships flagged in a different country is not the only reason for no bail outs.

The companies themselves, at a top level, are often not US companies, despite the number of US citizens they employ and having "business HQ" in Florida (often).

For example - Royal Caribbean, which owns Royal Caribbean and Celebrity is a Liberian company, not US

Carnival is a weird thing with two companies (British and US) doing business as one

Even DCL is not a US company - They are an English company.

ChuckElias

Theme parks with reduced capacity and social distancing is one thing, but a confined space like a cruise ship. Nope.
It's very possible that cruise ships will return to service with reduced capacity, as well. I just spoke to an MSC rep today who said they weren't sure what the CDC will require and that it wouldn't be a surprise if ships sailed at 50% capacity to begin.

disney4life2008

Often a flag of convenience saves tax dollars, allows the ship to use cheaper labor, and relaxed safety regulations.

Having your ships flagged in a different country is not the only reason for no bail outs.

The companies themselves, at a top level, are often not US companies, despite the number of US citizens they employ and having "business HQ" in Florida (often).

For example - Royal Caribbean, which owns Royal Caribbean and Celebrity is a Liberian company, not US

Carnival is a weird thing with two companies (British and US) doing business as one

Even DCL is not a US company - They are an English company.

Hence cheap labor.

Phonedave

It's very possible that cruise ships will return to service with reduced capacity, as well. I just spoke to an MSC rep today who said they weren't sure what the CDC will require and that it wouldn't be a surprise if ships sailed at 50% capacity to begin.

That would be interesting, because it essentially means every other stateroom is empty. Sure there would be some cases where two friends that were sharing a stateroom may now take two, but when I cruise with my wife, I want to stay in the same stateroom.

If it happens, I wonder how they will break it up. Will they keep the same ratio of inside/porthole/veranda/suites or do something diferent.

Wendy Pleakley

Even at reduced capacity, you're living on a ship with the same group of people for several days or weeks. If someone has COVID, I feel like there's still nowhere to hide.

In addition, are ports of call going to be comfortable with cruise ship passengers disembarking?

There are risks with anything, and there are things I'd be more comfortable doing right now, such as eating in a restaurant or getting a hair cut. A cruise is at or near the bottom of that list.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom